Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

Irony58

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Good observation. And then they just check off to get replies by email, so they can just hit and run.

Disabling the "connect with <insert social media network" feature on the forums would probably eliminate most of these types of posts. Based on post count and usernames, I imagine these class of users are doing a quick Google search, connecting to the forum via one of the search returns and blindly hitting the "connect with facebook/g+/etc" button and posting a "PLZ HELP" reply without reading a single thing. If registration even requires a teeny bit of effort, chances are the lazier people will take the extra 5 minutes to read instead of having to manually register.

pennysheaven

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Actually....its coming down to all the ads that they want you to see - now they are telling you what YOU want!

I an so disgusted with how much software and apps are telling us how we should adjust to them - not the other way around.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Ads are the price of a "free" internet. Maybe eventually sites like this will offer paid subscriptions that are ad free. Actually, there used to be some sites I visited that offered that option. Almost no one was willing to pay for "free" content. I've gotten pretty good at ignoring them.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Actually....its coming down to all the ads that they want you to see - now they are telling you what YOU want!

I an so disgusted with how much software and apps are telling us how we should adjust to them - not the other way around.
And you're willing to pay HOW MUCH to avoid the ads? I must have missed that part in your message.

Bradley Crager

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
You can fix this problem by uninstalling the update, then putting the Navigation icon on your home screen. After you put the icon on the home screen, you can update google maps and you will still have the navigation icon. You will have to open it once or twice before it jumps straight into Navigation, but after that, it will go straight into it no problem. Just figured this out while playing around with it for a bit. Worked for me on the Galaxy S3.

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site

Google is providing a free service in return we help them with data mining. I don't see any problem with that. If you hate the ads, then don't use open free software. But keep in mind, all the best software these days are open source OR free. Ubuntu Server, Android, Google products, Drupal (which AC site is on), Wordpress, etc.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but the problem is, it will end up automatically updating it again soon enough so that in order to always see that blue arrow and use that great, older nav program, you need to keep deleting it. Total pain!

Is it just me, or is this replacement Google app horrible? I can't even figure out how to use it as a nav. It is horrific! Can anyone help me out????? I loved that "blue arrow" app and used it almost daily!

Not if u choose to not auto update.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
On my GS4, the navigation icon remains and opens to the navigation search screen like when you press the Y in maps.

Mine is the same way on my S4.. the odd thing is on my One, the Navigation icon is gone.. both have the same version, 7.1.0

litlbitartsy

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much.. I have it back on my phone now. You're the only one of all the websites that had a quick solution.. and simple enough for me to understand and do it myself.:cool:

belindaj

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Go into the play store, tap menu, go to settings, and turn off automatic updates. This has been discussed multiple times, too.

Before I get another standard "read the previous hundred pages of replies" I HAVE. Weeks ago, and followed the directions. Both to uninstall the Maps update (which I have done now probably at least 3 times as it automatically updates itself without any prompting from me) and I HAVE gone to the play store, settings, and turned off auto updates. As I read through this thread AGAIN today when I discovered that AGAIN my Navigation icon was gone, thinking maybe I missed something somewhere - I went BACK to Play, settings, and yes, my Auto-update apps IS unchecked, and DOES state "Do not auto-update apps".

I'm not stupid, and I do more than just google for a hit and then go away - I DO read entire threads before registering to actually post a question or comment.

The one thing I have done differently today is to add the Navigation icon to my home screen - as someone mentioned that then an update to Maps won't disturb the existing Navigation app - so we'll see if that has any effect. Not 100% positive but I thought I had it on my home screen in the past, which is why I discovered it had gone missing in the first place, but I'm going to cross my fingers and hope it stays put this time.

[Caveat] I see I've ended up in a Galaxy forum despite my best efforts, and I am on an LG phone. So I guess you can just add me to the list of stupid users, although perhaps I've managed to bring to light an unanticipated difference in systems even though the app for all intensive purposes, *should* operate the same. Especially since I have been able to follow every previous instruction to the letter despite it being a differnet phone (the app is after all, still the same app). Let the beatings begin.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Before I get another standard "read the previous hundred pages of replies" I HAVE. Weeks ago, and followed the directions. Both to uninstall the Maps update (which I have done now probably at least 3 times as it automatically updates itself without any prompting from me) and I HAVE gone to the play store, settings, and turned off auto updates. As I read through this thread AGAIN today when I discovered that AGAIN my Navigation icon was gone, thinking maybe I missed something somewhere - I went BACK to Play, settings, and yes, my Auto-update apps IS unchecked, and DOES state "Do not auto-update apps".

I'm not stupid, and I do more than just google for a hit and then go away - I DO read entire threads before registering to actually post a question or comment.

The one thing I have done differently today is to add the Navigation icon to my home screen - as someone mentioned that then an update to Maps won't disturb the existing Navigation app - so we'll see if that has any effect. Not 100% positive but I thought I had it on my home screen in the past, which is why I discovered it had gone missing in the first place, but I'm going to cross my fingers and hope it stays put this time.

[Caveat] I see I've ended up in a Galaxy forum despite my best efforts, and I am on an LG phone. So I guess you can just add me to the list of stupid users, although perhaps I've managed to bring to light an unanticipated difference in systems even though the app for all intensive purposes, *should* operate the same. Especially since I have been able to follow every previous instruction to the letter despite it being a differnet phone (the app is after all, still the same app). Let the beatings begin.

There are two places that you can set to not "Auto Update"
1) In general Google Play settings.
2) In the settings when you are on the page for the App, in Google Play.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my M470BSA using AC Forums mobile app

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Dont see what the big fuss is i got to looking at the navigation app and was thinking why dont they integrate them? It seens to work fine

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Dont see what the big fuss is i got to looking at the navigation app and was thinking why dont they integrate them? It seens to work fine

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

Actually the new one (maps 7.x) works on my phone in Phoenix. If I downgrade to factory it gets stuck looking for GPS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Sandyhosk

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I was really pissed that the factory navigation app was missing, after an unauthorized update of Google Maps. Who is in control of this phone anyway. Thanks for the post on how to restore (settings, apps, maps, uninstall last update). Now things are back to normal. I hate google maps for Android. No place to turn on voice to tell me directions, and no directions list. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!! :)
Sandy

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I was really pissed that the factory navigation app was missing, after an unauthorized update of Google Maps. Who is in control of this phone anyway. Thanks for the post on how to restore (settings, apps, maps, uninstall last update). Now things are back to normal. I hate google maps for Android. No place to turn on voice to tell me directions, and no directions list. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!! :)
Sandy

And what are u talking about??? Google maps does have voice navigation and pretty good I might add.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

George1952

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
My bad. I thought this was a feature that was previously available for some reason. I vaguely recall building a route for a long ride through an unfamiliar area using Maps.

I think I used the desktop version to create a map and accessed it on my phone via the "My Maps" feature, which I can't find with the new version. I don't have ready access to the old version of mobile Maps to see if this was another feature that was yanked.

I don't mean to be overly harsh, but I recall someone saying:
"...if folks would just take a few minutes to either a) explore the new Maps or b) read a few posts in this thread, the signal-to-noise ratio in this discussion would be vastly improved.

Today's smartphone is a true miracle of modern technology. Approach it as such and take a few minutes to try to figure things out on your own. If you take into account all of a smartphone's capabilities, the learning curve of these things is really not that steep. "

This is a big glass house. Nuff said?
Either we divide this forum between novice and advanced, or show tolerance.

Thank you.