Build.prop question

editionfws

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone
I edited my build.prop to say my phone is a galaxy nexus so I can use Google wallet to tap to pay. However s voice doesn't work when the build prop says galaxy nexus.
Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I am using an s3 on att.

Thanka

Sent using AC Forums mobile app

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
S-voice is a Samsung specific program that relies, I suspect, on Samsung specific extensions to Android (Touchwiz). If the app thinks it's running on something other than a Touchwiz based device, It appears it won't run because it believes Touchwiz isn't present. I suspect you'll have to choose which is more important to you.

What do you use s-voice for?

editionfws

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't use svoice for anything currently, but I thought if I got it working, I might use it.
I wanted to enable driving mode, so my messages are read to me when I am driving but it doesn't work. It doesn't read the messages and I'm assuming it is because svoice isn't working.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I thought there was some flavor of the S3 (AT&T?) that supported Google Wallet? If you're fiddling with stuff like build.prop can't you just get it working by making it think it's the appropriate carrier version? (Excuse my ignorance in advance.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The Sprint GS3 includes Google Wallet (and it works very well). Verizon and AT&T are implementing a different one. I'm not sure about T-Mobile.

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Can't you revert the build.prop back after the Google Wallet install and initialization, or am I crazy?

Posted via Android Central App on Manta Ray

editionfws

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm attempting it now, but does anyone have the default att build.prop file, or know exactly how the device name is written?

Thanks

editionfws

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Got it. And just to anyone else, this is what I edited parts back to.

ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
ro.product.name=d2uc
ro.product.device=d2att

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
P.s. totally off topic but what's up with this website stealing threads from AC? Android- Build.prop question: [ Samsung Galaxy S3 ]

Its my exact post. Even "thanks" spelled wrong

I would report that to AC. I'm sure it's a copyright violation, if nothing else.

- - - Updated - - -

Got it. And just to anyone else, this is what I edited parts back to.

ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
ro.product.name=d2uc
ro.product.device=d2att

Does Wallet continue to work after you set build.prop back to these settings?

editionfws

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately no, it doesn't. I did alit of reading about reverting back to the original build prop after Google wallet and a lot of people said make sure you clear your settings in Google wallet, or you risk damaging some security thing. So I cleared it. But what I'm going to do in the next few days is change my build prop back so I can use Google wallet, get it all set up (which seems to take forever), then edit my build prop back without clearing my Google wallet settings.
I'm willing to take the risk :) I'll be getting the s4 fairly soon anyway unless I wait for the note3.

editionfws

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I thought there was some flavor of the S3 (AT&T?) that supported Google Wallet? If you're fiddling with stuff like build.prop can't you just get it working by making it think it's the appropriate carrier version? (Excuse my ignorance in advance.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

Hey @GSDer, sorry I didn't reply to your post but there is no at&t version that will support Google wallet because tmobile, Verizon and at&t all have Isis which essentially does the same thing as Google wallet, and they want you to use their product instead, so they block it. Changing the build prop to the galaxy nexus is a workaround that make gw work, but it kills svoice because your phone thinks its a nexus, and apparently the nexus doesn't have voice (I may be wrong, never looked).
If I change the build prop to think I have a sprint phone (where gw works), I won't get good service, or any service from what I have read.
Also, I'm not using Isis because it won't work on a rooted phone, and there is no workaround yet.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation. I knew there was one carrier that supported Google Wallet but couldn't remember which one.
Sounds like you just need to find someone on Sprint with an S3 that wants to be on AT&T, then you could switch...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta