I am just about to buy my first Samsung phone and wondered about the bottom home button. Many phones have software buttons but Samsung prefer the physical home button and I wondered how it performs over a few years? Any crunching or failures -any of you had buttons that stop responding and need a hard press to get a response?
    07-25-2013 02:42 AM
    Yeah, beats me why they went with a physical button, except perhaps that you couldn't wake the device if it was one of those capacitive buttons.
    I was also concerned about that button giving out, which is why I use Button Savior Non Root: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....swkey.nonroot to skip having to constantly use that button.
    I did notice that after a couple of weeks the button suddenly felt "pressed in" further than when I first got it. I was pretty sure that it stuck up obviously from the bezel, and now it's pretty much flush with the bezel. That doesn't prevent it from working, and I don't use it that much anyway (I normally use the Power button to wake the device, and that app in almost all other cases).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4
    07-25-2013 03:25 AM
    I don't recall reading any posts about the home button failure on these forums. I think I've maybe seen one or two about problems with the power button. Button technology is really pretty straightforward and reliable. Think of the number of times the "E" key on your computer keyboard gets pressed over the lifetime of a keyboard. Or the channel and volume buttons on a TV remote. The home button on your phone won't get pressed but a tiny fraction of that number.
    07-25-2013 05:33 PM
    The home button on the gs3 has a very nice feel it's a durable button and I like it. The power button and volume rockers get creaky but for the most part work perfectly fine for a very long time. A case that covers them helps give them a nice smooth clicky feel as well.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 using the Android Central Forums app
    07-25-2013 09:00 PM
    The home button on the SGS3 is fine... and I actually like having something physical to push to bring you "home". :-)
    07-26-2013 02:50 AM