Samsung Galaxy S3 frozen on start screen... HELP PLEASE!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung galaxy S3 frozen on start screen... HELP PLEASE!

If you look at http://www.techcrot.com/download-samsung-galaxy-s3-gt-i9300-firmwares-android-4-1-1-android-4-1-2/ and scroll down until you find "United Kingdom O2" you'll find a download link for your firmware (which takes you to http://www.hotfile.com/dl/191527799/0352497/I9300XXELLA_I9300O2UELL2_O2U.zip.html)
If you flash that in Odin it should at a minimum restore your phone to working order; hopefully it will leave your data intact (no promises there though).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

To put your phone in Download mode first power it off completely.
Then press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the splash screen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

kkarthick

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

I recently replaced a shattered screen on my Samsung s3 and the screen is not responding ever since. I tried the hard reboot, performed a cache reset through safe mode but to no avail. The buttons are working fine and the mobile boots fine. Is there a screen sensor in s3's that could have possibly relocated when the screen was replaced?any help or direction is appreciated.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I recently replaced a shattered screen
You replaced the whole screen assembly (digitizer + LCD; a couple hundred dollars) or just the glass?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

When you say it's not responding, do you mean you can see everything fine, but tapping or touching the screen doesn't work? If so, the issue is with the digitizer, which is glued to the glass/lcd assembly. Did you replace the entire assembly (the cost of the part is about $180), or just the display unit (cheaper)?

There is a proximity sensor (one of the little holes at the top of the front face of the phone, but if it weren't working properly the screen would be off. You might also double check to make sure all the connections that you had to remove were reconnected correctly.

SuaX

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Hi there, I'm having the exact problem in fact I kind of resolved twice by entering at recovery mode, clearing the cache and then rebooting the phone but I don't understand, why it happens? why it keeps happening? and how can I fix it? Thanks

Update: I gave up and left the phone in turned on making that loop for about three hours until the battery drains, after this I charged turned it on, since then is working again magically

Last edited:

Scott Snyder1

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Nice forum. My Galaxy S3 froze up this morning after a telephone call. Screen was unresponsive to any touch. I used a dot swipe security code to enter the phone and when I tried to unlock...NO THING happened. Went to Verizon store and they did the typical thing I do....take the battery out...nothing. Then hold power and up button on volume key...still nothing. So they just ordered me a new phone. In desperation, I came home and thought of one more thing.....take the SD 16Gb card out. It worked!!!!
Hopes this helps some of you guys. I am a little nervous about putting the card back in. Any thoughts on why this causes freezing or if there are any solutions or preventative things I might try avoid future similar problems?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Scott,
You should check the SD card in your computer to see if any of the content is corrupted - that could cause weird behavior.

And based on the forums, there are some strange incompatibility issues that Samsung has with SD cards.

I can only recommend that you don't rely on the SD card as your safety net: either make frequent backups or use something like Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.amazon.clouddrive.photos to automatically save your pictures/videos to the cloud.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Stephen Hughes1

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Hi guys can you help i have the samsung galaxy s3 on tesco network . My phone turned itself off yesterday after the battery went flat so i plugged it into the charger and the battery showed it had charged to 70% so i tried to switch the phone on and it just froze on the samsung galaxy welcome screen . I tried to plug the charger back in and its showing a depleted battery that wont charge I have tried the reboot thing that wont work even the blue light for power is not flashing . Could the problem be that the battery is dead and just needs replacing any help would be appreciated.:cool:

unibrow69

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

Hi how do you carry out a factory data reset? Do I need to send it away?
Thanks

Lee

unibrow69

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

Factory data reset that should take care of it. You will lose all your data and pictures saved on the phone but that's the only way.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

Hi, how do I carry out a factory data reset?
Thanks
Lee

unibrow69

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

First question: Have you rooted the phone, or tried to root it? Don't worry, no one from your carrier or Samsung is watching, so don't feel you need to hide anything. If you did attempt to root, and that's when this happened, please post a link to the process you followed. Also, what version of the S3 do you have (e.g., International, Verizon, etc.....)

Before doing a factory reset, let's try a couple of other things. Have you tried a battery pull? Leave the battery out for several minutes, then put it back in a try to boot. This probably won't solve the problem, but it's easy to try and non-destructive, and you could get lucky.

If that doesn't work, let's try clearing cache. Can you boot into recovery? Turn the phone completely off; pull the battery if necessary, then put it back in. Don't turn the phone on. Press, at the same time, and hold down the Volume UP, Home and Power buttons. Hold them until you see the Samsung logo, then release all three buttons (Don't release them when the phone buzzes--that used to trick me every time). If you release the buttons too early or too late, it won't boot into recovery, and will probably freeze up again. If this happens, just turn the phone off and try again.

If you can get into Recovery, you'll see a menu with several options. Use the volume buttons to select the one to clear cache, then press the power button. When it's done, select the option to reboot the phone, and hope for the best. Let us know what happens.

Hi, I have the same problem and I can't get into reboot mode but can get the download mode displayed. Trouble is it doesn't do anything else - just says "downloading...do not turn off target." It looks like a menu in top left corner but won't let me type or scroll . Please help if poss, like maddiii1991 i have precious pics and important info I desperately need to keep. I have 'Orange Plan' insurance but they will just replace the phone and I guess I will lose every thing that isn't on my sd and sim card?
Thanks
Lee

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Lee,
Download mode is not intended to allow you to do anything on the phone - the only way to get out of Download mode is to pull the battery (or actually complete a firmware download).

If the phone will not boot into Recovery mode then your only choice is to try reloading the firmware. You can use the Kies software on your PC to do this.

Kimberly Bockmann

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Hi Guys,

Just found this forum through Google and so glad I did! I hope you guys can help so I don't have to go spend a ton of time at the T-Mobile store tomorrow before work :-/. This evening, I started googling ways to speed up my Samsung Galaxy S3, found a link on this forum (or another, can't really remember) that suggested clearing the cache and/or doing a factory reset as a last resort. So, I backed everything up, pushed down the necessary buttons and clicked "clear cache." Easy right? Not so much.

My phone will not turn on now. Well, it will but every single time it does it does the whole turn on thingy and then freezes on the black screen that says "Samsung" with the blue light shining. I cannot get it past that point and am dumbfounded as to how to fix it. Worse part is, my phone is a vital part to my job so I really need it to work :) I've done what you guys suggested above (hold power, volume up, and home key) and am unable to even get to the screen where it allows me to reboot, clear cache, etc.

Help? Any and all advice is so appreciated! Thank you so much!

Susan Forsythe

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

I'm having similar problems. Last night my battery was drained. I plugged it in to charge overnight. This morning the green battery on screen was full and at 100%. When I tried to switch on I got the Samsung S3 screen, then the Samsung logo with blue light around it. The blue LED is pulsing light blue / darker blue. When I tried my husband's battery I have the same problem. I followed your instructions to clear cache and did the system reboot but still stuck at start up. Like everyone else, trying to hold off on the factory reset if I can as I have so many pics / vids etc I don't want to lose. Any help much appreciated. Thanks!!
PS. Samsung S3 UK on O2 network if that helps!

Lee Taylor1

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

Ive managed to redownload firmware using odion3 but its still getting stuck on samsung boot screen. Ive also managed to factory reset and didnt work either

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Lee,
The problem with using Odin is that unless you're loading the correct firmware for your model/carrier you're still going to end up with problems.
What model/carrier do you have?
Which firmware did you use (please include a link to the file)?

A better alternative may be to use the Kies software on your PC to reload the stock firmware. Here's an overview of what to do:
- if you don't already have the Kies software installed on your PC, download it (just search Google) and install it. The first time it runs it'll update itself to the latest version so make sure you run it once before proceeding.
- put your phone in Download mode: with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen
- connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable that came with the phone
-- if you've never had the phone connected to your Windows-based computer before, you'll see messages about installing drivers, etc - just wait until this is done (may take 5 or 10 minutes) [I don't know what happens if you have a Mac - it probably just works]
- in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
- the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)

Jamie Rez

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

hi meyer i have same problem here my phone is Galaxy note 1 GT-n7000.. yes i have rooted my phone.. i use SuperUser.. though im not sure if its android 4.2.2 or 4.1.3 since its been months already after i rooted it. its perfectly working but few days ago my phone become very slow so i download clean master which clean my caches. etc. last night i dried out my battery while the clean mster asking me if i want to allow super user etc. i dont exactly remember what its asking. then this morning i cannot open my phone the screen freeze in Galaxy note gt-n7000 screen. i can access my recovery mode ( which is on the top it says Philz Touch 4) i already clear all cache,data,system, and preload but that doesnt fix anything. i can also access download mode but after asking me if i want to continue it freezes again in downloading screen... i dont know what to do... please help me. :(

- - - Updated - - -

hi i have same problem here my phone is Galaxy note 1 GT-n7000.. yes i have rooted my phone.. i use SuperUser.. though im not sure if its android 4.2.2 or 4.1.3 since its been months already after i rooted it. its perfectly working but few days ago my phone become very slow so i download clean master which clean my caches. etc. last night i dried out my battery while the clean mster asking me if i want to allow super user etc. i dont exactly remember what its asking. then this morning i cannot open my phone the screen freeze in Galaxy note gt-n7000 screen. i can access my recovery mode ( which is on the top it says Philz Touch 4) i already clear all cache,data,system, and preload but that doesnt fix anything. i can also access download mode but after asking me if i want to continue it freezes again in downloading screen... i dont know what to do... please help me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084