Contact info from GS3 with dead screen?

azuran73

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, may sound like a dumb question buy I'd like to get my contact info off my phone before it goes to Samsung for repair. I dropped the phone and the screen gradually turned totally black. I did manage to get my pics and vids off before going to bed but forgot the contacts. By the time I got up, the screen was toast. The phone itself seems to be working under the screen but of course I can't see a darn thing. Wondering if there is a way of getting the contact info while hooked to my PC.

Thanks

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Did you set up your contacts to sync with Google? If so, they've been backed up automagically. If you're not sure, log in to your Gmail account (the same account you used to set up your phone) on a computer browser. In the top left, click where it says "GMail", then choose "Contacts." See if all of your phone's contacts are stored there. If so, they're be restored to your phone when you get it back from Google.

If your goal is to delete the contacts, to make sure no one at Samsung can see them when they repair your phone, that's probably doable by doing a factory reset, if you have the stock ROM and recovery. This video: How to enter Android recovery & Factory reset the Galaxy S3 - YouTube will show you how to do it. I know you can't see anything on the screen, but this uses the physical buttons to enter recovery mode and reset, and those should still work. You'll just have to count button presses instead of watching on the screen.

If you want to copy off the contacts, and they're NOT synced with Google, I'm not sure I have an answer. If you take the phone to a carrier store, they might be able to do it with the tools they use to copy use data to a new phone.

azuran73

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Didn't sync with Google. I am trying to save my contacts so I can re import them once I get my phone back. Hopefully they can do it in-store. If I get a MHL to HDMI adapter could I do it via TV by bypassing the dead GS3 screen?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If the phone is actually working you can use the Kies software on your PC and just connect the phone - it'll read all of that stuff, along with giving you access to SMS/MMS, pictures/videos, call logs, etc.
Edit: oh, and the MHL <-> HDMI idea should work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

milkybarboyd

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I have had to send a Galaxy S3 off to the be repaired but I was only able to connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer and I copied all the directories off the phone onto my computer. I have been able to find the photo files etc, but have not been able to find anything about the contacts file. Does any know where this file is stored on the Samsung Galaxy S3, as I was unable to back it up other than copying all the files in the various directories off. Thanks

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci