10-06-2015 05:24 PM
33 12
tools
    Thanks Zana- tried your suggestion and my phone appears to be charging- up to 21$ in 15 minutes when it didn't go past 14% after 2 hours
    03-10-2014 06:53 PM
    Just adding a quick post here since this is the first thread that Google returned regarding S3's not charging.

First, glad that people got their S3 charging.

Next, what worked for me. I heard people mentioning using contact cleaner to clean the USB port. Since my S3's charging was intermittent (and always worked with the USB cable on my work PC), I thought this might be the issue. Also, I had been wanting to pick up some contact cleaner for some audio equipment and my electric guitar.

Everyone seemed to recommend Deoxit D5 it seemed. Expensive, but rave reviews. Also hard to find in Canada (I shopped at Long & McQuade when my dentist appt put me near one of their stores).

IT WORKED! Phone charges without a problem now on any charger/cable.

After telling my wife this, she told me that her Dell Venue 7 tablet was getting cranky about charging. BAM fixed that too.

I just sprayed a quit shot in the USB ports, then put a cable in/out about 20 times. All was well after!

I also used it on a turntable and dynamic range controller tonight with equally great results.

So if you have intermittent charging (and wiggling the cable around gets it to charge), I'd recommend buying some D5, or see if an electronics repair place might give you a free shot of it. Way cheaper than new phone or expensive USB port repair!
    GSDer likes this.
    07-29-2014 09:24 PM
    Hi!

I have the exact same issue! It's incredibly frustrating and now it's gotten so bad that the phone won't turn on even if it's plugged in. I've only had the phone for a year and I'm using the original charger
    07-30-2014 03:59 PM
    Hello and welcome to the forums!
    now it's gotten so bad that the phone won't turn on even if it's plugged in.
    Have you tried a different charger/cable?

One year is pretty quick for the battery to be going bad, but you could give it the spin test to see if it's bulging.

If you turn the phone completely off does it charge normally? It should only take about two hours to fully charge.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    07-30-2014 06:15 PM
    Zana Rouse,

THANK YOU!! easy steps to follow and it worked. don't know how or why, just thankful it worked!
    Thanks again for posting!!

Reinhart
    08-22-2014 02:52 PM
    My Samsung Galaxy S3 phone fell in a small bowl of soup! I did all I can to dry off, the good thing when I opened the back of the phone the soup only wet the bottom of the phone by the charging port. I get rid of the soup by pushing napkin and a pin in that charging port where you plug in the charger. Well big mistake, after that the phone won't charge not even if I had paid it to. I Google phone wont won't charge and found your answer to use a pen and lift the little metal flap up where you plug in the charge with the phone facing up.

I use a pen point but that did not work the pen point was to large, I then use one of my wife hair pin and to my surprise that did it. As soon as I plug in the charger whooooooo the phone began to charge.

Big Hint, Never, Never, Never stick anything in that charging port or mess with it!

Thanks for all the help
    09-14-2014 10:26 AM
    I have had the exact problem with two phones. Except mine goes down when its suppose to go up with percentage. Its driving me crazy cause thats where i spend most of my time.
    05-17-2015 10:50 PM
    Mine will charge on my home charger but not in any car no matter whicb cable i use now what the same cable that works in the house want work in any of my 3 cars any subjestions and yes i have 4 extra batterys
    10-06-2015 05:24 PM
33 12