Hi all,

I've had my GT-I9300 for nearly a year and have been loving until this last week when it has started randomly freezing then re-booting itself when it's ready. I've been reading forums here n there throughout the week and think that it sounds a little like the samsung sudden death syndrome... for which I am sadly beginning to feel there is no cure..??

I've just uninstalled a bunch of apps (including the most recently downloaded), I've gone into Recovery mode and cleared the cache... but when I view the activity log in Juice Defender these reports are in amongst the listed log:

ERROR /data/system/packages.xml: open failed:EACCES (Permission denied)
    ERROR java.io.FileNotFoundException: /data/system/packages.xml: open failed: EACCES (Permission denied)
    Regular AOSP installation not possible on Android 2.3+
    AOSP helper not found or outdated
    ROM is not compatible with AOSP helper (band switch control is unavailable) - get CyanogenMod
    {All have the same timestamp}

My device is not rooted.
    Build number ends in XXEMA2
    Android version is 4.1.2
    Baseband version ends in XXELLA
    Carrier: Optus in Australia

Any ideas how I can stop my phone from doing this?? It freezes almost at least once an hour, and time to reboot varies from 2mins-5mins, or I just pull the battery out and restart it myself.

This is my first go at having an Android phone, and I've been so stoked on it until this started occurring. Realllllllly don't want to go back to iPhone. Please help.
    08-04-2013 12:48 AM
    Hi all,

I've had my GT-I9300 for nearly a year and have been loving until this last week when it has started randomly freezing then re-booting itself when it's ready. I've been reading forums here n there throughout the week and think that it sounds a little like the samsung sudden death syndrome... for which I am sadly beginning to feel there is no cure..??

I've just uninstalled a bunch of apps (including the most recently downloaded), I've gone into Recovery mode and cleared the cache... but when I view the activity log in Juice Defender these reports are in amongst the listed log:

ERROR /data/system/packages.xml: open failed:EACCES (Permission denied)
    ERROR java.io.FileNotFoundException: /data/system/packages.xml: open failed: EACCES (Permission denied)
    Regular AOSP installation not possible on Android 2.3+
    AOSP helper not found or outdated
    ROM is not compatible with AOSP helper (band switch control is unavailable) - get CyanogenMod
    {All have the same timestamp}

My device is not rooted.
    Build number ends in XXEMA2
    Android version is 4.1.2
    Baseband version ends in XXELLA
    Carrier: Optus in Australia

Any ideas how I can stop my phone from doing this?? It freezes almost at least once an hour, and time to reboot varies from 2mins-5mins, or I just pull the battery out and restart it myself.

This is my first go at having an Android phone, and I've been so stoked on it until this started occurring. Realllllllly don't want to go back to iPhone. Please help.
    Welcome to the forums!
    SOrry to hear about your device. The only thing I can think of is to try flashing the stock ROM, and see if that clears up any of your problems.
    08-04-2013 01:06 AM
    Welcome to the forums!
    SOrry to hear about your device. The only thing I can think of is to try flashing the stock ROM, and see if that clears up any of your problems.
    Thanks for such a speedy reply!!
    Can I be an absolute novice and ask what that means / how do I do it??
    08-04-2013 01:20 AM
    I think flashing the ROM is a little too advanced a procedure for someone new to Android. It may just need a factory reset. Just make sure you back up all your data before you do it though. There are plenty of posts here that can help.
    androidnewie likes this.
    08-04-2013 08:42 AM
    I think flashing the ROM is a little too advanced a procedure for someone new to Android. It may just need a factory reset. Just make sure you back up all your data before you do it though. There are plenty of posts here that can help.
    I don't think a simple reset will clear the errors that the OS is encountering. But it is worth a shot.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    08-04-2013 09:59 AM
    Thanks for such a speedy reply!!
    Can I be an absolute novice and ask what that means / how do I do it??
    Let's try a Factory reset first. Under Settings-Back up and Reset, click the reset at the very bottom. This will bring the phone back to a state similar to just taking it out of the box. Everything will have to be set up again. Your Google account, etc...

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    androidnewie likes this.
    08-04-2013 10:01 AM
    Try uninstalling juice defender, I've had the same problem and uninstalling the app helped me

Posted via Android Central App
    androidnewie likes this.
    08-06-2013 02:47 AM
    Try uninstalling juice defender, I've had the same problem and uninstalling the app helped me

Posted via Android Central App
    I did notice an improvement after uninstalling juice defender actually... it's only crashed about once a day since, though today is back to it's old tricks. I've uninstalled facebook too because there were some comments on there about the recent upgrade causing crashes.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments and advice. I'll try the factory reset.. =(
    08-07-2013 07:56 AM
    Note that you can use the Kies software on your PC to backup your information (contacts, SMS/MMS, pictures/videos, call logs, etc) prior to performing the Factory Reset. You should also manually sync your Google account.

If you decide you want to reload the stock firmware, you can also use the Kies software for that too. It'll ensure that you get the correct firmware for your model/carrier. If you need any help doing that just pipe up once you make that decision.

Regarding the "sudden death syndrome" - I don't have an International version phone, but I was under the impression that Samsung patched the kernel to prevent that from happening. Sounds like you're using the latest build so you shouldn't be affected.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    androidnewie likes this.
    08-07-2013 12:10 PM
    Note that you can use the Kies software on your PC to backup your information (contacts, SMS/MMS, pictures/videos, call logs, etc) prior to performing the Factory Reset. You should also manually sync your Google account.

If you decide you want to reload the stock firmware, you can also use the Kies software for that too. It'll ensure that you get the correct firmware for your model/carrier. If you need any help doing that just pipe up once you make that decision.

Regarding the "sudden death syndrome" - I don't have an International version phone, but I was under the impression that Samsung patched the kernel to prevent that from happening. Sounds like you're using the latest build so you shouldn't be affected.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Wishing I'd been slightly less rash with the factory reset and seen your advice first - I did lose my messages and a couple of recently added phone numbers... But! Since the reset I haven't had it crash once, so, so far so good. I'm downloading apps slowly though, and haven't put facebook back on yet... But I'm just glad to have a functional phone that is receiving calls and emails.

Any tips as to whether it's likely it was app-related, and whether there's anything I might be able to do to prevent it happening in future?

And thank you to everyone for the advice, and ultimately returning my functional phone to me - very much appreciated ;-)
    08-09-2013 09:19 AM
    Because there are so many variables, it is difficult to say which app actually have caused the problem. The best thing is what you are doing right now; installing one app at a time and testing it for few hours and then installing the next app and so on.

You may also contact your service provider just for at least get your phone checked (I am not talking about warranty, but rather "friendly advice" kind of thing) . I remembered when I had a BlackBerry, out of warranty Telus customer service replaced my battery (which is no way under warranty what so ever).

All the best to you and your phone
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    08-09-2013 10:26 AM