Galaxy S3: Change outgoing email font?

SpTr

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Sadly, this workaround does not work for me now. I do not know why it worked once and not afterwards--I assume I was mistaken when I thought it worked. :/

Use the SEND FEEDBACK OPTION IN THE MAIL APP to complain about this issue!
On my default mail app I go into settings and then press the menu button in the corner.
My message to Google: "Outgoing e-mail is sent with the ascii character set instead of utf. This makes email sent from my phone display in a different font in Outlook. PLEASE let us control the outgoing font!"
The only way we'll see a fix is if we send enough negative feedback.

In the meantime I'm going to start testing other mail apps and see if they can control the font/if I like them.

--SpTr
on Nexus 5

Pelle Wijk

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
With Touchdown, it is possible to change the outgoing font but not with stock mail app which is an annoyance (I switched to stock mail when I switched from SGS3 to Nexus 5)

JRy1

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
The problem isn't the S5, its your Outlook. Incredibly, Outlook uses Microsoft Word to interpret HTML email. By default, it's set to override most HTML email formatting to Times.

To fix on your own machine with Outlook 2007 and newer (i.e. when sending yourself an email from your S5 to your PC), try this (which is copied from a link I would share, but Android central doesn't' allow new members to post links):

"...You cannot easily control the font used to read HTML messages, since most people who send HTML mail specify the font they want their messages to appear in. If you’re bothered by that, you can follow these steps to set a default font and make an HTML message use that font.

To set the default HTML font in Outlook 2007 and newer:

When a default font is not included in an HTML message, Outlook uses the default web font. You can change this in Word. Go to Options > Advanced > General > Web Options button > Fonts and select a different font. "

nauticasmexico

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is; only phones that can actually do it so far are Blackberry (OS 10+), iPhone iOS 7+ (with html tricks) or iOS 8 natively and Windows Phone (all versions). The only third party email apps on Android that can do it so far are AquaMail, (both the free version and the paid one) and BlueMail. Actually, the native email app for Android on some brands (like HTC One M8) and on some versions of CM11 do send outgoing email font that appears just fine in Outlook, both Mac and PC versions.
Just tried with the new Gmail 5 version and still the font comes as Times New Roman.

I'll keep trying and report back.

foiltape

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Changing the web settings in Word did it! Now if only I could change the corporate policy for all of our machines to behave the same way. I don't need it to be so obvious that I'm not at my desk! :)

Being able to choose a font in Gmail Exchange/AOSP E-mail would be the ideal solution though.

Gmail w/Exchange (v. 5.0)
GS4

E-AS

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, is it so that JRy1's instructions work only for the computer where the e-mail is being read? If that is the case, then it is of little help. It basically only disguises the problem in my own computer but all the recipients of the e-mail reading it with their Outlook see the e-mail in Times.

Considering that Outlook is probably the most used e-mail software in any corporate setting, Samsung should enable at least the basic fonts that Outlook can interpret and give the users the possibility to choose between them. This should not be an impossible feat.

michaelpm

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Galaxy S5: I go to settings-display-font and change font to Samsung Sans which changes on the phone but not on outgoing gmail. Is this even possible?

lenorabc

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes, Hi, I was looking for a solution for the same problem, it was driving me crazy. Its incredible how unprofessional times new roman can make you look. What you have to do is to go on outlook on your computer than: file > options > mail > stantionery and fonts. Than you can configure all options to the same font and collor. If nothing is selected there, which is the standard, the mail will come out with standard font, which is terrible times new roman. Hope that helps.

xJaze

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Its incredible how unprofessional times new roman can make you look.

This is not a solution to the original issue. Others will still see Times New Roman. It should be some type of package file that installs as a system font in the phone. This way it applies to all apps.