Help! Screen blacks out when I cover front camera

imoverthere

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

This only just started happening today. Every time I accidentally cover the front camera the screen blacks out and when I uncover it it comes back on to whatever I was doing before. I have turned off the Smart Stay feature and it still does it!!!

It is frustrating beyond belief...can anyone help? :(

hewey_mx5

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like the sensor that turns the screen off when you're on the phone is still on. Reboot your phone and see if that helps

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying that it does this while you're on a phone call (expected) or all the time?
Have you loaded/updated any apps recently?
Are you sure it's the front camera and not the proximity sensor causing this behavior?
Does the front camera actually work?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

FDanis

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem not only with phone dialer but with any program or home screen or lock screen. I think its the camera, can't say for sure though. The camera does work. I also turned off Smart stay, etc
FD - galaxy note 3

FDanis

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Actually, it's the proximity sensor. Still, don't know how to disable, my screen turns off every time my hand goes to the top of the device

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
In the Phone app, press the Menu button, select Call settings, then uncheck 'Auto screen off during calls'

Edit: just read through your first post - I've never heard of the proximity sensor affecting anything but the Phone app. Sorry.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Username Unknown

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
No one has posted this and I don't know why but phones will not function when sensor is covered, I don't think this is a defect or anything I think it's simply so you won't be able to cover up your camera intern allowing for you to be constantly surveyed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

youngcalihottie

Jun 10, 2016
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but this was driving me freaking insane on my s7 edge! I couldn't find the answer anywhere, so I had to go through the entire settings menu, one item at a time.

If your screen is turning off shortly after you unlock it just because you accidentally cover the proximity sensor, then make sure:

"Keep Screened Turned Off" is off.

If it's on, then the screen turns off to prevent accidental clicks/wasted battery from your phone turning on in your pocket or purse. The problem is that it can't tell the difference between your pocket or your damn hand! Lol. So it'll turn the screen off and even lock it if the setting is turned on and your hand covers the proximity sensor too soon after you turn the screen on.

chris marku

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Its not the front camera that turns off, its the SRGB sensors that turn off when you cover them.

It happened to me. If you were on a recent phone call, the SRGB sensors (on a galaxy S5 which I have in my case and are located 1/4 in. away from the camera) tend to glitch and you can solve this problem by rebooting the phone, then it should stop. If this problem persists, you should contact your local samsung store immediately.

Fazle Umar Shahid

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Hello!

This only just started happening today. Every time I accidentally cover the front camera the screen blacks out and when I uncover it it comes back on to whatever I was doing before. I have turned off the Smart Stay feature and it still does it!!!

It is frustrating beyond belief...can anyone help? :(

Answer: Simply close call application after ending a call. I think it will resolve your problem.

Bharat Mohan

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
It should be some kind of software issue when you have updated any of the applications...i had the same problem.RESTARTed and its gone.Its the proximity sensor which turns it black

DixNeinSixNine

Dec 16, 2017
Visit site
I figured it out!

Me too exactly! I just now solved it for myself! Like others said, that's supposed to be more of a thing that happens when your on a phone call but in this case it's happening always! I opened all my windows, noticed my phone app was open, and I closed it. Now my phones acting normal again, no more blacking out when I get close to the camera! I know its awful and is frustrating so I hope this works for you too. Good luck buddy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae