I got a replacement phone (Warranty) and of course it doesn't come with a battery. I need to be able to run both phones at the same time so I can transfer settings etc. Is there any way to force the phone to run on just the charger? Any other ideas?
    08-23-2013 12:24 PM
    You can't run the phone without a battery in the slot, but you don't need both phones turned on to transfer stuff... Back everything up in your PC (Kies or the software of your choice) and then sync with the new device.

Or you could back everything up in the Cloud (Dropbox or Google Drive) and that's it. Your settings and contacts, unless you turned it off, are always kept safe in the Cloud with your Google Account and even in your Samsung Account if you set one up when you bought the phone.
    08-23-2013 12:28 PM
    I will try the Kies sync. I have a work email account and some other things that I don't have the setup instructions for anymore so I really don't want to try and figure out how to set them up again because IT doesn't really support work email on personal phones.
    08-23-2013 01:24 PM
    Well, it seems like Kies sucks. It won't recognize my phone. You mentioned something about backing up to google drive? Is there a setting I can change to allow it to do that?
    08-23-2013 01:51 PM
    Well, it seems like Kies sucks. It won't recognize my phone.
    It may be true that it's not the greatest piece of software out there; if it's not recognizing your phone then the correct drivers probably haven't been installed by your (Windows 7?) OS.

I'll have to disagree with the statement about not being able to use the phone without a battery - all you have to do is connect it to a PC via USB (with the battery installed) and once you boot it up you can pull the battery and put it in the other phone. YMMV.

Edit: you can also try:
    Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id...uddrive.photos (for backing up your pictures/videos; 5GB free)
    AND
    Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id...ikdutta.backup
    OR
    MyBackup Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id...id.MyBackupPro (there's a trial version)
    as alternate solutions to Kies.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    08-23-2013 03:44 PM
    Are you sure about that? I've tried that with my S4 and remember my Note 2 and both shut off immediately after pulling out the battery...
    08-23-2013 04:23 PM