E: failed to mount /efs (invalid argument)

kyled1992

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
hi having problems with my samsung galaxy s3 the device charges fine but when i turn it on it freezes at the samsung logo whilst its flashing blue so after reading posts found out i could get into manual mode by pressing volume up home and power and it comes up with E: failed to mount /efs (invalid argument) so ive wiped the data/factory reset the device and still doesnt work can someone please help me fix it please cheers

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The OS on the phone has gotten corrupted. You can use the Kies software on your PC to reload the stock firmware or you can use Odin (I'd recommend the former).
If you don't already have Kies installed just do a Google search for it. Install it and then run it once (it'll automatically update itself). Then put your phone in Download mode (with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously and release them all when you see the splash screen) and connect it to your PC. The OS will install the necessary drivers (this may take a few minutes) and then you can select Tools -> Emergency firmware recovery in the Kies software. It'll prompt you for the model number (enter it in CAPS) and IMEI (both found under the battery) and then it'll download the correct firmware and then install it (the installation takes about 10 minutes; the download depends on your Internet connection).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Christopher,
Try the second item in the Tools menu (Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation) - that should allow you to proceed even though it says "Please connect a device" on the left.

Note that I haven't had this "efs" issue, and the OP apparently didn't have any success. I'm not sure if he resorted to Odin or what.

Edit: you can take a look here http://rescueroot.com/android/how-to-reinstall-stock-firmware-without-flashing-by-using-kies/ - there's some step-by-step instructions and links to other information about the efs.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

Gary168

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
GSder, Thanks for your post, helps me on my galaxy note 2, (it has the same problem). I have search hours on the net for answers & helps. Non of other posts comes close. You're on the point, you are the best, thanks!:)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Gary168,
I only know enough to be dangerous :-[

For example, I don't know if Kies rewrites the /efs structure when it reloads the firmware (seems like it should if it prompts for the IMEI).

The folks over on XDA would be able to give you better guidance if you can find a similar thread.

Keep us posted on what happens.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

a marie

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello..

I have a question. With this you say Volume down, power, and menu. I have kies installed already. Is it volume down, when I do so it says

Warning!!

A custoom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications.

If you want to dowonload a custom OS, press the volume up key.
Otherwise, press the volume down key to cancel.

Volume up: Continue
Volume Down: cancel (restart phone)

with an image of a yellow triangle with exclamation point.

Now, All I tried to do was reset my phone because it was laggy and force closing a lot. I had checked to just to a backup. And then I got this message. I am running out of options and would appreciate a quick reply.

Thank you very kindly

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Marie,
If you're not having the problem specified in the title of this thread you shouldn't be messing around with random instructions.

In order to get out of the mode that you're in (Download mode) you'll need to pull the battery.

If you're still having a problem when you boot the phone, try posting in a thread that describes your problem or just create a new one. Be sure to list your model number and carrier, along with the firmware version.

Pedro Fideles

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a question when i plug in my phone with kies it's loading and loading with a phone above and under wroten Connecting what should i do? btw sorry for mij bad english

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Pedro,
Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't appear that you're having the same problem as what is listed in the title of this thread. In the future please post in a thread that describes your issue or just create a new thread if you are can't find one.

It usually takes Kies a minute or so to finally detect your phone. If it's just sitting there forever:
- disconnect/reconnect the phone
- try a different cable (make sure it has all 5 pins in the phone end)
- disconnect the phone, uninstall the Kies software, reconnect the phone and see if the OS recognizes the phone

What OS are you running on the PC?
When you connect the phone, does anything show up in the Status bar on the phone indicating that it's connected?
What firmware version is on the phone (ex. 4.1.2)?

Edit: welcome to the forums.

Lee Taylor1

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
The OS on the phone has gotten corrupted. You can use the Kies software on your PC to reload the stock firmware or you can use Odin (I'd recommend the former).
If you don't already have Kies installed just do a Google search for it. Install it and then run it once (it'll automatically update itself). Then put your phone in Download mode (with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously and release them all when you see the splash screen) and connect it to your PC. The OS will install the necessary drivers (this may take a few minutes) and then you can select Tools -> Emergency firmware recovery in the Kies software. It'll prompt you for the model number (enter it in CAPS) and IMEI (both found under the battery) and then it'll download the correct firmware and then install it (the installation takes about 10 minutes; the download depends on your Internet connection).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Hey ive got same problem. I ve put my phone into download mode. And it says its downloading DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET. but when I go to connect to Samsung kies its just coming up connecting then after a couple of minutes it says (device not responding, to resolve the issues, please reboot device.) What else can I do. Please help

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The key for me was selecting the second item in the Tools menu (Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation?) - it seemed to bypass that whole 'connecting' process and just went to work. Here's the writeup that I put together (I need to insert the Kies screenshots that I captured).

- if you don't already have the Kies software installed on your PC, download it (just search Google) and install it. The first time it runs it'll update itself to the latest version so make sure you run it once before proceeding.
- put your phone in Download mode: with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen
- connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable that came with the phone
-- if you've never had the phone connected to your Windows-based computer before, you'll see messages about installing drivers, etc - just wait until this is done (may take 5 or 10 minutes) [I don't know what happens if you have a Mac - it probably just works]
- in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
- the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)

acandlg

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
im having this happen too. getting the same problems as the OP and cant get my phone to connect to kies. also when I try the option through tools it appears to have downloaded but then kies just shuts down. has anyone actually managed to get their phone up and running yet?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Given this problem symptom it sounds like the on board memory is corrupted. I don't even think that JTAG services could recover this.

Time to get a replacement or send it in for repair.

a marie

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Marie,
If you're not having the problem specified in the title of this thread you shouldn't be messing around with random instructions.

In order to get out of the mode that you're in (Download mode) you'll need to pull the battery.

If you're still having a problem when you boot the phone, try posting in a thread that describes your problem or just create a new one. Be sure to list your model number and carrier, along with the firmware version.

I was getting this "E: failed to mount /efs (invalid argument)" when I tried resetting to factory settings, hence why I found this post.. Lol.. But I did revive my phone. I found stock firmware and I tried first putting it on to my SD card and loading that way. it didn't work. So then I used ODIN. that worked. But.. I am still confused as to why I got this "E: failed to mount /efs (invalid argument)" when I tried just reset my phone..? Now my count number is at 3, but I have 4.3 now.. so I don't know. It works but is still giving me Wi-Fi problems (the reason why I tried to start from scratch in the first place)

This wasn't my first rodeo with ODIN. I used previously on my non warranty Samsung vibrant..

Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB,White 4.3 T-Mobile

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Now my count number is at 3
My bad for misinterpreting why you were posting here, and glad (but surprised) that you were able to use Odin to correct the problem.

Your flash counter is at 3 indicating that you've flashed non-stock firmware. If your phone is currently rooted you can use [root] Triangle Away: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=eu.chainfire.triangleaway&token=qLZlSS5- to reset the flash counter.

Please start a new thread (or find an existing one that describes your problem) for the Wi-Fi issue that you have and hopefully someone will be able to help you.

P.S. I'd be interested to hear if you did anything special in Odin to clear that 'efs' message.

Paolodx72

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

GSDer Hello I am new to the forum
I followed the steps to restore the original software through Kies but when I connect the phone to the computer and put it in "download mode" Kies does not recognize it ...
How should I proceed? Thank you in advance

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Paolodx72,
These instructions are a bit more specific - give it a shot, and as long as Kies prompts you for the model number and IMEI/Serial number you can ignore any messages about not being connected.
Here's an overview of what to do:
- if you don't already have the Kies software installed on your PC, download it (just search Google) and install it. The first time it runs it'll update itself to the latest version so make sure you run it once before proceeding.
- put your phone in Download mode: with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen
- connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable that came with the phone
-- if you've never had the phone connected to your Windows-based computer before, you'll see messages about installing drivers, etc - just wait until this is done (may take 5 or 10 minutes) [I don't know what happens if you have a Mac - it probably just works]
- in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
- the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki