E: failed to mount /efs (invalid argument)

Paolodx72

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Paolodx72,
These instructions are a bit more specific - give it a shot, and as long as Kies prompts you for the model number and IMEI/Serial number you can ignore any messages about not being connected.
Here's an overview of what to do:
- if you don't already have the Kies software installed on your PC, download it (just search Google) and install it. The first time it runs it'll update itself to the latest version so make sure you run it once before proceeding.
- put your phone in Download mode: with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen
- connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable that came with the phone
-- if you've never had the phone connected to your Windows-based computer before, you'll see messages about installing drivers, etc - just wait until this is done (may take 5 or 10 minutes) [I don't know what happens if you have a Mac - it probably just works]
- in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
- the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

perfect, kies started working!
I have another problem: once the load reaches 100% tells me to turn on the phone and reconnect it completely but always stops at the logo "samsung" ...
What should I do?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
tells me to turn on the phone and reconnect it completely but always stops at the logo "samsung"
Once the load completes, doesn't the phone restart? (It's been awhile since I've done one.) The phone is already on - just ignore that reconnect message; don't disconnect/reconnect - just see what happens.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Paolodx72

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
After completing the installation I get the message that the installation is complete and the computer removes the phone (you can hear the noise removal) ..
On the phone screen appears the screen of Android Man and, after loading, phone begins to restart without exceeding the word "SAMSUNG" ...
Tell me that is not to bring assistance please ...!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, if reloading the firmware isn't causing the correct behavior it is indeed time to bring assistance.

You can try booting into Recovery mode (just like Download mode, but use Volume Up rather than Volume Down) to clear the system cache. But I don't have high hopes. Sorry.

a marie

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the late response..

I actually didn't do anything special.
As i said before i tried to load firmware to my sd card and boot it up that way and the first time that was somehow successful.
then when i tried resetting my phone again i had to use ODIN.

Could you explain to me why and what the EFS message is anyways? I don't know why I got it.

My bad for misinterpreting why you were posting here, and glad (but surprised) that you were able to use Odin to correct the problem.

Your flash counter is at 3 indicating that you've flashed non-stock firmware. If your phone is currently rooted you can use [root] Triangle Away: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=eu.chainfire.triangleaway&token=vumUBDUi to reset the flash counter.

Please start a new thread (or find an existing one that describes your problem) for the Wi-Fi issue that you have and hopefully someone will be able to help you.

P.S. I'd be interested to hear if you did anything special in Odin to clear that 'efs' message.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Marie,
I'm a little confused - in your original post you made it sound like loading the firmware from the SD card failed, so then you resorted to Odin; in this latest post you made it sound like loading the firmware from the SD card was successful but then when you did a Factory Reset you ended up having to use Odin. Just curious which case it was.

Also, when you were loading the firmware from the SD card, were you using the stock Recovery software or did you have CWM or TWRP installed?

EFS is a special folder in the Android operating system
a4ajate7.jpg
See here for various explanations about what it contains and how to make backups.

Last edited:

slick2500

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
The OS on the phone has gotten corrupted. You can use the Kies software on your PC to reload the stock firmware or you can use Odin (I'd recommend the former).
If you don't already have Kies installed just do a Google search for it. Install it and then run it once (it'll automatically update itself). Then put your phone in Download mode (with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously and release them all when you see the splash screen) and connect it to your PC. The OS will install the necessary drivers (this may take a few minutes) and then you can select Tools -> Emergency firmware recovery in the Kies software. It'll prompt you for the model number (enter it in CAPS) and IMEI (both found under the battery) and then it'll download the correct firmware and then install it (the installation takes about 10 minutes; the download depends on your Internet connection).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

I registered on here just to thank you, I spent upwards of 6 hours trying to unbrick my phone without any success and using the Kies software worked like a charm. Thank you.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank you.
You're most welcome. Note that you can also use the Kies software to backup your important data: contacts, SMS/MMS, pictures/videos, call logs and TouchWiz settings (most of them anyway).

You may also want to consider using something like:
Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.amazon.clouddrive.photos
Drive Photo Uploader: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.mynextandroid.drivephotosync
Dropsync: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.ttxapps.dropsync
to backup your pictures/videos to the cloud service of your choice.

Silentpause

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
So, I have few questions on this before I traipse into unknown lands.

I got the E:failed to mount /system error. I HAVE NOT done a factory reset. I am trying to find a solution to this without resetting my phone and losing all of my pictures (Yes, I know I should have backed them up...). Is it even possible to recover the data, or will this wipe it too? I have a replacement currently en route, and if I use Kies/ODIN, would that be considered "tampering" or "rooting" where it would void out my warranty?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is it even possible to recover the data, or will this wipe it too?
If you use Odin to reload the same firmware it's POSSIBLE to find the data intact - no guarantees.
if I use Kies/ODIN, would that be considered "tampering" or "rooting" where it would void out my warranty?
If you use Kies or Odin to reload the stock firmware there are no warranty issues.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Zerocine

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!Does what same thing?
What did you load using Odin?

You may want to take a look at [TOOL] Updated! 17/05/14 - EFS Professional v2.1.32 - Also for NON-Samsung devices! - xda-developers if you're having EFS issues.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Okay let me explain what I did:

I wanted to do a factory reset on my S3 so I go to the settings and do it. When it boots up it takes me to the Recovery Menu where the "E:/ Fail to Mount" error appears.so I click the option to delete everything and when the device boots up it stayed for atleast an hour on the Sansung boot up screen. I turn it off and try deleting the cache. Its still stuck on the boot screen. Snooping around I found this [HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter [Tmobile / Wind / Mobilicity / Videotron] - xda-developers so I decided to try and re-install the stock rom but alas it stayed on the boot screen. I let it charging from yesterday around 10pm and just came to it around 5:30am and it was still in the boot screen. Maybe I did something wrong, I dont know. Hope that helps explain a bit and thanks for the help!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
so I decided to try and re-install the stock rom but alas it stayed on the boot screen
Just to be clear, when you used Odin it completed successfully?

You said you tried the stock ROM but all of the firmware in that link has been pre-rooted; have you tried the real stock firmware from someplace like http://samsung-updates.com/device/ or http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/

If you use a stock image and Odin writes successfully you should reboot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache; once those things are done if it still doesn't boot normally then there's nothing else I can suggest other than using a JTAG service (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/)