How to compress video?

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I recorded a 9min video with my GSIII and it contains 1.04 GB of space. Now my aunt overseas want me to mail her how can I compress the video and mail her?
And if mailing isn't possible is there any other way?

Sent from my GSIII

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Compress by winrar or you can convert the video to smaller pixel, even you can cut the video into small ones.

So by winrar, will I be able to send it via email? If yes. when the recipient collects it via email will he get the same quality (HDL as it was before after "Explore/Expand "

Sent from my GSIII

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If your requirement is to be able to email video files then you should use the appropriate setting in the camera app - it'll limit the resolution and time of the videos so that they can be emailed.

If your preference is to be able to send someone a video that is not limited by resolution or length, then your best bet is to use a cloud storage solution; transfer the file to the cloud; then email the recipient a link to the file.

You can find lots of cloud storage services that provide several GB of online storage for free - here are just a few:

Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.apps.docs

Dropbox: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.dropbox.android&token=xUL9hdNO

Box: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.box.android&token=QdYQfFHG

SugarSync: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.sharpcast.sugarsync&token=P41z4wX5

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site
If your requirement is to be able to email video files then you should use the appropriate setting in the camera app - it'll limit the resolution and time of the videos so that they can be emailed.

If your preference is to be able to send someone a video that is not limited by resolution or length, then your best bet is to use a cloud storage solution; transfer the file to the cloud; then email the recipient a link to the file.

You can find lots of cloud storage services that provide several GB of online storage for free - here are just a few:

Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.apps.docs

Dropbox: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.dropbox.android&token=2APEJA4M

Box: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.box.android&token=D3Ot77u8

SugarSync: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.sharpcast.sugarsync&token=PUSB42dw

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

What if I want a video that can be compressed and sent it through email right from my PC. if you know any good such software.

Sent from my GSIII

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you want to use your PC to send the compressed video you can use any standard file compression utility (WinZip; WinRAR; etc). That's probably not going to get you the result you're looking for though - typical PC email apps are limited to 20MB (or so) for each email - there's no way that any file compression utility is going to take a 1GB video and shrink it down to 20MB. The compression utilities will usually allow you to break the compressed file up into multiple 20MB chunks, and you could email those separately and then the recipient would have to use the same utility to recombine them.

As I noted before, the easiest way to deal with this issue is to just post the file on whichever cloud solution you choose and then email (or even SMS) the link.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site
If you want to use your PC to send the compressed video you can use any standard file compression utility (WinZip; WinRAR; etc). That's probably not going to get you the result you're looking for though - typical PC email apps are limited to 20MB (or so) for each email - there's no way that any file compression utility is going to take a 1GB video and shrink it down to 20MB. The compression utilities will usually allow you to break the compressed file up into multiple 20MB chunks, and you could email those separately and then the recipient would have to use the same utility to recombine them.

As I noted before, the easiest way to deal with this issue is to just post the file on whichever cloud solution you choose and then email (or even SMS) the link.

Actually u have a lot of space on my Dropbox like 50gb. But the problem is my monthly plan is limited to 2mbps speed up to10gb usage and after that I will have to go through slowest speed of 500kbps per second. So that's why I am avoiding it.
Btw if I intend to send it via cloud service how can I publicly share it. I mean I know there's a way to do it somebody won't be able to invade in ur personal space but don't know how to make any publicly appear or share.

Sent from my GSIII

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't you have Wi-Fi access? Even though I have unlimited data currently, I try not to get used to using that - that way when I have to ditch my current carrier, or they decide to discontinue unlimited data, I won't miss it.

Depending on your PC situation, you can copy the file from the phone to the PC and then use Dropbox on the PC to upload the file.

It's really simple to use Dropbox to send a file - you just select the little arrow on the far right of the file; choose Share; then choose how you want to share it (email; SMS; etc) and it'll provide you a link. From what I understand, that link is just to that file. I don't know if there's a way to restrict the shared file to a specific user (in case the link is made public) - you'll have to look at their documentation or videos.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Don't you have Wi-Fi access? Even though I have unlimited data currently, I try not to get used to using that - that way when I have to ditch my current carrier, or they decide to discontinue unlimited data, I won't miss it.

Depending on your PC situation, you can copy the file from the phone to the PC and then use Dropbox on the PC to upload the file.

It's really simple to use Dropbox to send a file - you just select the little arrow on the far right of the file; choose Share; then choose how you want to share it (email; SMS; etc) and it'll provide you a link. From what I understand, that link is just to that file. I don't know if there's a way to restrict the shared file to a specific user (in case the link is made public) - you'll have to look at their documentation or videos.

Thanks, GsDer. The plan and usage I talked about was actually for my wifi not for my phone. :D
And since I have an iPad, 2 phones and PC also I have a lot of usage more than 10 GB. This is what my problem. So I'm looking for a substitute from where I don't lose my monthly data.
Sent from my GSIII

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, you need to install WinRAR http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm or whichever 3rd party software you want to use, but the right-click option to compress the file should work. Of course, I haven't tried compressing a 1GB file before, so perhaps an alternate solution is called for.

And just as a reminder, the person that you send the file to will need to have WinRAR (or a similar program) installed to decompress the file.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site
And how do we convert? I have installed the software in my system. But struggling to convert. please help.
Well, you need to install WinRAR WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files or whichever 3rd party software you want to use, but the right-click option to compress the file should work. Of course, I haven't tried compressing a 1GB file before, so perhaps an alternate solution is called for.

And just as a reminder, the person that you send the file to will need to have WinRAR (or a similar program) installed to decompress the file.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm so pissed off now. I failed to convert the video from Winrar and then when I tried to share file it shows error "file's too large" . File's limited to 300MB. What to do tehcies ?

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
The simple solution is to upload the video to youtube (over wifi so you don't incur bandwidth charges), make it private, and send your friend the link.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I installed but wasn't able to compress it.
Typically you just right-click on the file and one of the context menus should have WinRAR as an option - you just drag into that menu and choose the option to compress the file. I use WinZip myself but WinRAR should be similar.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
He's got a 9 minute, 1GB video :eek: - MMS won't touch that.
Besides, he wants to retain the original quality.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I compressed the video fro m 1.04 GB to 400mb and tried to share it through Google drive but I came to k ow it can only be sent to those who are gmail users. Is it correct?
To check how it works - I shared an image from my Gmail account to my Yahoo account via Google drive and when I clicked on the image it took me to the Google's page and asked to log on Gmail Id.
How to solve this?

Sent from my GSIII

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used Google Drive to share any content; heck, I haven't shared anything from Dropbox either (no friends :) - but I'm pretty sure that with Dropbox you just provide the link.

If you're going the cloud route wouldn't it be more straightforward to leave the uncompressed video up there? That way the other person can play it directly, without having to copy the file down and uncompress it.