HELP: S3 doesn't turn on, keeps flashing "Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300"

hacepo

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, since yesterday my Galaxy S3 can't turn on, just keeps flashing S3's logo. I have read a lot of threads here in this forum, but I could not conclude anything. The cellphone doesn't respond, if I press for long time power+home button, nothing happens. If I take the battery off and try to turn it on again, nothing happens. I am really desperated and I need help!!

The phone is not rooted, and is updated with the last Jelly Bean available (4.2.1).
I have filmed a short video, just to illustrate what is happening: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5adyps2mlf7xid/20130905_124432.mp4 (as you can see, its screen is really ugly. I have dropped it more then a year ago, so I guess this problem is not related to this drop).
I have not tried to hard reset it, because I still have hope to recover the all the info. Is it possible to recover this informations? Is it possible to recover the cellphone???

Thanks!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You didn't mention your screen was broken, How long ago did that happen?

Power + home isn't supposed to do anything. Try booting into recovery by making sure the phone is powered off (pull the battery, wait a few seconds, then put it back in). The press and hold power, home and volume UP. Hold all three buttons until the Samsung logo appears, then release all three buttons. If the recovery menu appears, use the volume buttons to select factory reset, then press power, and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, see if you can boot into download. Again, power off. Then press and hold power, home, and volume DOWN. When / If you see a warning screen press volume UP. If this says Downloading, and gives you a message about not disconnecting the phone, you can pull the battery to power down. Let us know what happens.

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have not tried to hard reset it, because I still have hope to recover the all the info. Is it possible to recover this informations? Is it possible to recover the cellphone???
Be aware that if you perform a Factory Reset as suggested above you'll lose anything that's not saved on the SDCard (if you have one) - of course, any information that you have synced with your Google account will be Ok. And unless the phone will boot normally there's really no way to backup the information.

If the phone will boot into Download mode then you should be able to reload the stock firmware, either using the Kies software on your PC or using Odin.

What model/carrier do you have?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

nishu goyal

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I have samsung Galaxy S3
There is an error occurred
Unfortunately Google Play Store has stopped this error appeared between 2 seconds on and on and my mobile goes very much slow. I switched enabled in downloads .even i have dpne factory reset by again and again this problem creates. this problem can't be sought out? even i use use play store through wifi (broadband).

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
nishu,
You do realize that your post has nothing to do with the thread that you've hijacked? And that there are several other threads already that deal with this issue?

It would be highly desirable if you deleted your previous post and reposted in an appropriate topic.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

SuzieD101

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi. Mine has started doing the exact same thing just today. Mine has not been dropped or damaged in any way and is not rooted. I had problems with it last week, freezing and rebooting and solved that with 'dummy file generator' but today this fault has now started. Seriously fed up with the problems with this phone lately, which I loved until a couple of weeks ago. If anyone has any fixes for this latest problem I'd be very grateful for them ?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Suzie:

Instead of saying "exactly the same thing" in a thread that has at least two different issues described, it would be helpful to describe exactly what's happening. I'm going to assume you have the same problem as described in the first post.

I'm not familiar with the "dummy file generator." What does that do, and what problem is it supposed to solve.

What version of the S3 do you have, and what, if anything, have already done to try to fix it? Have you tried booting into recovery or download, as described in post #2?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
There seems to be some thought that using Dummy file generator: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=jp.nomunomu.dummy&token=FTvI7Pzx prevents problems with sudden death or freezes/resets on the International SGS3. I'm not sure of the rationale behind it but what do I know.

I thought there were other ways to deal with sudden death, if indeed that's the new problem that Suzie is facing, but it seemed like those steps had to be taken before the problem was manifested.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

hacepo

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, since I created this thread, I broke my phone LCD, I passed for more than a month without cellphone, and I replaced its LCD. Than, for my horror, the problem is back.
When it blinks the "Samsung Galaxy SIII" logo, there is nothing I can do. If I pull out the battery, when I put it back on, the cell continues flashing nothing happens. Than, after too much trying, it turns on, and works until this happens again. That "turn off/restart" window appears and it happens, blinking the logo eternally.
I've filmed again what it is happening: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvq6bd93qjmdt6o/20131012_235047.mp4

It is an international unlocked version, model GT-i9300
Can anybody save my cell phone's life?? Thanks really much, in advance!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Can you boot into Download mode?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

hacepo

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I can. I can enter at Download mode menu.
Actually, sometimes it turns on and I can use it. Until it happens again, and keeps some hours flashing Samsung's logo. It's really strange.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you can boot into Download mode you may want to try reloading the firmware using the Kies software on your PC.

Alpacoev

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I have done the volume down/menu/start as advised since my phone just keeps flashing the "SAMSUNG" start up thing but wont go any further. It is now stuck showing the green Android guy, screen says "Dowloading..." and underneath says "Do not turn off target !!" How long does this last and what should I be expecting...any ideas?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It is now stuck showing the green Android guy, screen says "Dowloading..." and underneath says "Do not turn off target !!" How long does this last and what should I be expecting...any ideas?
That screen with the Android guy is the Download mode screen - it'll sit there forever (or until the battery dies) waiting for you to initiate a firmware download. If you want to exit Download mode you have to pull the battery (or successfully complete a firmware download and it'll reboot itself). (Edit: BTW, being able to get into Download mode is a good thing - it means your phone isn't totally borked.)

Here's an overview of what to do:
- if you don't already have the Kies software installed on your PC, download it (just search Google) and install it. The first time it runs it'll update itself to the latest version so make sure you run it once before proceeding.
- put your phone in Download mode: with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen
- connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable that came with the phone
-- if you've never had the phone connected to your Windows-based computer before, you'll see messages about installing drivers, etc - just wait until this is done (may take 5 or 10 minutes) [I don't know what happens if you have a Mac - it probably just works]
- in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
- the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)

Last edited:

Gema Sutan-Assin

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Okay this might sound out of topic but I did what you said by "connecting the phone to my PC with the USB cable that came with the phone" and kies won't connect to my device. I've tried it a couple of times too. Does this have anything to do with this problem or is it something else?:-\

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Assuming that you're following the steps above, and have selected THE SECOND item in the Tools menu, you should be able to ignore any message in the Kies window about the phone not being connected and just progress through the dialog that prompts for the model number and IMEI/Serial Number.

Dan Stowe

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
The Recovery option worked great! I had all my apps and info backed up to a cloud service so once the phone re-set, it pulled everything down and I was back up and running within an hour. There's some VERY minor personalization tweaks that need to be done soon (backgrounds, call sounds, etc...) but nothing compared to having a brick for a phone.

Good advice :D

Twiggie1990

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue also. I have downloaded Kies, but now whenever i attempt to access the download menu, the green man flashes for a split second and then goes back to the samsung logo :\. Any ideas?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You don't have a cable connected when you're trying to boot into Download mode, correct?

Have you tried pulling the battery, then booting into Download mode?

If the phone won't stay in Download mode then we're out of options. You could try finding a JTAG service and they might be able to recover it. Otherwise it's time for Samsung repair or insurance replacement.