A solution for root users to the dreaded screen flickering issue!

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Have you ever experienced the issue with your s3 where you see faint lines going across the screen? I have, and it's an issue that is well documented. I can tell you from experience, it's annoying. Many people have said turning off hw overlays in developer options solves the problem. The sad thing is, it only minimizes the issue and you have to select the option again whenever you reboot. Not only that, the gpu is stuck doing the work which adds lag to the the phone. Well guys, I've found a real solution. However, you have to be rooted. There's an app called pimp my rom, it's very useful. If you open it and go to tweaks, enable and disable features, you should see a surface dithering option. Check it and reboot. Bam! No more problems with screen flickering. I have been able to confirm this on a few s3 devices that this does indeed solve the issue. If you have ever experienced this problem, please try my solution. I hope this helps!

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I found disabling hw overlays and forcing gpu rendering works perfectly

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.9 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've never noticed this problem at all, on either the stock ROM, Wicked Sensations, or MOAR, which I'm running now. I don't have either of those options checked, btw.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I've never noticed this problem at all, on either the stock ROM, Wicked Sensations, or MOAR, which I'm running now. I don't have either of those options checked, btw.

It is an issue that has been documented, a Google search should prove that. However, it doesn't occur on all devices. I've seen it explained as a specific glitch in the 4.2 variants of android, although I've only seen it happen on the s3's. Apparently it's a glitch where the Android system can't determine whether to use the cpu or gpu, so it switches between them rapidly which creates little almost transparent lines that run horizontally across the screen. It's actually quite interesting. I'm not sure exactly what surface dithering does, but I know it is an option that has been shown through my tests to be an effective solution. The hw overlay has also been shown to be effective on some s3's, but not all. This problem has occurred on stock touchwiz, and pretty much every rom available for the s3. It may not show up on your device, but it has been seen on a significant amount

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome