Recently, my galaxy s3's battery has been draining as fast at 4 hours! It used to go forever! The battery app says that "Media" is wasting 70% of my battery. What can I do to make this stop draining so much battery as it is really getting in the way. Thanks
    09-12-2013 03:10 PM
    Android periodically rescans your internal and external SD cards so it can maintain a directory of images, mustic, videos, etc. If it gets stuck on a bad file, it can set there trying to read it forever, chewing up cpu and battery. It's definitely a bug.

So you probably have a corrupt media file, or a corrupt directory entry. Do you have a removable SD card? If so, remove it and see if that solves the problem. If so, copy off all the files, reformat the card, then add the files back. If it stays fixed, you have a corrupted directory. If the problem comes back, you've got a bad file. Delete them all, then add back just a subset. If things are OK, add another subset. Repeat until the problem recurs, then you know the problem is with that last batch of files.

If removing the SD card doesn't fix it, try copying any media (music, video, photo, etc.) files off of the internal SD card, then delete those files from the internal card. See if that solves it. If so, follow the same procedure as above to isolate the problem.
    09-12-2013 05:50 PM
    I had the same sudden issue. They replaced the battery and it still did the same. I factory reset two days ago after trying everything else and that worked. It now seems to be back to normal. I have a filling it had to do with a recent update or an app. Backup everything and try that and it should work.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-13-2013 01:14 PM
    With a little bit of analysis, you probably could have determined what was causing the problem and resolved it without having to reset.
    09-13-2013 03:40 PM
    Lots of analysis was done between the Sprint techs and me and my husband who work in IT. The reset was last option. It may not be for others but it was for us. Frankly, a factory reset doesn't bother me. All data stays backed up through cloud and apps also backed up... So not a problem to me.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-14-2013 02:28 PM
    How many Sprint technicians and IT professionals does it take to....Oh, never mind, you've probably heard that one already.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    09-14-2013 05:33 PM