Backup Battery or Extended Battery?

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
ok, so next week i'm going up to Ohio for a football game. Game is at 8pm est, so no way in hell my phone lasts the entire day (especially since I'll be on 4G most of the time), and since I plan on taking pictures/videos as well with it instead of the crap camera that I have.

I'm looking into buying the electra case from Trident for my S3, anyone use that before? I like the big cases for my phone which is why I'm looking in that one (I'm already using the Trident Kraken).

The only reason why the electra and not any other extended battery is strictly because of case, I need to have a durable/bulky case, especially since I'll be in a crazy environment, and most likely drunk

Or, I'm thinking about just buying a 2nd battery and putting that one in once my main one dies (which is what I'm leaning toward)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
How often do you run out of power in the stock battery? If it's frequently, then you probably should get a larger battery so that you don't have to pull the case and back off the phone all the time.. But if you need extra battery life only occasionally, then a spare battery won't make your phone bulky all the time. I carry a spare battery, because I only need to swap it in only occasionally.

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
How often do you run out of power in the stock battery? If it's frequently, then you probably should get a larger battery so that you don't have to pull the case and back off the phone all the time.. But if you need extra battery life only occasionally, then a spare battery won't make your phone bulky all the time. I carry a spare battery, because I only need to swap it in only occasionally.

i almost never run out, but it's really only for this one day when i'm going to be at the football game, and walking around campus from about 8am-midnight

I'm thinking just buying a spare battery from samsung is probably the best way for me to go

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Spare battery = turn phone off + remove heavy duty case + remove existing back + swap out battery + reverse steps + DRUNK! (+ if you're using it heavily and you run down the 2nd battery you're SOL)

Other options like ZeroLemon or Anker = you're good to go OR simply plug the phone into the external battery pack. Your call.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
i almost never run out, but it's really only for this one day when i'm going to be at the football game, and walking around campus from about 8am-midnight

I'm thinking just buying a spare battery from samsung is probably the best way for me to go

You can save ton of money by buying an aftermarket battery from Amazon. They probably don't have quite the capacity of the OEM battery, but if you'll only use it once in a while that's probably fine.

Spare battery = turn phone off + remove heavy duty case + remove existing back + swap out battery + reverse steps + DRUNK! (+ if you're using it heavily and you run down the 2nd battery you're SOL)

Other options like ZeroLemon or Anker = you're good to go OR simply plug the phone into the external battery pack. Your call.

True. But on the other hand, using an extended battery means you're always carrying around more weight, dealing with a bigger bulge in your pants (and not where you want it), and have a limited selection of cases and backs to choose from. If you only need that extra capacity once in a while, why put up with the downsides all the time?

There's no right answer, other than the one that fits your individual needs. Which may not be the same as mine.

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
ok, so I'm looking at the anker

I don't know much about batteries, etc. So what's the difference between some of the Anker? I noticed they have a cheaper one, and the difference I see is it's 4500mAh vs 13000mAh

How much for an avg person, and what I'll use it for will I need the bigger one, will I notice a big difference? thanks

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have 3 batteries: OEM battery, Hyperion 4200 mAh, and a ZeroLemon 7000 mAh.
I ended up exclusively using the ZeroLemon battery.

**I see that Hyperion has entered the game with a 7000 mAh as well @ $29.99
Hyperion 7000

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The 4500 mAh will charge your stock battery about twice before it's empty; the 13,000 about 6 times. For the small difference in cost I'd go with the higher capacity one, but obviously it's physically bigger and heavier.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

ipwn3r456

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I personally own the Anker Astro E4, and it's a really nice product. Been using it in my China trip as well. For the case, I choose the Otterbox Commuter Series for my Galaxy S3, it's not extremely thick but provides good protection to the device, not as strong as the Defender or the Armor series, but it's a balance of size and protection.

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
So I went with the Anker 6000 mAh charger...just got it today, and here it doesn't fit into my phone with my Trident Kraken case on it...SMH

was the whole point in me buying one of these

anon(859166)

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
why buy an extended battery when you cant use your case? it seems you like cases that protect too. I have the otterbox commuter in 3 colors and swear by them. Ill purposely throw my phone across a room to freak people out (btw always have a nandroid hah). Only broken the screen once out of at least 90+ throws.

To make sure I can still use my case. I have the 10000mah anker rather than something that might fit inside a case. I use it for car trips and planes and it does the job real well. I'll also carry 4 spare OEM batteries. I do this cause I go away on week long climbing trips without electricity and have never used all of them. Besides, carrying your phone and a spare battery is usually less bulky than a huge case w extended battery which won't match the capacity of two OEMs.

btw, if you turn off data and sync and turn them on to manually sync the batteries will last a lot longer and who really cares about instant emails or that someone needs a life in candy crush when you're partying. texts and calls still come in fine.

Hope this helps.

"you gotta be a lil crazy to stay sane..."

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
and here it doesn't fit into my phone with my Trident Kraken case on it
You're saying that the micro-USB connector that comes with the Anker doesn't plug in through your case? That's weird, but you can use any regular USB<>micro-USB cable that you have. You didn't post a link to what you bought, but all of the Ankers that I've seen have standard USB ports on them.

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about getting the official Samsung extended battery. Is it worth it. I don't want to add too much bulk and weight to the phone and it needs to be reliable. I very rarely have my phone in a case.

Sent using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and Tapatalk 4

I'm usually on Twitter @Ichi_Bear ;-)

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
So I went with the Anker 6000 mAh charger...just got it today, and here it doesn't fit into my phone with my Trident Kraken case on it...SMH

was the whole point in me buying one of these
There's something wrong with the case then. The Anker connector is smaller than the Samsung one. If Sammy fits, Anker will.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12