Another Samsung Galaxy 3 connectivity issue.....

TopTheCat

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

So i have a Samsung Galaxy 3 and i am trying to connect it to my company Dell laptop, running Microsoft XP 2002, to download some photos i have taken for work.

First off, it would connect but not find any of my files. I changed the settings to read it as a camera, rather than a media device and now it finds all my folders, but it will only find a very small percentage of the pictures within the DCIM folder: 28 out of 537. It's not even the first 28 either; half of them are from when i first had the phone, about a year ago, then the other half are from the end of last month.

So my question is, can anybody help me find all my missing pictures??

So you know, my company laptop is pretty much locked up with admin rights and i can't install any additional software or drivers of any kind. So Kies is a no-go. I have tried importing them through the preinstalled Windows picture manger and the Samsung picture manager and neither of them can find them either.
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered in a previous thread.

Help me forum gurus, your my only hope!!

Cheers,
Top.

Chris Miller14

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi not sure if this will work but you could try to email them to your computer from your phone or if you have a home pc save them on to your desktop and copy them to a flash drive.

Posted via Android Central App on my s3 GT 19300

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
First things first...
- what firmware do you have on the phone (ex. 4.1.2)?
- do you have an SD card?
- if you use the My Files app and navigate to /storage/sdcard0/DCIM/Camera, do you see all of your pictures there?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

TopTheCat

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi not sure if this will work but you could try to email them to your computer from your phone or if you have a home pc save them on to your desktop and copy them to a flash drive.

Posted via Android Central App on my s3 GT 19300

I was going to email them over, but with the file sizes, it would probably crash my work servers. I know i could have compressed them and so on, but i was just after a simple fix to save all the grief.

Over the weekend, i have transferred them all to a flash drive through my home laptop and then brought them back into work and transferred them over again, which is fine in the short term, but doesn't really solve the initial problem.

Thanks anyway Chris.

TopTheCat

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
First things first...
- what firmware do you have on the phone (ex. 4.1.2)?
- do you have an SD card?
- if you use the My Files app and navigate to /storage/sdcard0/DCIM/Camera, do you see all of your pictures there?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

- I am on 4.0.4
- Yes i do, but my laptop doesn't.
- Yes, they are all there.

Cheers.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
TopTheCat,
If I remember correctly 4.0.4 (ICS) still supported USB Mass Storage connection - you should be able to navigate to that directory that I mentioned, and there shouldn't be any files hidden (unless Windows Explorer is set to not show certain file types, which is a possibility).

TopTheCat

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
TopTheCat,
If I remember correctly 4.0.4 (ICS) still supported USB Mass Storage connection - you should be able to navigate to that directory that I mentioned, and there shouldn't be any files hidden (unless Windows Explorer is set to not show certain file types, which is a possibility).

I can access that folder, along with all the rest, but it is still only showing 28 of over 540 pictures. (I have taken more since i originally posted)
If i access my music folder, all my music is in there, along with all my pictures in my pictures folder and so on. It is just the DCIM/Camera folder that doesn't show everything.
I have tried amending the folder options to show all hidden files (not that i have hidden them in the first place) and still nothing......

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Weirder and weirder...

How about trying Kies Air or AirDroid: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.sand.airdroid to access the contents of your phone via a web browser on your PC? I can't think of anything else to get around this strange behavior.

What OS is on this company laptop anyway?

TopTheCat

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Weirder and weirder...

How about trying Kies Air or AirDroid: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.sand.airdroid to access the contents of your phone via a web browser on your PC? I can't think of anything else to get around this strange behavior.

What OS is on this company laptop anyway?

Kies is a no-go as my laptop is blocked up with administrator rights and i can't install any 'unauthorized software'
I work for a national utilities company and all our machines are only allowed certain software packages due to auditing and accreditation procedures.
I clicked the link to the Google Market / AirDroid, but it was blocked by our over-zealous firewall...... (I am very surprised i am managing to get on this forum in the first place to be honest!!) I can access the AirDroid page itself, so i will instal the app from home and see if i can use it from there. Just as long as i don't have to install anything to my laptop for it to operate that is!

My OS Is Microsoft XP Version 5.1 - Service Pack 2 - 2001

I know, i couldn't keep a straight face whilst i typed it either!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Kies Air and AirDroid are similar apps that run on the phone - all you need is a browser on the PC. Basically, the apps will provide you with an address to put in the browser (ex. http://192.168.1.1:8000) and when you put in the address it'll connect to the phone and at that point you can navigate through the contents on the phone, copy stuff off of the phone or put stuff on the phone.

The phone and computer need to be on the same Wi-Fi network, or if you're using AirDroid you have to setup an account and login that way.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'll second that - unfortunately you can't find PCs in the retail channel with Windows 7 on them - you can only order online, and of course it's ~$50 more to get Windows 7.

Windows 8.1 is supposed to bring back the Start button, but I'm not holding my breath...