Help!

My boyfriend has an unrooted Galaxy S3, that he bought off Craigslist (and possibly bought someone's problem), then had it flashed to Cricket. He's had the phone about 6 mos with terrible battery life the whole time. I convinced him to do a factory data reset, as it did a world of good on my Razr maxx hd. We did that three times. The only app he's had on it is Viber. He waited a day to see if the battery was any better as a stock phone but it wasn't. Often the phone gets hot when he's using it for simple things like texting or texting on Viber.

Any suggestions? After 3 factory resets, I'm stumped.
    10-08-2013 11:14 AM
    Help!

My boyfriend has an unrooted Galaxy S3, that he bought off Craigslist (and possibly bought someone's problem), then had it flashed to Cricket. He's had the phone about 6 mos with terrible battery life the whole time. I convinced him to do a factory data reset, as it did a world of good on my Razr maxx hd. We did that three times. The only app he's had on it is Viber. He waited a day to see if the battery was any better as a stock phone but it wasn't. Often the phone gets hot when he's using it for simple things like texting or texting on Viber.

Any suggestions? After 3 factory resets, I'm stumped.
    Can you get him to post a screen shot of the battery stats? If nothing appears out of the ordinary with how the device is running and what is consuming battery it might be a great idea to replace the battery.

You can find a replacement Android Central's Shop Android site here: Samsung Galaxy S3 Batteries - ShopAndroid
    10-08-2013 11:35 AM
    Thanks but I forgot to mention that he's replaced the battery 3 times, most recently about 2 weeks ago.
    10-08-2013 11:57 AM
    The phone shouldn't be getting hot unless he's running some graphics intensive games, or something like a navigation app + GPS + mobile data.

He can try
    SystemPanel: http://market.android.com/details?id...systempanel.r1
    or
    Wakelock Detector: http://market.android.com/details?id...kelockdetector
    to see if there's some process that's chewing up the CPU.

And as previously noted, the following three screenshots from Settings -> Battery are a prerequisite to giving us an idea of what may be going on. Be sure the phone starts fully charged and gets down to less than 50%, with no intermediate charge cycles.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    10-08-2013 03:02 PM
    Sometimes an app is the culprit. I've found that TuneIn Radio is a problem. Whenever I've finished using it, I have to reboot; otherwise my battery will run down in just a few hours, even if I've exited the app correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-10-2013 12:17 AM