virgin mobile Samsung galaxy s3 rooted

steveazusa

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi my phone is rooted stock and i can't update it through the factory update since i deleted most of the factory apps so my thing was can i flash a stock rom zip over my stock rooted phone so i have all the factory apps? Or will this brick my phone i also have stock recovery btw

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well if you're using the stock Recovery software then you can't use it to flash the stock ROM zip file. Odin won't flash a zip file either. You'll have to find the tar file or equivalent for Odin.

Or you could use the Kies software to reload the stock firmware.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Basically:
- install Kies
- run it once (it'll update to the latest version)
- put phone in Download mode and connect it to PC and let drivers install
- in Kies, select the second item in the Tools menu (something like Emergency firmware update and Initialisation)
- follow the prompts (model number and IMEI can be found under the battery; be sure to enter the model number in CAPS)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

steveazusa

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Dude! Thanks it worked! Thought that annoying pop up of update firmware would never go away! From now on I'm freezing those annoying factory apps

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
From now on I'm freezing those annoying factory apps
You can certainly do that - I just ended up disabling all of the apps that appeared to be useless, although there were a handful that I couldn't disable (unrooted at the moment). For the amount of memory that the handful were using it wasn't a big deal to me. YMMV.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
BTW, here's all the stuff that I disabled on my Verizon S3 (4.1.2, MF1):
Accessories
AllShare Play
Caller Name ID
Exchange services
Google+
Media Hub
Music Hub
MusicFX
Picasa Uploader
S Suggest
S Voice
Samsung account
SNS
Stock Daemon(EUR)
Swype
Sync Service
Talk
Verizon Tones
VZ Navigator
Weather Daemon(EUR)
Weather Widget Main
Yahoo! Finance
Yahoo! News

The ones that I couldn't disable (unrooted) that I wanted to check out were:
AllShare Service
Backup+ Media
Factory Mode
NewBayService
PageBuddyNotiSvc
Verizon Remote Diagnostics

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15