I have been browsing all sorts of responses to the battery issue on the S3 but so far I have found nothing to help me. I bought my original galaxy on oct 28 2012 and have loved it except for the headphone jack which kept ruining my headphones. I just thought it was crappy headphones (I am kinda cheap on the things I buy for me and prefer to use my money on my kids). Well Yesterday I went to the ATT repair store and they told me the headphone jack was out entirely now and my phone had to be replaced. Luckily I had 15 days left on my warranty. I had 20% battery when they placed in the "like new" phone and it immediatley dropped to 13%. The only apps I put on my phone were apps that I had on my previous one (Facebook, Instagram, accuweather, weather channel, Spotify, ect.) I also limited the background processes to 4. My screen is on auto. I unistalled almost all updates on preloaded apps since I never use them. What is really concerning to me is that my phone is getting incredibly hot, I feel the heat through my otterbox defender case and its quite uncomfortable to the touch I dont even want to think about how it would feel outside the case. I put my phone on the charger last night at 11 pm when it had 10% battery life (I charged it a bit after I recieved it), It said it was charged to 100% when I took it off at 5:30 am and all I did was check the weather apps and the battery power fell to 65% in 45 minutes. The phone while on the charger in my car said 35% and I was making a call and with the charger plugged in the entire time it actually dropped to 33%. I went into work at 9:30 am with 33% charge and by 10 am the phone was dead. The entire time the phone was in my pocket. I would post screen shots but its now completely dead. I also have power saving mode on, bluetooth and wifi off and screen timeout at 30 seconds. The device when on always feels hot. Do I need to go in again and get another phone?
    10-14-2013 11:05 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Remove the battery and spin it on a flat surface, like a table. If it spins for a few seconds then its time for a replacement. If it doesn't spin, then the issue may not be the battery itself.

I'm guessing its the battery based on the description of your problems.
    10-14-2013 11:09 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Remove the battery and spin it on a flat surface, like a table. If it spins for a few seconds then its time for a replacement. If it doesn't spin, then the issue may not be the battery itself.

I'm guessing its the battery based on the description of your problems.
    The Battery worked fine yesterday before I switched to the phone they gave my under warranty. I could last a day and a half with minimal to average use without having to recharge. Its the fact that now the device is becoming really hot that kinda scares me.
    10-14-2013 11:15 AM
    OK my phone is completely screwed. I tried charging it and I can't even get it to power on. AAAHHHH! So frustrating.
    10-14-2013 01:56 PM
    It sounds like the replacement they gave you is a dud - the phone should never get hot just sitting around doing nothing.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    CR6 likes this.
    10-14-2013 02:40 PM
    I called the AT&T repair store that gave me the replacement phone and they will check it again tonight. I also contacted Samsung and they were incredibly rude and unhelpful. I would switch back to the iPhone if I didn't love Android so much. I am kinda tech illiterate (feel like the only person in their 20's who is) and would love an opinion from someone who understands all this stuff, Which Android phone do you think is the best for someone who is a moderate user? (I only use it for my social media, calls, texts and browsing the web, Oh and listening to my music on Spotify) I am due for an upgrade soon and based on the service (or lack thereof) I recieved from Samsung today I am not sure I wanna go through them again.
    10-14-2013 03:19 PM
    It's too bad that you got stuck with a lemon - I've had my S3 since July of last year and have had no issues, and I think for the things that you listed you'd be quite happy with (a working) one.

I have read some posts about lousy service from Samsung, but I suppose that when they sell 30 million of those things some folks are bound to have a bad experience.

The soon-to-be announced Nexus (5?) looks to be a great phone (except on Verizon). The Moto X, LG G2 and even the HTC One are all nice phones - the Moto X probably has the best radios out of the bunch (in case you live in an area with spotty coverage).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    CR6 likes this.
    10-14-2013 10:27 PM