Not Getting Text Message Notifications

Kristina Kim

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3 (Verizon) and it will no longer alert me when I receive a text message. This just started randomly the other day and I did not download any new apps, etc. I am getting notifications for emails and voicemails just fine though. There is no alert and it does not show up in the notifications or icon. The only way I know I have received a text message is if I open and check the app directly. I downloaded ChompSMS over a year ago and set the notifications on again just so I can get some form of alert when a text message does come in.

I have gone to the Message app Setting and the Notifications setting is still on. I have also tried raising the text message limit and even checked off on deleting old messages, like the other threads in the past suggested. Nothing works. I have also restarted my phone several times but would like reset/reboot my phone as a very last option (and from reading the past threads, rebooting didn't necessarily seem to help either...).

Can anybody help me or give me any advice on how to resolve this issue? Thank you!

Aron Tripp

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I know it seems trivial, but my mom's S3 had the same problem. Her phone kept getting the sync toggle in the notification tray switched off. I assume she did it on accident but it's happened several times now. I taught her to check it regularly. Is that perhaps the solution to your dilemma?

Kristina Kim

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Aron, just checked my phone and the sync toggle is on (from the menu that you drag down from top to bottom). Is there another way to make sure it's on?

Thrashing_Rage

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm also having the same issue with my samsung galaxy 3 since yesterday afternoon. I've made sure the notification feature is turned on the default messaging app, as well as having my sync feature in the settings turned on. I've tried restarting my phone multiple times, uninstalled all updates to "samsung push" to see if that was causing an issue.

I do have chompsms and use it as my default texting app, but have never had issues in the past with it not showing a notification, sound, or LED light up when a new message is received. As Kristina stated the only way to know that you have a new message is to open up your messages and see that there's a new one. I looked on the chompsms site to see if people might have reported that they were having issues (i thought maybe an update created it) but haven't seen anything. This is very frustrating because I still get email notifications showing up in the tray on top, but can't for the life of me understand why there's nothing for text messages.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Kristina,
Have you tried contacting Verizon to see if the problem is on their end?
It's pretty unusual that nothing shows up in the Status bar and that you're not getting a Notification when you pull down from the Status bar.
Are you running the latest firmware (4.1.2, MF1)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
First off the sync setting doesn't affect SMS messages -- remember SMS came long before data and Google sync services. Also, it would only be a carrier problem if the messages weren't arriving at all but since they are there when the OP opens the app...

ChompSMS apparently relies on the built-in messenging app to catch the incoming message so make sure the built-in msg app is NOT disabled or removed. There have been reports of problems if things aren't exactly right.

Go into the built-in app and turn it's notification ON temporarily. Check further down and make sure the ringtone is not set to silent--DEFAULT works but SILENT somehow overrides Chomp. Then turn notification OFF and exit. Go into Chomp and set it's notification ON with the ringtone you actually want.

See if this fixes things--problem has to be somewhere in that area assuming you don't have LightFlow or similar app controlling notifications.

Kristina Kim

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
GSDer, I am currently talking to Verizon. Hopefully, they can provide some sort of help...
How do I check to make sure I am running the latest firmware (I'm a little technology challenged). As far as I know, I think I'm up-to-date with everything.

JudH, I just tried this but the built-in messaging app still doesn't work. Chomp still works fine though. Maybe it's a problem with my phone's system?

Kristina Kim

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Problem Solved!

Wow I feel so dumb. I guess my ChompSMS app was overriding my built-in messaging app. Uninstalled Chomp and now everything is back to normal! Thank you to everyone for their help and input!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How do I check to make sure I am running the latest firmware
Settings -> About phone
te8ejuga.jpg
(This information obviously applies to Verizon S3s.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

scat89

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm not running any additional message apps and I am not getting my notifications/message preview as I should. Have checked everything before so if anyone has insight, please let me know. Rather annoying if you are in a meeting or other group setting and need to see who the message is from w/o lighting up the room with your phone.

ROHIT NAKTODE

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
:cool:

Not Getting Text Message Notifications:

Just goto SETTINGS-->apps----->check all process---> scroll down for Message app----> clear the cache and check the box--(show notifications)

your problem will resolve.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Lamar,
Did you also make sure that 'Show notifications' was checked?
usa6uren.jpg
If that's not the issue, we'll need more information (model number/carrier/firmware version).

Libby6873

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Found a reply to another thread that showed Google Hangouts was interfering with peoples notifications. I hadn't been getting them for at least a month. I opened up Hangouts, went to settings and turned off SMS and am now getting audio and visual notifications again for texts.

legweak

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This was the problem on my end, as well. Google Hangouts, if you've allowed it to take on your SMS work, will override the settings of the Android messaging app. If you turn off SMS in Google Hangouts, the notifications will immediately return. Easy fix.

Tisbebe

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
FINALLY, thanks so much for informing me about Hangouts!!

I had turned it off and logged out of google, but didn't realize that you can't log out without that it would automatically log you back in and turn on you SMS's.

So now I turned off SMS Hangouts and my notifcations and sounds came back on!!!!

Thanks sooooo much!!!!

gcsimpson

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Your "about device" is identical to mine. Do not have google hangout nor any SMS apps and I've tried everything recommended and still receive no text notifications.

gcsimpson

May 25, 2012
Visit site
THX BRO.. you save my life from format n reinstall root to my phone..thx a lot

feel like an *****. I looked and looked for Google hangout, only yesterday to have it pop up as a sharing option in Accuradio. then went searching for it again and found it, (as "hangout" rather than " Google hangout") checked "notifications", and stopped it just for good measure, and problem solved. I don't know how I missed it when I was looking before. so some of you who may still be having this "unsolvable" problem may have hangout on your phone and not know it. the way I discovered it was clicking " share" in Accuradio, and there it was as an option.

Last edited by a moderator: