help. galaxy s3 headphone jack problem

thikthird

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
A couple weeks back I started experiencing a problem with my headphones/headphone jack on my S3. I've had the phone for a year and had no problems up to this point.

When I put in a pair of headphones into the jack, a few things happen. First of all, I get a clicking noise, regardless of whether or not any media or sounds are playing. Second, unless I fiddle with the jack, take it out, plug it back in, twist it around, it doesn't recognize the headphones as being connected. Strangely, it seems to have a better shot of recognizing them if they're half unplugged, and not in all the way. Third, when it does finally recognize them (if it does), it automatically starts up the stock music player app, but on pause and not playing anything. Finally, when I do get them in and recognized, and whatever app I want playing the media I want, the clicking persists and there is a lot of static and crackling, and the volume is very low even when turned up all the way.

I've tried a few things. First, I tried this with 3 pairs of headphones, and the problem persisted with each pair. Additionally, I confirmed those headphones all worked by plugging them into other devices. But here's the strangest part to me -- none of these problems arise when I plug my S3 into my car's auxiliary audio jack. Everything works fine there.

Anyone else encounter anything similar?

gingerbreadman520

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
And I'd like to add I'm having the EXACT same issue. If I hear anything I'll be sure that this is the first place I go so I can update you! Good luck to us both!

Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried blowing out the headphone jack with compressed air?
What about looking into the headphone jack with a bright light?
If you see fluff or anything in there and it won't come out with compressed air, you can try a pin/needle (be sure to take the battery out first).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like the contacts in the headphone jack are not making a good connection. That stuff is all pretty delicate, so although the solution is probably to just bend the contacts back out a little, you're on your own there.

You could look at the iFixit teardown videos to see if the jack was easily replaceable - it might a modular piece that you could easily replace.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

gingerbreadman520

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I just brought it in to the tech support at the store near where I live and they suggested to have insurance send me a refurbished one, to have the store send it in would have been $300 at least. As where insurance sends me a refurbished one in by Tuesday for a bit over $100... I think the best choice is obvious

Johnathan Kratky

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. I took it to a fixit guy. To replace the headphone jack completely it will cost me $65 same day fix in west Hollywood. He told me before I take it in for fix, be sure to look in the jack for dirt on any of the contacts. Do not bend the contacts yourself they do not bend because they are little nubs that make contact to you headphone jack in 3 locations. Also check the bottom of the plug to be sure there is not dirt or debris, this would likely cause the headphone jack from aligning properly. I will look at mine tonight and update in Morning. .

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
All the earphones I tried are not working and my tab is just a few months old.
You may be better off posting in the correct forum for your device - you're likely to get more pertinent information.

With that said, did it ever work correctly?
If so, what happened around the time that it stopped working?
Have you tried blowing the connector out with compressed air?
Or looking in with a magnifying glass to see if any debris is stuck in there?

If none of your headphones work but they're fine in another device then it sounds like it's time to send it in for warranty repair.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan