Any good messaging apps?

ipwn3r456

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Got my plan changed today, now only got talk and data. No messaging. Is there any good messaging apps that can be send over data or wifi? Other than Pinger, is there any better apps?

ipwn3r456

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
WhatsApp: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.whatsapp
Redact: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.redact.redact&token=qHtEO7oa (looks interesting, but pretty pricey).
Of course, all of these require your friends to also have the same app installed.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

It has to be the same app? That sucks. So there aren't any apps that can send a message to someone's phone without the app, if they have a messaging plan?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
As far as I'm aware, all of the proprietary messaging apps require both parties to be using the same app. There are a few where they support a couple of different standards, but your friends still need to be using at least one proprietary app. Sorry.

Guess that's why normal SMS (using the cellular network) are so 'valuable' to the carriers.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The Google Voice app can send/receive real SMS messages via WiFi or cellular data (not MMS for non Sprint users) but that means giving out a 2nd number if you're not using GV as your primary number.

The carriers really screwed users that use more than 25 but less than 100 messages when they dropped the $5 limited message plans.

ipwn3r456

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't want any apps that requires the other person I am messaging to, to install the app itself. I am looking for texting apps that can able to send messages that the person is able to receive it with their SMS plan (any carriers, T-Mobile, AT&T, Verzion, etc.). I have been researching for a few apps, textPlus and Viber. Is there anymore good ones?

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
There really aren't many options avail that don't require the other party to download the same app. That's the cost of free texting without an sms plan. Good luck. Hopefully you can find a reliable one. :thumbup:

tap'n

ipwn3r456

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded a few apps, and found that TextPlus works for me. Atleast my friend got a message, and he's using T-Mobile. They said it should work on other carriers as well, but we will see.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Glad you found a solution and came back to post what it was!

bunta

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Glad you found a solution and came back to post what it was!

Google voice app is always a good option if your cell service sucks but wifi works. Just have to make sure your friends update their contacts to include the gv number with your name.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4