My Galaxy S III won't turn on

aLvindeBa

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: My Galaxy S3 won't turn on

Hey everyone. I have huge problem with my Galaxy Nexus i9250 for few days now.
Let me start from beggining.
First it was showing charging symbol even if it ain't plugged in. Then it stopped after I cleaned charging port.
Few weeks back there were great floods in my region (Bosnia) and we were in lack of electricity so I started to charge it on a car charger and after it's completely charged (2h) as soon as I start to use it the battery goes off really fast, example, if I use it for let's say calls or even on "stand by" after 30mins the battery goes for like 40%. That's when problems started to begin. If it was turned off becuase of lack of battery I had to turn it on by pressing "Down volume + power" for first 2 times. Then I had to remove battery for few seconds then put it back not completely but I had to press the battery against those 4 pins which conduct electricity to a cell phone and press those two buttons for like 30 seconds to turn it on. Few days ago, I had same problem, but this time it wasnt empty on battery, it was in my pocked with almost 50% of battery when I took it and I saw it was off. Tried again that same proccedure, it turned on, showed recovery menu and it turned off. Ever since I can't turn it on, it charges, but it doesn't show charging indicator on my screen. When I put my battery in other phone it shows it's fully charged. I can't turn it on, my PC won't reconize it, let's say it's dead. I don't know what's happening, so I'm asking here if anyone knows what to do. Thanks to all.

Seems like I found the solution, but for Samsung Galaxy SII it seems. I think this would work on my Nexus i9250 but I have trouble finding those capacitors so if is here anyone who can help me, I would pay. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhCks3QAjz4 Thanks in advance.

Laurender

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

The usual problem here. On GT-I9300, in Finland.
Started a update this morning, the battery was full. I left it on a table while I went to eat breakfast. When I got back, the phone was closed unlike after other updates. Tried to open, get the black screen with white letters saying Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. Found these forums and tried the suggested fixes. I could open recovery mode, but nothing I did there helped. I could open download mode, but Kies says something like "This devices version can not be upgraded". And the file for Odin would take five hours to load. I'll probably take it for maintenance, but I thought I'll ask if you have anything new on this.

grobolom

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site

I've got a dead S3 as well - if anyone could help out, it would be much appreciated:

Phone randomly died when off the charger at around 50% battery. Tried to turn it on - at first, it would get to the Samsung logo and die. Now, it doesn't even get there - just vibrates a few times, then dies. I tried a friend's battery, still nothing. If I connect the USB cable to my computer with the battery out, I see the LED turn red, then turn off. If I put in the battery, it turns back to red but doesn't appear to do anything. The phone will not go to recovery or download mode, and pushing the power button in general seems to do nothing. Any ideas?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the forums!
The phone will not go to recovery or download mode, and pushing the power button in general seems to do nothing.
If the phone won't boot into Download mode there's not much you can do - any hope to reload the firmware pretty much requires that. (There's one exception that I'm aware of but it probably doesn't apply here.)

If you take the battery out and reinsert it does the phone turn itself on (without you pressing the Power button)?

If you take the battery out and reinsert it, then connect a charger, do you see the battery graphic showing the current battery level and charging activity?

Have you tried a different cable/charger?

It's possible that the micro-USB port is jacked up (or just full of gunk - you could try cleaning it out with compressed air or electronic contact cleaner [be sure the battery is out] and a toothbrush).

If you don't have any success with the above you could contact a JTAG service (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

tmh2

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site

how did you get it to work again? cuz i have the same exact problem (only "samsung" sign and "samsung s3" sign are loading then it shuts off")

grobolom

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site

If you take the battery out and reinsert it does the phone turn itself on (without you pressing the Power button)?

If you take the battery out and reinsert it, then connect a charger, do you see the battery graphic showing the current battery level and charging activity?

Have you tried a different cable/charger?

It's possible that the micro-USB port is jacked up (or just full of gunk - you could try cleaning it out with compressed air or electronic contact cleaner [be sure the battery is out] and a toothbrush).

Yes, No, Yes. However, the phone only vibrates - it no longer even gets to the Samsung logo. I've cleaned out the port with compressed air, but saw no changes. I've ordered a Jig but that's only coming Tuesday, so if that doesn't work I'll try the JTAG service.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Yes, No, Yes.
If the phone turns itself on when you insert the battery then your problem is with the Power switch on the mainboard. Either the Power button (the plastic piece that we press on) is jammed against it or the actual Power switch is stuck down (or just malfunctioning).

If you open the phone up you can try cleaning around the switch (compressed air; toothbrush; electronic contact cleaner [be sure the battery is removed]) and exercising it.

If you're a DIYer you can replace it yourself or have it have it done somewhere (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-power-button-repair/).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site

Is this issue of yours resolved ? As am facing the same problem now. My phone is just loading the Samsung screen and the galaxy s3 symbol.

Please help
TIA

I had the same problem last night. My phone had 35% battery and it turned off all of a sudden randomly. now i cant get it to turn on. It only loads the Samsung screen and the Galaxy S3 symbol.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the forums!
My phone is just loading the Samsung screen and the galaxy s3 symbol.
If you take the battery out and reinsert it, does the phone turn itself on (without you pressing the Power button)?

Is it getting stuck and staying on, or getting stuck and shutting off?

Can you boot into Recovery mode or Download mode?

glittersprinkler

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

Wo i had the same problem with my phone so i took it back to the store i purchased my s3 from. They were saying something about how if its owners fault then you have to pay etc.. Would it be owners fault or just faulty phone? Im freaking out coz I dont really want to pay much for the damage coz it just happened so suddenly and i dont have money atm. Pls reply

uzair725

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site

Hi, I have a similar problem. I was used my phone and then put it on charging and went to sleep. I woke up and saw a blue light flashing on the phone as If there is a notification. I unplugged the charger and waited for the phone to come to life as normal, but it did not come on. I pressed the home button to activate the screen but nothing happened and the blue light kept on flashing. I then pressed the power button and hold it until it went off. I then tried to boot it again and now nothing is happening. None of the lights are coming on and phone is completely dead. I've tried to take the battery out for a few minutes and then put it back in and tried to plug the charger in but nothing is happening. I would appreciate if anyone of you have any solutions?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the forums!
I've tried to take the battery out for a few minutes and then put it back in and tried to plug the charger in but nothing is happening.
You don't even see the battery graphic on the screen when you connect the charger?
Do you have access to another battery?
Have you tried a different charger/cable?

gazy69

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site

Hi.
My samsung galaxy s3has just done the same as yours did. Can u please tell me how u fixed it
Meant thanks. Gary

Marsh511

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Hello - Well, I've come to the same place as almost all of you, but my phone just came through an "adventure", so I'm not sure how to even isolate the problem. My wife's Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH535) won't turn on, has the red charging light come on ONLY if I insert the charger after I've taken the battery out then re-inserted, and when I try to turn the unit on, it will buzz as if it's going to start, but never makes it to any splash screen or logo. The screen remains entirely blank (including the 3 virtual buttons at the bottom).

Three days ago, she dropped the phone and shattered the screen. At that point, the screen did not light up, but at least I was seeing the navigation buttons at the bottom light up. I did try to run my fingers across the shattered screen to see if I could engage it, but no go. Plugging in a USB cable to a PC allowed me to see all the File contents (DCIM, Android, etc.). So basically, the power seemed ok, it just needed a new LCD and screen. So we took it to a local repair shop (we are just 3 months away from EOC) to get a new LCD/screen. Did that, went to pick up the phone - all good so far (except they said the proximity sensor wasn't working - which I did NOT have them fix, since it doesn't bother my wife if the screen stays lit during a call -- in fact, that was a positive).

At the store, when picking up the phone, I tested it to make/receive a call successfully, checked email, sent/received a text, and generally confirmed that the 4G data reception was good, and that it was searching for wifi access. All good. Speakers and microphone worked fine. And, the screen looked beautiful. I also wanted to test the camera, and that's when I noticed the battery power was too low to allow taking pictures -- it was at 4%. We never let our battery drain that low. I told the tech at the store, and he immediately connected a charger, and I saw the "charging battery" icon in my notification bar. While he took care of other customers, I waited about 15 minutes to let the phone charge a bit. Well, it was STILL at 4% after 15 minutes, which I thought was weird. At that point (and here's where I may have made a mistake), the tech asked me if I would feel more comfortable leaving the phone overnight and letting them charge it. As you might expect with someone who needs the phone, I declined, thinking that something simple as charging the phone could be accomplished without risk at home. So I signed the receipt, paid for the new LCD/Screen, and left the store. For good measure, in the car, I shut the phone off, but kept the USB charger hooked up, thinking I could get a few %'s charging while I drove home (15 minutes).

After getting home, I was dismayed to see that the battery level was showing 2% now. But, undaunted, I plugged it back into the charger at home (the original Samsung charger that came with the phone), and then tried to turn the phone on. It buzzed....but nothing came on the screen. I held the power key long enough to feel TWO buzzes, but nothing on the screen. At that point, my phone has joined all of your phones in its status - unable to power on. I can't tell if the battery is charging at all - I don't even see the battery icon on the main screen (although at the store, I saw that there was a sliver of green - matching the 2 or 3% it was at). And, like most of you, I get the red "charging" light SOMETIMES, but it seems like it only comes on now after I've lifted the battery out, then reinserted it, with the charger plugged in.

I need to know if the repair shop may have done something to cause this problem. I know they will say "your phone was working fine when you took it". However, it's too coincidental that everything would brick the very next time I tried to use the phone...and that the battery would HAPPEN to become fully discharged (assuming this has happened - I can't tell, I have no other S3 to test it with) the first time I tried to re-charge the phone after the repair. But then again, there's the dropping of the phone -- maybe THAT caused these problems? Supposedly, the repair shop (CPR) did a "25 point diagnostic test" to ensure that everything was working. So is my best course of action to go back to the store, or is it something else? Frankly, without the ability to see the screen (or to even know if the screen is now working), I cannot go the route of using Kies or booting into download mode, and working in that direction. Should I cut my losses and just get a new phone? (unfortunately, the only viable option would be a Galaxy S5, and I think we're done with Samsungs). What do you all think? Take it back to the shop to see what they say? From all indications, they did a good job of replacing the screen .. but then again, is it a good job if, in the process, they either messed up the charging mechanism or didn't make the connections with the board tight enough -- if in fact the screen not turning on is related to something like that.

HELP, please!! Much appreciated.

Marsh511

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Happy to report, the only 2 problems with my Galaxy S3 were (a) a completely dead battery, and (b) a charging port that will NOT charge the battery (tried charging another battery that was at 70% - it didn't budge, even though the 'lightning bolt' icon was there). Nothing else internal or software-related. I decided to let the shop keep the phone to try and REPAIR the charging port, instead of biting the bullet and using an external wall-charger ($6 on Amazon) for the duration of the contract period. I just hope the repair shop doesn't ruin anything, though I'm expecting being hit for another $100+. Seems there is never an easy/cheap repair path with phones!

Last edited by a moderator:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I decided to let the shop keep the phone to try and REPAIR the charging port, instead of biting the bullet and using an external wall-charger ($6 on Amazon) for the duration of the contract period.
Another option would be a wireless charging solution, although perhaps you don't want to make that investment for just a few months of remaining service.

Stacy Somers

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site

That is the same thing happening with mine. Did you ever find a solution? I am worried even if I go buy a new phone today, how can I get my pictures, text messages, etc??

Stacy Somers

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site

My phone had 71% battery and it turned off all of a sudden randomly. now i cant get it to turn on. It only loads the Samsung screen and the Galaxy S3 symbol.
What do I do???

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the forums!
My phone had 71% battery and it turned off all of a sudden randomly.
It's certainly possible that your battery died. How old is it?
If you turn the phone completely off and connect the charger does it seem to charge normally?
If you connect the charger and try to power it on does it boot normally?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy