My Galaxy S III won't turn on

fidahhakim

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: My Galaxy S3 won't turn on

My S3 fell down from my table and the screen went blank (black) , however the phone is still functioning . I can still touch and the buttons are working. What should i do ? HELP ME ASAP

Nami San

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I have tried a factory reset, a new battery, a new charger and still I cant turn it on. It has been in download mode for the past hour with the screen showing "downloading.. do not turn off target". So basically I dont think the download mode is going to work either.

Any other ideas that I should try before bringing it for servicing?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
It has been in download mode for the past hour with the screen showing "downloading.. do not turn off target". So basically I dont think the download mode is going to work either.
It'll sit in Download mode until the battery dies - the phone is waiting for you to download something to it, either using the Kies software (just Google it - look for v3 if your phone had the 4.3 update) or Odin. If you're not familiar with either of those then you may want to try Kies - it'll handle getting the correct firmware for your phone.

Here's a quick summary of what to do:
- if you don't already have the Kies software installed on your PC, download it (just search Google) and install it. The first time it runs it'll update itself to the latest version so make sure you run it once before proceeding.
- put your phone in Download mode: with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen
- connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable that came with the phone
-- if you've never had the phone connected to your Windows-based computer before, you'll see messages about installing drivers, etc - just wait until this is done (may take 5 or 10 minutes) [I don't know what happens if you have a Mac - it probably just works]
- in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
- the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)

Edit: if there's a Best Buy near you then take the phone in and ask them to reload it for you.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Prada Rossie

May 20, 2014
Visit site

My samgsung galaxy tab 3 turn off by itself yesterday it had 19% battery. I try turning it on and it didn't do anything at all not the logo not light nothing. I put it to charge and it looked like it was but then I try to turn it on again and it stopped showing the charging symbol it hasn't showed it ever since. I left it charging all night it never showed the charging symbol again I try to charge it with another charger and still nothing. I only bought it five months ago. help!!!! Please! :'(

CaptainGary

May 21, 2014
Visit site

I have the same issue,i have an s3 i9300 which worked PERFECTLY fine untill this morning when I woke up.
I checked my phone's battery after a long night chat ( 70% ) and during the first class I tried to unblock it and it didnt work.

I reached home and tried everything..Recovery mode..download mode..switching batteries and even chargers..yet nothing.
I don't even get the Samsung Galaxy S3 welcome screen,so not powering at all.

Please help. :(

tamersamak

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi GSDer
I read everything above but still hope to get my data back as it represents bits of my life
here's what happened
1- firmware upgrade notification, downloaded package, options were cancel , install and install all package(somthing like that)
2- unfortunately chose install all package and scheduled to start 5:20am
3- at 10:30am phone screen showing "starting apps"
4- after more than an hour still the same so i rebooted
5- stuck at samsung logo
6-removing battery and back in didn't help even for more than an hour
7- Recovery mode give strange behaviour, didn't find similar in this forum, it brings the green droid man with a counter (like installing somthing) reaches 27% exactly then this droid man flips on its back, red exclamation sign triangle on its belly and it dies-->phone reboots itself coming back to stuck at samsung logo

yes download mode is working but i really hope there is another option than flashing the mobile and loosing everything, my whole life history that was on the mobile

Kelvin Gonzales1

May 26, 2014
Visit site

hello i have the same problem with My Samsung Galaxy s3 international, CM11 rom installed, android 4.4.2 kitkat, loop compatible with my device, latest kernel version, rooted, supersu latest version installed, busy box pro installed, arm supported device...

This is how it started, after installing chainfire 3d driver, it reboots and stuck up on grey screen in the [/B]dark[/B] and black screen on daylight, and didn't ever open again
:'( It sucks :'(

i can access my recovery mode and download mode, but it doesn't turn on, it just stuck on black screen

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the forums!
after installing chainfire 3d driver, it reboots and stuck up on grey screen
I guess you didn't pay any attention to the statement in the Chainfire3D Description that it's not for Jelly Bean (and by implication not for KitKat either)?
Or that it hasn't been updated since 2011?

You'll need to reload your firmware and start from scratch.
And be careful what you load when you have root privileges...

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Jack Raifer

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site

Hi, I have an issue. Just changed to a new battery (the old one was close to dead). Changed the battery, tried to turn on my phone and it will not. It shows the battery charge, but does not come on either plugged in or unplugged. Tried recovery mode and download mode, and nothing. Still shows the battery charge when plugged in if I press the home button.

Any ideas?

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site

Yeah looks like you'll have to visit your local store, or repair shop. My friends phone did this, and like someone stated above. It was the "death syndrome". Good luck.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the forums!
So even when the battery icon is showing then phone is technically dead?
Is the battery graphic showing the current battery level? And charging activity?

How did you decide that the old battery was almost dead? Was the phone acting up?

Have you let the new battery charge overnight before attempting to turn the phone on? Is it doing ANYTHING (vibrating; audio; etc)?

Have you tried the old battery?

Leslie Hopkins

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site

this happened to me as well shortly after updating my phone and it sent me a message saying that I needed to enter ##72786# to complete the updates....my phone wouldn't access wifi at all until I did this and afterwards, it worked! Was so frustrating, but worked and no problem since... so I thought it worth posting this....Good luck!

Jimmy Chavez

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

i left my S3 in my car for a little while, the phone got hot (not from use but just from being in the car) and now it wont do anything i have tried all the reset stuff. is there a history of them having this issue?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the forums!
is there a history of them having this issue?
There have been other posts about the phone behaving oddly after sitting in a hot vehicle. It's generally not good for electronics to get overheated, particularly if device is turned on (it can't dissipate the heat and some component will get burned up).

If you took the phone apart and let it cool off and then put it back together and it won't show any signs of life you may want to see if you can borrow a battery from someone.

aLvindeBa

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

Hey everyone. I have huge problem with my Galaxy Nexus i9250 for few days now.
Let me start from beggining.
First it was showing charging symbol even if it ain't plugged in. Then it stopped after I cleaned charging port.
Few weeks back there were great floods in my region (Bosnia) and we were in lack of electricity so I started to charge it on a car charger and after it's completely charged (2h) as soon as I start to use it the battery goes off really fast, example, if I use it for let's say calls or even on "stand by" after 30mins the battery goes for like 40%. That's when problems started to begin. If it was turned off becuase of lack of battery I had to turn it on by pressing "Down volume + power" for first 2 times. Then I had to remove battery for few seconds then put it back not completely but I had to press the battery against those 4 pins which conduct electricity to a cell phone and press those two buttons for like 30 seconds to turn it on. Few days ago, I had same problem, but this time it wasnt empty on battery, it was in my pocked with almost 50% of battery when I took it and I saw it was off. Tried again that same proccedure, it turned on, showed recovery menu and it turned off. Ever since I can't turn it on, it charges, but it doesn't show charging indicator on my screen. When I put my battery in other phone it shows it's fully charged. I can't turn it on, my PC won't reconize it, let's say it's dead. I don't know what's happening, so I'm asking here if anyone knows what to do. Thanks to all.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Hello and welcome to the forums!
When I put my battery in other phone it shows it's fully charged.
What happens when you put the battery from the other phone in your phone?
Depending on how old your phone is, and how far you let the battery discharge before charging it, you may just need a new battery - that's certainly what it sounds like if the charge level is dropping rapidly over the span of a short amount of time.

aLvindeBa

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

Hello and welcome to the forums!What happens when you put the battery from the other phone in your phone?
Well I didn't had luck with finding same battery as that one to put inside my phone. So I didn't tried that method.
Hm, actually I was using it with almost non-stop on charger (not because I needed to), and during the floods we didn't had the electricity so I charged it with the car charger and I remember good enough that after that it started to act wierd. That's when it started to turn off and I had to turn it back on bringing it in recovery mode, if I had luck. Funny thing is that my PC doesn't finds it, it doesn't recognize it, it just wont turn on. So you think if I buy a new battery that it will work? What's other things you're thinking of now that may be the problem? Should I buy new motherboard or first try with battery? Thank you soo much for your reply.