My GT-I9300 is getting slower and slower!

diana1234

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I bought my first GT-I9300 just over a year ago I felt like a queen. The phone was the fastest phone I ever had (coming from nokia n82)!

But over time the phone has gotten more and more sluggish. It usually takes 4 seconds to get to the camera and around 20 seconds to browse and show a photo. There was never a definitive moment, but the phone just got slower and slower.

The usage of apps is in my opinion quite modest, with viber taking up most (49mb) memory followed by email taking up 41mb RAM. I do not consider myself a person with a lot of apps.

Would it help if I got a faster memory card? My current one gives 3mb/s write and 9mb/s read (default memory) or shall I try to use a custom ROM in order to free up some RAM by disabling many of the samsung/google bloatwares that I never use?

These are my "stats":
International GT-I9300
Android 4.1.2
10,36 out of 11,25 gb memory used
RAM: 640/832 mb

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I bought my first GT-I9300 just over a year ago I felt like a queen. The phone was the fastest phone I ever had (coming from nokia n82)!

But over time the phone has gotten more and more sluggish. It usually takes 4 seconds to get to the camera and around 20 seconds to browse and show a photo. There was never a definitive moment, but the phone just got slower and slower.

The usage of apps is in my opinion quite modest, with viber taking up most (49mb) memory followed by email taking up 41mb RAM. I do not consider myself a person with a lot of apps.

Would it help if I got a faster memory card? My current one gives 3mb/s write and 9mb/s read (default memory) or shall I try to use a custom ROM in order to free up some RAM by disabling many of the samsung/google bloatwares that I never use?

These are my "stats":
International GT-I9300
Android 4.1.2
RAM: 640/832 mb

Just like the home you have to spring clean your phone as well. If you got photos on it that are hardly looked at upload to the cloud and delete them off the phone. Same with apps you don't use delete them and if it's carrier bloat disable what you don't use if you can. Clear off any music you don't listen to frequently as well. Also truly exit out of apps when your done using them not just let them run in the background, open the google task manager and close them all. Same with downloaded books, forms, apps.

I can't tell you all the people I know that use an app once and then leave it on there phone. If you don't use the app uninstall it. That right there makes a world of difference most people don't realise.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd have to say that this is likely your problem - less than 1GB of internal memory left can have drastic performance implications.

Go to Settings -> Application manager -> ALL, then press the Menu button and select 'Sort by size' (the default is to sort alphabetically). The biggest offenders are at the top of the list. In some cases (Vine is a good example) the app itself may be rather small but it may cache a HUGE amount of information (apparently Vine will cache up to 9GB).

Some games (The Bard's Tale comes to mind) download large amounts of data when you first start them (I think The Bard's Tale used a minimum of 1.2GB, even more for higher resolution graphics resources).

I wouldn't bother worrying about bloatware - I did the math once on my Verizon version and it totaled up to about 750MB. The only thing I'd recommend there would be disabling any bloatware that you don't use (not all of it can be disabled unless you're rooted) just so it isn't using up RAM (I published a list in some thread about all the ones I disabled).

Edit: oh, and you could boot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache. That might help.

2nd Edit: And I wouldn't worry about your SD card speed unless you save lots of information there or stream media from there. YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

diana1234

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I read those and spent over 2 days reading about my phone.

I did a cleaning by freeing up some space on the device (which helped ALOT!) and now I ran cf-auto-root so I could remove additional bloatware. My phone feels like new now!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I read those and spent over 2 days reading about my phone.

I did a cleaning by freeing up some space on the device (which helped ALOT!) and now I ran cf-auto-root so I could remove additional bloatware. My phone feels like new now!

Thanks for posting the follow up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome