I have just purchased my first android phone, the Samsung Galaxy S3, and I am trying to figure out how to have only Gmail notifications happen for my incoming mail.

I have set Gmail as the default email app but somehow my mail comes through sometimes with a notification in the Samsung app and sometimes with Gmail.
    I have tried to find a similar post here but failed. All I want is to have Gmail notify me and then use the Gmail app.

There doesn't appear to be any consistency with which emails get notified by which app. It just looks like the luck of the draw.

Thanks
    11-15-2013 12:31 AM
    You can either tweak the settings of the stock app or go all the way and disable it follow this link http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...able-apps.html
    Personally I would say disable it as it will be faster. But a word of warning: DON'T DISABLE ANYTHING THAT YOU'RE NOT SURE WHAT IT IS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-15-2013 12:41 AM
    You must have set the same email account up in both apps. Assuming it's a gmail account, simply delete that account from the Samsung app. If, for some reason, you want to get your mail in both apps, then go into settings in one of the apps and turn off notifications.
    11-15-2013 05:16 PM
    Guys thanks very much.
    So many different places where notifications are set and I completely missed the fact I can remove the Gmail account from the Samsung app and turn off notifications from it's settings also.

Now hopefully I will just get notifications of email from one app and one place to look.

Thanks again.

EDIT:
    I may have spoken too soon. I can remove my account from the Samsung app so that only the Gmail app polls the account, but I cannot get it to give notifications either with an audible tone or even an icon on the topbar without setting an account in the Samsung app via settings. But, as sson as I do that then they both start giving the different notifications again.
    Very frustrating.

EDIT 2:
    I just found this posting.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...s-how-fix.html
    I will see what this does. Also found an app called Active Notifications, will try that as well.
    11-15-2013 07:52 PM