Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini HELP - ODIN & Storage Problem

kingchris1983

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm new to all this so if further info is required please let me know!

Basically I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-1890 smartphone that I bricked by using ODIN and flashing the Samsung Galaxy S3 firmware to it (***** I KNOW!) This resulted in the phone not working. I booted into download mode and flashed a Samsung Galaxy S3 Firmware through the PDA link in ODIN with no luck, the only thing that got the phone functioning again was flashing Samsung Galaxy S2 firmware to it.

Basically now I have a phone thats a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini and when you turn it on it boots up with the Samsung Galaxy S2 splash screen, boots into Android Jellybean fine and functions OK. The only big issue now is that when I go in to Settings -> Storage it says there is 4.54GB total memory and that there is 683MB free. This is an 8GB smartphone and I've deleted all apps from it / photos etc. and it is now showing 1GB free our of 4.54GB.

All I want is to get the phone to boot up with the correct Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini splash screen and show the true storage values of the phone (SHould be around 6GB free)

I've got ODIN installed and a factory reset doesn't work - it just bricks the phone and then I have to put the S2 firmware on to get it working.

I'm sure there is a much more educated genius like figure out there that knows the answer to this. Thanks in advance peeps!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
To get back to stock you can try using the Kies software on your PC. Here's an overview of what to do:
- if you don't already have the Kies software installed on your PC, download it (just search Google) and install it. The first time it runs it'll update itself to the latest version so make sure you run it once before proceeding.
- put your phone in Download mode: with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen
- connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable that came with the phone
-- if you've never had the phone connected to your Windows-based computer before, you'll see messages about installing drivers, etc - just wait until this is done (may take 5 or 10 minutes) [I don't know what happens if you have a Mac - it probably just works]
- in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
- the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

kingchris1983

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey thanks for that. The splash screen is now Samsung Galaxy i8190 which is fantastic! The only issue I have now is the storage is still showing as only 563MB and 4.54GB in total. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So that there's no misunderstanding, can you post a screenshot of your Settings -> Storage view? It should look something like this
yhyje2y8.jpg
I understand that the Mini only has 8GB total and some (much?) of that is used by the OS. Just need to see what the real numbers show.

How much RAM does the Mini have?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

coldtone26

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
To get back to stock you can try using the Kies software on your PC. Here's an overview of what to do:
- if you don't already have the Kies software installed on your PC, download it (just search Google) and install it. The first time it runs it'll update itself to the latest version so make sure you run it once before proceeding.
- put your phone in Download mode: with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen
- connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable that came with the phone
-- if you've never had the phone connected to your Windows-based computer before, you'll see messages about installing drivers, etc - just wait until this is done (may take 5 or 10 minutes) [I don't know what happens if you have a Mac - it probably just works]
- in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
- the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)

Hi, I tried your steps and was unsuccessful. Is there any other way? I did factory reset already. that didn't work. I'm also getting a message stating that GT-I8190 does not support initialization in KIES,

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I tried your steps and was unsuccessful.
Might help to know what your problem is...

What carrier/firmware?

Can you boot into Recovery mode? Have you cleared the system cache?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

coldtone26

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Might help to know what your problem is...

What carrier/firmware?

Can you boot into Recovery mode? Have you cleared the system cache?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

My problem is with the splash screen,. Its not showing. I'm seeing a very fuzzy screen similar to the Download screen. looks blurry like a scrambled tv screen.

I'm running the I8190BTUAMJ1 firmware.

Yes I can boot into recovery mode.

Last edited:

Ozzthemann

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi, did you resolve the problem?
I also got a scrambled startup screen, even repartitioned the thing, reloaded stock, a-z everything i could read up about.
Everything is working except cm does not root, it reboots during process and the the blurred scrambled startup.
One more that I found... when switched off and charging it brings up a grey screen with blocks instead of battery.
20151017_140600.jpg20151017_140954.jpg20151017_140950.jpg
20151017_142042[1].jpg