Samsung Galaxy S3 - Safe to Root remove stock Swype keyboard?

furnaps

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The stock Swype keyboard is driving me INSANE... I've installed Touchpal and Swiftkey and no matter if I set either of those to default keyboard next time I go to type Swype magically is the default keyboard and I hate it. Somehow Swype keeps getting magically set to be the default keyboard input no matter what I do.

I cant freeze Swype with titanium backup with getting the paid version but I can delete the app, I'm just worried since its a system app it might screw something up I've never deleted any of the system apps or bloatware on my phone since I rooted it this would be the first time.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

Yes you could handle it by rooting and deleting the app or using Titanium to freeze it. But, do you have the option from within Settings/Apps/Manage Apps/Swype to DISABLE it? Also while there check to make sure on Swype, lower down in the options make sure DEFAULTS are CLEARED on Swype.

furnaps

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Every time I set the Default setting to Touchpal X or Swiftkey and go to send a text message or something it might stay the default for that text message but next time I go to type something somehow my default setting has magically changed to Swype instead of Touchpal X or Swiftkey.

Also Swype is greyed out in the phones Keyboard and input options so i cannot Uncheck it.

EDIT: I never thought to check in the App Manager to disable it instead of the keyboard and input settings, It looks like in the app manager I can atleast disable it. Will see if that keeps it from working.

hughhyatt

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been having the same problem for the last couple of weeks. Using app mgr to disable Swype & Samsung keyboards had no effect. Freezing them in Titanium Backup prevented those keyboards from appearing, but after any period of time away from my phone, I still had to set the default keyboard to SwiftKey to get it to appear.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude