Daughter has iPhone 4 & complains that it was gimped by latest iOS update, wants more modern phone. Nexus is a non-starter because of no SD slot.

I want to get off contract with AT&T, so I don't want to buy a phone through the AT&T store.

So what are my options for getting an S3 that will work with AT&T's LTE service? Do I need an SGH-I747? Is there such a thing as an SGH-I747 without AT&T bloatware?

Sorry if this is a question that has been answered many times, but my search-fu failed to return relevant results.
    12-02-2013 10:56 AM
    Nexus is a non-starter because of no SD slot.
    Let's see - iPhone 4 didn't have an SD card slot (I'm just guessing - I've never owned one); iPhone 4 didn't have 32GB internal memory. How is it that your daughter MUST have a phone with an SD card slot? Does she REALLY need to store 16GB of music locally along with 300 apps?

Seriously, this is probably the best phone for the money right now, and along with getting the latest OS updates directly from Google it doesn't have any bloatware (other than Google's of course).

In partial answer to your questions, you won't find any carrier released phone that doesn't have bloatware. You can disable much of it; you can hide most of the rest so that you don't have to look at it; if you really can't live with any of it then you can root the phone and get rid of it (but do you really want to do that on your daughter's phone - there are other headaches associated with rooting a phone that someone else is going to be using).

The SGH-i747 (aka SCH-i747) is the correct phone for AT&T. BTW, it only has 16GB internal memory (about 11GB usable).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    12-02-2013 01:41 PM
    Seriously, this is probably the best phone for the money right now, and along with getting the latest OS updates directly from Google it doesn't have any bloatware (other than Google's of course).
    Not fully understanding this answer: are you referring to the Nexus?

Daughter has long complained bitterly about the storage limitations of the iPhone, and insists that SD card slot is essential. I actually understand this, and myself have a SGH-I747 rather than a Nexus 4, because the Nexus didn't have the SD slot. 32 Gb SD cards are dirt cheap, and we're talking about an S3 because I don't want to spring for an no-contract S4. Daughter is relatively undemanding, and I am inclined to honor requests like this.

Concur that I do not want to root her phone. Haven't even done that on mine.

With the SGH-I747, is there a possibility of getting LTE service from anyone other than AT&T? The goal is to get a decent-performing device that works with AT&T, but to eventually have the option of getting service from some other provider, one that I don't hate with the heat of a thousand suns.
    12-02-2013 03:55 PM
    Not fully understanding this answer: are you referring to the Nexus?
    Yes, I was referring to the Nexus 5.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    12-02-2013 10:20 PM