Battery Drain!!

barbow

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Have a new S3 with Android 4.3. Charged to 100% and noted that even with the turned off "POWER OFF" the battery drained to 38% in 8 hours, overnight. Tried it again the next night and the same thing happened and all items that could be turned off were OFF and, I shut the phone OFF completely. There[s no SD card installed and just the stock apps---I've had the phone for only 3 days. Any ideas please?
Could be a battery issue solely, or a SIM card issue or a phone hardware/software issue, or a combination of these. Will go back to agent and try a new battery first I guess. Thanks for any help/advice.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Charged to 100% and noted that even with the turned off "POWER OFF" the battery drained to 38% in 8 hours, overnight.
Welcome to Android Central :)
Not exactly sure what you meant by what I highlighted in bold but go to your settings and look at the battery stats. What shows up as using most of the battery?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I believe the battery is bad and needs to be replaced. That should fix the issue.

Welcome the forums :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
A cache clear in recovery may be needed as well. Depending on how long the device was in the box, several updates could have happened.

From a Sprint Moto X on AC forums app.

barbow

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
What I meant by 'Power Off' was that I actually shut the phone down, turned it off with a long press of the on/off button and selecting 'Power Off' on the screen, When checking the battery stats, etc the screen is the big user but it has been turned down substantially--using about 21%. But when the phone is 'Powered Off' none of this should matter---there should be no battery power loss or if there is, perhaps 1=2% over a 4-5 hour period.
I hope 'srkmagnus' is right about the battery---will hopefully get a new one next week. Thanks for the 'Welcome'.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
barbow,
FYI - anytime battery life questions arise there are three screenshots that you should provide from Settings -> Battery:
- the main Battery view
- the History details view (reached by pressing the graph at the top of the main Battery view)
- the screen Use details view (reached by pressing the Screen item in the main Battery view)
qyneba5a.jpg
e4yry6ub.jpg
ada6u3et.jpg
Additionally:
- you want to be sure your data set starts with the phone fully charged
- there should be no intermediate charge cycles
- the phone should discharge to around 30% or less

You can also use something like GSam Battery Monitor Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro (there's also a free version) to get a detailed view of your cellular signal
ujype7u8.jpg

And Wakelock Detector: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector will help to determine if there's some app(s) that are keeping your phone awake.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
What I meant by 'Power Off' was that I actually shut the phone down, turned it off with a long press of the on/off button and selecting 'Power Off' on the screen, When checking the battery stats, etc the screen is the big user but it has been turned down substantially--using about 21%. But when the phone is 'Powered Off' none of this should matter---there should be no battery power loss or if there is, perhaps 1=2% over a 4-5 hour period.
I hope 'srkmagnus' is right about the battery---will hopefully get a new one next week. Thanks for the 'Welcome'.

Oh OK. Then I agree, when it does happen you sometimes lose 1-2 % or even goes up to the same amount but it shouldn't be completely losing charge. Try what Golfdriver97 recommended, if that doesn't work then it's definitely a defective battery.

Posted via Android Central App

barbow

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice folks!!
Tried it again last night, charged to 100% then shut everything down, including a full 'Power Off' of the phone and guess what, this morning once again just after turning the phone on the power level was down to 40%--at least it's being consistent!! Something is making the battery drain even when the phone is completely shutdown---!!
Also, this morning, I charged the battery to 100% again and then removed it from the phone for 4 hours, re-installed it and the battery was still at 100% so something in the phone proper--hardware/software-- is causing the battery to drain abnormally although I will try a new /different battery when I get one next week.

For GSDer: Thanks for your suggestions but I'm brand new to the smartphone--had it for 4 days now--and I have no idea how to take screenshots let alone post them to this thread/forum. Can you point me to a tutorial or something that may help?

Thanks again, B

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice folks!!
Tried it again last night, charged to 100% then shut everything down, including a full 'Power Off' of the phone and guess what, this morning once again just after turning the phone on the power level was down to 40%--at least it's being consistent!! Something is making the battery drain even when the phone is completely shutdown---!!
Also, this morning, I charged the battery to 100% again and then removed it from the phone for 4 hours, re-installed it and the battery was still at 100% so something in the phone proper--hardware/software-- is causing the battery to drain abnormally although I will try a new /different battery when I get one next week.

For GSDer: Thanks for your suggestions but I'm brand new to the smartphone--had it for 4 days now--and I have no idea how to take screenshots let alone post them to this thread/forum. Can you point me to a tutorial or something that may help?

Thanks again, B

Screenshots are taken by pressing and holding the home and power buttons for a couple of seconds. You can upload them here by hitting the "Insert image" button right above the box for commenting :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea how to take screenshots let alone post them to this thread/forum. Can you point me to a tutorial or something that may help?
Don't know of a tutorial offhand although I'm sure a Google search will turn up some YouTube videos or links to articles.

To take a screenshot, press the Home and Power buttons simultaneously (briefly). You'll see a white border appear around the current screen and hear the camera shutter audio. It's a little timing dependent, so you may have to experiment a little.

If you have Settings -> Motion enabled, and 'Palm swipe to capture' within that category enabled, then you can swipe the edge of your hand (like a karate chop edge) from left to right across the width of the screen to capture a screenshot. That is also timing dependent, so you'll have to be patient until you get it just right.

I use Tapatalk: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkHD almost exclusively to view/post in the forums and it's easy to attach screenshots.

I'm not sure about the web browser - sorry.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If you just bought this, and can return it, I would take it back and exchange it. I can believe that even when the phone is "off" there might be some tiny current drain, but it shouldn't lose 60% overnight. Probably shouldn't lose that much even if powered on overnight. I think you have a defective device.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
If you just bought this, and can return it, I would take it back and exchange it. I can believe that even when the phone is "off" there might be some tiny current drain, but it shouldn't lose 60% overnight. Probably shouldn't lose that much even if powered on overnight. I think you have a defective device.

If it's not the battery then it is the phone but I think the former is more likely

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, my phone was at ~15% last night before I hit the sack, so I shut it off completely, and when I woke up this morning and turned it on it was still at ~15%. Expected behavior for sure, so the OP just has to obtain a different battery and we'll know for sure if the problem is the phone hardware or the battery.

barbow

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Hope to get a new battery tomorrow and you're right, should I experience the same problem then it's a hardware and/or software problem which will mean a new phone--hope to stick with a Galaxy S3. Can't recall if I mentioned it but I have Android 4.3--already loaded when I got the phone new the other day. I have friends with the same phone and update and they're not experiencing the same power drain problems. Oh hum!!

barbow

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
GSDer: Hello-looking at the examples of battery use screenshots in one of your replies, does the information reflect a pretty standard one day use of your phone--on mobile and wifi? It looks like you got almost 17 hours of use from 100% to 6% on this occasion---is this about average or am I misinterpreting the screenshot info?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
That was a GOOD day, but not unusual. I had a good cellular signal; was on Wi-Fi most of the day; screen brightness at minimum. I try not to let it drop below 20% out of general principle but was just busy that day.

I use:
Display brightness: http://market.android.com/details?id=rubberbigpepper.DisplayBrightnessPro to manually manage screen brightness

GSam Battery Monitor Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro to keep an eye on cellular signal quality

SystemPanel: http://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel.r1
and
Wakelock Detector: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector
to manage running apps

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
which will mean a new phone--hope to stick with a Galaxy S3
I'd jump on the Nexus 5 (if I wasn't on Verizon anyway) or the Moto X - those are some sweet phones, with a good OS update path.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20