Samsung Galaxy S3 Ghost data problem

scynz1

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'd been having some trouble with my SGS3 for a while. Well a lot, especially with charging and this ghost data problem where the storage doesn't add up to how much should actually be there.

I had been back and forth, mainly on this forum viewing all the different threads about it but today I finally rooted my phone and used Disk Usage to see where the problem lay, and it was with a huge log file which I managed to delete. You can do it that way, or you can do it the easier way, suggested on another forum which is:

"You don't have to root your phones to fix this problem. Just dial *#9900# on the phone and then select from menu - delete dumpstate/logcat. I tested this solution on my SGS2 and it works. "
Credit to damianoz here

Good luck, and I hope this helps a lot of people.

Cheers,
Liam.

P.S. Do many other people have an issue with the phone turning off (and requiring a battery pull) after you disconnect the charging cable when the battery is full? - I will have a search now as well.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nice tip, and I don't have an S3 but my a few friends do, and theirs DEFINITELY don't go berserk after they're done charging.

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
P.S. Do many other people have an issue with the phone turning off (and requiring a battery pull) after you disconnect the charging cable when the battery is full? - I will have a search now as well.

Never happened to me, and I don't recall seeing anyone else describing this.

nikhiels

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks that really helped me a lot!! Been trying to solve this issue, went from +-300mb available to 3.7gb... Really appreciate the tip! :) :D

Peadletipper

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi....

I've looked everywhere for a solution to lack of memory problems on my S3mini with out success. And then I saw your post *#9900# and thought yeah well this is just a phone number hey...

But it REALLY DOES WORK !!!!! Wow thank you so much !!!!

Pat38

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Is there a code for an LG Optimus? All this "data" is preventing this thing you call a phone from actually working like one! Thanks!

TimS5

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Had to register to say thanks to the poster who mentioned *#9900#

Worked on my S5, which didn't have enough space left for a system update. I'd tried ES file Explorer, moving apps to external SD and nothing worked; this did.

Thanks again

Borchai

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

After some investigations on my phone due to the same problem, I worked out what was going on. At least, on my S3mini.

1.- Go to Settings > Application manager
2.- Tap and drag to see all the applications installed. Sort them by size.
3.- Check the size of the biggest applications... and reckon if those sizes are consistent with the target of the application.

In my particular case, the "Contacts Storage" application had a size of 2.5GB!!!! So:

1.- I backed up my contacts exporting them to the SD card (.vfc file)
2.- I tapped on the application and I cleared the data stored (tap on "Clear data" option")
3.- I restored my contacts from the .vcf file

I hope it helps you out.

What I'm wondering is... how could a 6MB application reach a size of 2.5GB? What was stored in the file? I regreted I deleted it without checking it out previously...

Cheers!

Nelson khumalo

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

I'd been having some trouble with my SGS3 for a while. Well a lot, especially with charging and this ghost data problem where the storage doesn't add up to how much should actually be there.

I had been back and forth, mainly on this forum viewing all the different threads about it but today I finally rooted my phone and used Disk Usage to see where the problem lay, and it was with a huge log file which I managed to delete. You can do it that way, or you can do it the easier way, suggested on another forum which is:

"You don't have to root your phones to fix this problem. Just dial *#9900# on the phone and then select from menu - delete dumpstate/logcat. I tested this solution on my SGS2 and it works. "
Credit to damianoz here

Good luck, and I hope this helps a lot of people.

Cheers,
Liam.

Thanks Liam, you helped a lot you know. WOW! IMPRESSED!.

Ark Blaze

Mar 20, 2019
Visit site
Can you help me also, I need a code like that for Lenovo k4 note too

I have the Samee issue, my system data takes 7.something GB space out of 10.5

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's likely that the OS and various preinstalled bloatware apps on your phone take up those 7 GB, so no special code will help clear things out. I'm pretty sure the dumpstate/logcat deletion trick is only for certain Samsung phones.

Kellj

Jun 5, 2019
Visit site
"Just dial *#9900# on the phone and then select from menu - delete dumpstate/logcat. "

Tried this on my S4, and no menu appeared. Even hit the call button, and then only a voice from Verizon telling me that number is not valid. Should that menu appear immediately on the phone screen? On my device,"System memory" is 6.26GM of 16 GB total space, and it's not Misc files, which total only .01GB of that 6.26GB!

What I am doing wrong? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci