Please Help!!! need help getting out of verizon contract.

Sean E Barber

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I am currently with Verizon with my Galaxy SCH-I535. My bill has become way too high. I currently have the family plan because my father is on my plan. Here is my situation:

Originally I had an unlimited talk,text and data plan. I broke down and bought the G S3 after Verizon got rid of their unlimited data plans, so this cause me to have to renew my contract when I bought the galaxy in order to get the promotional pricing. HUGE mistake.... I am one year into my contract and started out with a $140 phone bill because I had to go with the 2g data package. I since then have gotten a new job which I am finding I use my data allot more for work. It involves driving to clients houses for which I use my gps on my phone and such. I am constantly checking my emails on it, etc. one month I went so over that 2gb usage i ended up with a $240 bill. Forget that... so I upped my data plan to 8 gb. well now I pay $188 a month. this is too much... all to avoid overage charges.

I was looking at other carriers, specifically straight talk as their unlimited talk,text and data plan for $45/month sounds appealing. I understand that once you go over 2gb of data though they throttle your data speeds. This doesn't bother me much as I only use it outside of wifi service for GPS and email. I am not trying to stream music or videos while I am driving or anything.

SO I crunched the numbers and found out that to get out of my Verizon contract i would pay $230 cancellation fee, but even after that and paying my last Verizon bill I would recoop those loses in 3 months by what i would be saving. Seems worth it to me. However, I am very unfamiliar with the process of switching carriers after getting out of my contract and keeping my same number.

In addition to these facts I wanted to be sure my phone was compatible with straight talk. I went to their website and entered my IMEI and it said it was compatible. but when I called straight talk to find out what steps it took she tried to validate my phone and used the same information and told me that my phone wouldn't work because it was Verizon. Is this true and if so What can I do? I do not want to be stuck with a $188 phone bill for another year.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
First, when you do switch, get your number and phone on the new carrier (Straight Talk) before you cancel Verizon.
Second, your phone might work, I'm not certain. I thought there was a Verizon "flavor" of ST, and also I hear their customer service is horrible, so your phone might work, I don't know. If it doesn't, you can get an unlocked phone for less than $400.

Good luck! Your troubles with Verizon sound like my troubles with the cable company. :-/

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2