Galaxy S3 - Very very strange battery problem!

babakk1

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So I recently dropped my phone and shattered the digitizer and lcd (yea pretty bad luck). I repaired the phone as I felt that was my best option since I still had a decent amount of time before I could upgrade. I regret fixing the phone over buying another used one now because I am having severe battery issues.

My phone does not accurately read the battery at all. It will charge to a maximum of 47%. It will then die within an hour. I can then take out the battery and put it back in and it may restart with another 40ish % battery and last another half hour to an hour. I can then repeat and it will go to like 30, then 15 then 0. Now when it is 0 I cannot even start the phone anymore. So I figured my battery was bad. I tried switching my then supposedly dead battery into my friend's S3. His phone read that my battery was at 66% !!! Not even close to being dead. I put his "good" battery into my phone which was at 70ish % and my phone read his battery as 5%.

I thought okay maybe its a calibration issue. I depleted my remaining battery using his phone and put it into my phone to charge overnight. When I awoke it said 100% ... sweet. BUT as soon as I unplugged it, it dropped to 47% and repeated as above. I also tried a battery calibration app but it can't work unless the phone is at 100 which it can't reach.

I am starting to think maybe it has something to do with my phone itself. I even factory resetted the phone and no luck. Maybe the motherboard. I am quite stumped and any help would be great. I am out $250 from repairing the phone, and this is killing me cause I could have just gotten another phone :S .

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So I recently dropped my phone and shattered the digitizer and lcd (yea pretty bad luck). I repaired the phone as I felt that was my best option since I still had a decent amount of time before I could upgrade. I regret fixing the phone over buying another used one now because I am having severe battery issues.

My phone does not accurately read the battery at all. It will charge to a maximum of 47%. It will then die within an hour. I can then take out the battery and put it back in and it may restart with another 40ish % battery and last another half hour to an hour. I can then repeat and it will go to like 30, then 15 then 0. Now when it is 0 I cannot even start the phone anymore. So I figured my battery was bad. I tried switching my then supposedly dead battery into my friend's S3. His phone read that my battery was at 66% !!! Not even close to being dead. I put his "good" battery into my phone which was at 70ish % and my phone read his battery as 5%.

I thought okay maybe its a calibration issue. I depleted my remaining battery using his phone and put it into my phone to charge overnight. When I awoke it said 100% ... sweet. BUT as soon as I unplugged it, it dropped to 47% and repeated as above. I also tried a battery calibration app but it can't work unless the phone is at 100 which it can't reach.

I am starting to think maybe it has something to do with my phone itself. I even factory resetted the phone and no luck. Maybe the motherboard. I am quite stumped and any help would be great. I am out $250 from repairing the phone, and this is killing me cause I could have just gotten another phone :S .
There certainly does seem to be another issue at fault here. First, try a factory reset and see if that fixes the problem. Do this from Settings > Security > Factory Reset. If not, then there's a hardware issue, not software, that's causing the problem. Could be a bad connection between the battery and hardware of the device. It would probably be hard to saw what the issue could be at this point.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Since you had the phone apart, it's possible that something didn't get connect back up properly. I'd take it apart again and make sure all the connectors, ribbon cables, and (especially) the micro-USB port are all connected properly. If that's not it, then I would agree something else got damaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax