Galaxy S3: Problems with apps, files, and the SD card.

Forester1

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I recently purchased an S3 (SPH-L710; version 4.3; baseband version L710VPUBMK5; kernel 3.0.31-2045665; build # JSS15J.L710VPUBMK50. This is a prepaid Boost Mobile device. I am confused by my S3's operation. I can create folders, but I can't write to them; apps that say they store files/data on the SD card can't because the OS seems to over-ride their permissions; preloaded apps that are optional, but cannot be uninstalled. These are only a few of the issues I am trying to solve. I have reset my device to the factory setting several times due to operator error, so I thought. If anyone knows of any tips, workarounds or solutions for these issues, I would appreciate them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I recently purchased an S3 (SPH-L710; version 4.3; baseband version L710VPUBMK5; kernel 3.0.31-2045665; build # JSS15J.L710VPUBMK50. This is a prepaid Boost Mobile device. I am confused by my S3's operation. I can create folders, but I can't write to them; apps that say they store files/data on the SD card can't because the OS seems to over-ride their permissions; preloaded apps that are optional, but cannot be uninstalled. These are only a few of the issues I am trying to solve. I have reset my device to the factory setting several times due to operator error, so I thought. If anyone knows of any tips, workarounds or solutions for these issues, I would appreciate them.

One thing to keep in mind, is the internal storage is an emulated SD card, and the permission may be referring to that.

The preloaded apps may be disabled, but unless you root, you can't uninstall them.

What else did you have questions about?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Forester1

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind, is the internal storage is an emulated SD card, and the permission may be referring to that.

The preloaded apps may be disabled, but unless you root, you can't uninstall them.

What else did you have questions about?

I'll buy that. Can the settings be changed for the internal storage? (2nd edit. still learning the posting process)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll buy that. Can the settings be changed for the internal storage? (2nd edit. still learning the posting process)

Not without gaining root access, and even then that involves changing permissions and core lines of code that I would feel uncomfortable changing.

Forester1

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Not without gaining root access, and even then that involves changing permissions and core lines of code that I would feel uncomfortable changing.

Ooookay. I will stay away from rooting until my warranty expires. I will continue to search for answers to other questions before asking on the forum, except this one: I have seen a number of references to SETTINGS>APPS/APPLICATIONS>... to install/make changes to certain applications. My Settings key does not have an option for applications/app. Is this settings reference/option for earlier android versions?

Thanks

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ooookay. I will stay away from rooting until my warranty expires. I will continue to search for answers to other questions before asking on the forum, except this one: I have seen a number of references to SETTINGS>APPS/APPLICATIONS>... to install/make changes to certain applications. My Settings key does not have an option for applications/app. Is this settings reference/option for earlier android versions?

Thanks

Can you take a screenshot of the settings menu?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry your request took so long. I had to learn the process and then determine how to upload the image.
Your application manager is the same as 'apps'. So when you see a path that has Settings>apps, you go yo Application Manager

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995