Galaxy S3 Boot loop and can't enter recovery mode because phone autoboot.

nazrin nazmee

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys, this is my first post here, and again its about the same problem as other user had. Boot loop on Galaxy S3, i did googled and read so many article and thread around regarding this problem. The first thing that I need to do is to enter the recovery mode am I right? To enter the recovery mode I need to Press and hold 'Home, Volume up and Power button'. So here's the problem, I did pull out my battery for few minutes, but then when I insert the battery back, the phone automatically boot by itself, the recovery mode instruction does not work. Why is this happening to my phone? I read other people's thread but when they insert their battery, the phone does not boot by itself, but mine, yes. one more thing is that it never reach the BLUE logo, just the white with the Model : GT-19300. Please help :(

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys, this is my first post here, and again its about the same problem as other user had. Boot loop on Galaxy S3, i did googled and read so many article and thread around regarding this problem. The first thing that I need to do is to enter the recovery mode am I right? To enter the recovery mode I need to Press and hold 'Home, Volume up and Power button'. So here's the problem, I did pull out my battery for few minutes, but then when I insert the battery back, the phone automatically boot by itself, the recovery mode instruction does not work. Why is this happening to my phone? I read other people's thread but when they insert their battery, the phone does not boot by itself, but mine, yes. one more thing is that it never reach the BLUE logo, just the white with the Model : GT-19300. Please help :(

Welcome to the forums.
Try pulling your battery for a little longer. Say 15 minutes, and try again.

nazrin nazmee

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. Anyway I did, more than that too. Few hours already, since afternoon at my place, and now midnight already. When I insert the battery, 1 second after that the Samsung Galaxy S3 White logo appear by itself and loop.

Last edited:

nazrin nazmee

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
Try pulling your battery for a little longer. Say 15 minutes, and try again.

Thank you for your reply. Anyway I did, more than that too. Few hours already, since afternoon at my place, and now midnight already. When I insert the battery, 1 second after that the Samsung Galaxy S3 White logo appear by itself and loop.

nazrin nazmee

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
If you can get someone to help you, try holding the buttons down while they insert the battery, and hope that works.

Unfortunately done that too, haha sorry for not telling it at the earlier post. But, I did that by my own, with no one help, just use my other finger. However, I will try it later with someone. Hopefully it works. Thanks!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Based on some other users that are having a similar problem, it sounds like the Power switch is defective and is always depressed. Or perhaps the plastic piece is jammed against the switch causing it to turn the phone on immediately (or maybe even a new case is pressing on it). This might be an option http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-power-button-repair/ or if you like fiddling with electronics you could DIY.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

tomskitomski

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I just started having this problem today! I can't seem to get it into recovery mode for the life of me. Once I had it flash on the screen for a second but then it rebooted again.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi I am having same problem how did you resolve it?
I just started having this problem today! I can't seem to get it into recovery mode for the life of me. Once I had it flash on the screen for a second but then it rebooted again.
Have you both tried pulling the battery and then reinserting it? If the phone turns on by itself when you put the battery in then it's almost certainly the Power switch on the mainboard or the plastic Power button (which is what we interact with).

If that's happening on your phone the first thing to check is the case (if present), to make sure it's not pressing on the Power button.
Next would be to take the phone apart and gently pry the plastic Power button off (there's two legs that hold it in - be careful not to snap them off).
Finally, the Power switch itself - it may just be gunked up, in which case you can try compressed air or electronic contact cleaner (be sure to remove the battery first!) and exercise the switch to get it working.
Otherwise you'll have to replace the switch.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

BplusA

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Do what I did ,
since the only mod you can enter is Download Mode ( Odin )
Flash a different recovery using Odin3 ( in my case I had Philz recovery and I flashed CWM recovery)
phone rebooted and went to recovery normally then to normal boot !

Timothy Chang

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
FIRST, I want to thank EVERYONE on this thread for their suggestions, because I finally got my phone working because of what you wrote. My phone started boot looping today and I had a w2 form from a former employer that was saved in my SMS. I had lost it once and had to get him to send me a digital copy and I was deathly afraid to ask him again for it. I pretty much spent the entire afternoon watching it boot load until i read this thread.

So. Some things from this that I'd like to share, in hopes that it might help some of you out there.

1. I might be wrong, but it seems there are different kinds of boot looping, one from a problem in the OS and one that is more physical/circuitry related. I've experienced the OS bootloop one before on a previous phone, but I knew this boot looping was really strange because the point of the load screen at which it would decide to shut down and loop at was different each time. After reading this thread, it being a problem with the power button made a lot of sense to me, so i started trying to figure out different ways to manipulate the start button when I booted the phone. (keeping it pressed down, pressed down with the other buttons. just a lot of gimmicky stuff).

What ended up working CONSISTENTLY for me was opening up the battery, and PRESSING/sliding THE BATTERY DOWN into the connection to make it stronger. Turns out, what was happening was that that there was a problem with the connection. When I was finally loaded into the OS, it would be fine for a while if i didn't hold the battery down, but the power menu would keep popping up like I was constantly pressing the power button down a little bit, and then releasing it. after 4-5 minutes of not pressing the battery down, it boot looped again. Keeping a tiny piece of plastic wedging the battery down has fixed everything so far.

2. I don't really understand why it was still booting on even for a little bit if there was connection problem, or why this weak connection tricked the phone into thinking the power button was being pressed, but my guess is that the weak connection causes a short or some sort of current change (my memory of the circuitry section of my physics class is really weak; probably something to do with electric switches??) and this current change mimics the circuitry of what happens when you press the power button down, therefore causing a more "physical" boot loop.

I don't think that this is the case with most boot loops, most being a problem with your cache or something more systems oriented, but if your boot loop symptoms are like mine and the original poster's, perhaps this information helps.

UPDATE:

If what I surmised was even close to reality, then this circuitry problem seems to be degenerative. I was able to get on for about 30 minutes and retrieve a bunch of files that I needed and email them to myself. After that it began boot loading again, and now it seems that nothing will keep it on.

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
After that it began boot loading again, and now it seems that nothing will keep it on.
It sounds to me like you have a (very common) problem with the Power switch on the mainboard. The easy way to determine if this is the case is to take the battery out and reinsert it - if the phone turns itself on (without you pressing the Power button) then the Power switch is causing your boot loop issues.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

tonythrash

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey there.
I'm encountering similar issues with my S3.

The phone was running a stock version, and crashed during an OTA firmware update. As a result, it was stuck in a "carrier logo" loop, until reaching the blue/white "SAMSUNG" logo, and then stuck forever.

I couldn't enter DOWNLOAD MODE, so I purchased a USB JIG.
When I plug it, the phone turns into DOWNLOAD MODE, so I could flash a stock ROM with Odin 3.09.

The problem I have, is that I cannot access the RECOVERY mode, since holding the 3 buttons altogether doesn't any difference, but refreshing the first "samsung i9300 whatever" white startup logo.

Is there any way to "skip" the standard recovery, or install everything from Odin?
like installing the NAND, and the ROM, or even a clean wipe from the PC?

How to check if that comes from a hardware issue (stuck button, whatsoever) ?
Thank you VERY much :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to "skip" the standard recovery, or install everything from Odin?
You can reinstall the firmware using Odin with the phone in Download mode.
Once you finish the flash you'll have the stock Recovery software installed again.

legendsend

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I am using cyanogenmod on my spring galaxy s3 and seem to have encountered the same problem. Whenever I boot it gets to the cyanogen load screen and stays there forever. I also had the power button problem and resolved it prior to this issue by prying the power button off and used a 3rd party app for my power button uses. The problem now though, is that I can't get into recovery mode at all and have no idea what to do to attempt to take my phone out of this boot problem. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol