Wifi works great, but sometimes connects to a neighbors wifi.

kmcdonald22

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy III mini and I have no problem connecting to wifi except one problem. I have two routers (an inner and outer network) and I have it setup to connect to the one that has the best signal strength. The inner router is in my living room and the outer is in the basement for my computer workshop. The problem I have is that it connects to one of my neighbors unsecure networks even though my outer network is just feet from me. This happens when I step outside most of the time even though I'm just feet away from my outer router. I would like to remove all scanned wifi networks except mine. Is that possible?
Thanks,

Ken

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy III mini and I have no problem connecting to wifi except one problem. I have two routers (an inner and outer network) and I have it setup to connect to the one that has the best signal strength. The inner router is in my living room and the outer is in the basement for my computer workshop. The problem I have is that it connects to one of my neighbors unsecure networks even though my outer network is just feet from me. This happens when I step outside most of the time even though I'm just feet away from my outer router. I would like to remove all scanned wifi networks except mine. Is that possible?
Thanks,

Ken

Welcome to the forums.
Look for your neighbor's router, and long press it. That should bring up a forget button. Click that.

kmcdonald22

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
Look for your neighbor's router, and long press it. That should bring up a forget button. Click that.

Thanks Golfdriver97,

The only network that had the option to forget was my neighbors unsecured network. All of the others only have the option to connect. I must have long pressed those and chose forget. I've been walking upstairs and downstairs to see if my phone will automatically switch from my routers and the upstairs router has one bar on the wifi indicator. I guess that's why it's not automatically connecting to my work router even though my work router is at full strength.

Thanks,

Ken

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Golfdriver97,

The only network that had the option to forget was my neighbors unsecured network. All of the others only have the option to connect. I must have long pressed those and chose forget. I've been walking upstairs and downstairs to see if my phone will automatically switch from my routers and the upstairs router has one bar on the wifi indicator. I guess that's why it's not automatically connecting to my work router even though my work router is at full strength.

Thanks,

Ken

Is everything working the way you want then?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm no expert, but why don't you (or do you and I'm just misunderstanding?) have one router setup as a repeater? That way there's only one SSID and you just benefit from the extended coverage provided by the second router.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

kmcdonald22

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
To automatically switch routers as you move about an area with multiple ones, try the app Best WiFi. At one of my customer's work sites they have 4 different WiFi routers spread about the space, and this app will switch connections automatically if the one you're on drops below a user-selectable signal strength.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.pintacdesign.bestwifi&token=xaiRnt_S

Hi meyerweb,

Thanks for your response. I added the BestWiFi URL to my favorites folder for future use.

Thanks,

Ken

kmcdonald22

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm no expert, but why don't you (or do you and I'm just misunderstanding?) have one router setup as a repeater? That way there's only one SSID and you just benefit from the extended coverage provided by the second router.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Hi GSDer,

The reason I have two routers is because I work on computers. I have inner and outer networks. A computer connected to the outer network can't see the computers on the inner network.

Ken