Dropped phone still working, besides black screen

Belinda W

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
The phone still rings when called, and my alarms still go off in the morning. I can mute them with the buttons on the side. It seems to be functional, except I can't use the blacked out touchscreen. It was dropped from a height of ~5 feet onto tile, with a protective cover on. Any possible fixes?

(I don't have insurance. T-Mobile said "We don't do screen replacements" and tried to sell me a new phone. My last one was stolen 1-1/2 months ago, though, so buying this phone was already a large expense. Any recommendations of things to try would be much appreciated.)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It is possible to buy screen assemblies and replace them yourself. Look on ebay. You'll see some people selling just the OLED display, but replacing it alone is very difficult. The display, touchscreen and glass are all glued together, so it's a lot easier to replace the complete assembly. Not easy, though. If you search Youtube for terms like Galaxy S3 screen replacement you'll see what's involved.

Alternately, there are cell phone repair shops that can replace the screen. Based on some posts I've seen, I think it'll cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 to $250 to have it repaired.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci