Power Switch no longer turns off Screen

stuka75

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy S3 on OS 4.3
The power switch no longer turns off the display. It will turn off briedly and then back on again, frequently bringin up the Devic Options box. Fortunately the timeout shuts screen off as before, but I cannot turn off screen with power button when many apps are open.
Any input would be appreciated.

Androidest

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S3 on OS 4.3
The power switch no longer turns off the display. It will turn off briedly and then back on again, frequently bringin up the Devic Options box. Fortunately the timeout shuts screen off as before, but I cannot turn off screen with power button when many apps are open.
Any input would be appreciated.

when many applications are running on your Samsung galaxy, a lot of memory is being used by the handset to run the applications. So when you try turning off the screen, your Samsung galaxy tries to integrate or communicate with installed app to turn off the display, but due to many application running it gets confused.If the button works without the many apps running, then try freeing some memory, if the power button completely doesn't turn off the display, then you could have your phone checked or you could download an app that turns the display off, something like gravity screen, awesome on/off or wake up screen.Try them and see which one works best for you.:)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It will turn off briedly and then back on again, frequently bringin up the Device Options box.
Sounds like a problem with the Power switch itself (which seems to be getting more common) or perhaps the little plastic piece which you press on is jammed.

You could try (carefully) prying the plastic piece off and blowing some compressed air around in that area (with the phone completely off and the battery removed, of course). Otherwise you may want to look at getting the Power switch replaced - if you're a DIYer, you can buy replacements for a couple of bucks on eBay; if you want it done for you one possibility is http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-power-button-repair/

Finally, if you're looking for a software alternative you could try Button Savior: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.smart.swkey

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Sounds just like the problem I have with my S3.

When you press the power button does it always make click or pop sound?

If it doesn't, I'd be willing to bet the circuit board the button presses against is bad or the spacers between the button and circuit board are out of alignment.

The button presses against two very small parts before it makes contact with the actual switch mounted on the circuit board. There's a yellowish tape covering these parts. On my S3 I found this tape had worn and allowed the smaller black part to shift on the larger silver disc part.

I found the same to be the problem of my volume up button.

While I await the proper parts to repair the issues, I've managed to use my wife's tweezers, scotch tape and very steady hands to provide a temporary repair.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay