Samsung galaxy s3 randomly freezes.

Ralph2449

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
So my S3 has been freezing randomly while in use and sometimes while idle(screen wouldnt open, it was black, i had to restart with the power button). The phone randomly freezes but has never crashed.
It has dropped a few times but i ve been using a pretty sturdy case so it hasnt appeared any issues, and the freezes didnt start anywhere near a drop incident.

I have not hacked/manipulated/cracked anything and i am completely new to this. In the beginning i thought it could be firefox but after a factory reset and without firefox it kept freezing randomly. There have been no other apps that were installed around the time the freezes started.

It usually freezes after sometime the device is open and has been used a little. It doesnt happen if you just leave it open and do nothing. My ram after i clean it is around 500mb with max being 831, could that be the issue since i can easily reach maximum ram after some downloads/videos etc.

It has 4.3 andriod and i think the freezes have been increased since i have updated it. The model is GT-I9300.

Is there any kind of diagnostic program that can be used to find the issue? Do you have any idea what the issue could be based on that description?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The GT-i9300 has a bad reputation due to some questionable memory modules that Samsung used, often leading to "sudden death syndrome". Samsung supposedly fixed it with an OS patch awhile back, but who knows - perhaps that is contributing to your freezes.

If you did the Factory Reset after the 4.3 update then there are only two things I can suggest, along with one recommendation:
1. Clear the system cache in Recovery mode
2. Reload the firmware

Recommendation: make frequent backups to the cloud or your computer so that if something happens you don't lose everything.

There are apps you can find in the Google Play Store that will let you test the screen or show you the sensor readings, but nothing like you're looking for.

And you should stop messing with the RAM - the OS is perfectly capable of managing the RAM.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

mac54321

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4.

I am getting freezes all the time, probably on use every 2-3 minutes, and all started with the Kit kat upgrade, it is making the phone so difficult and clunky to use.

I checked today for a firmware update but there is no updated one yet - there needs to be as it is so bad i want to change my phone!!!

SORT IT OUT SAMSUNG!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
all started with the Kit kat upgrade
Have you already performed a Factory Reset? If not, you should pursue that, along with wiping the system cache in Recovery mode.
Of course, sync your data with Google, and backup anything else important before doing so.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Ralph2449

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
The GT-i9300 has a bad reputation due to some questionable memory modules that Samsung used, often leading to "sudden death syndrome". Samsung supposedly fixed it with an OS patch awhile back, but who knows - perhaps that is contributing to your freezes.

If you did the Factory Reset after the 4.3 update then there are only two things I can suggest, along with one recommendation:
1. Clear the system cache in Recovery mode
2. Reload the firmware

Recommendation: make frequent backups to the cloud or your computer so that if something happens you don't lose everything.

There are apps you can find in the Google Play Store that will let you test the screen or show you the sensor readings, but nothing like you're looking for.

And you should stop messing with the RAM - the OS is perfectly capable of managing the RAM.

Ah thanks a lot for the info, actually i did my factory rest BEFORE the 4.3 update because it seemed to freeze multiple times when i tried to download that update after sometime so i did the factory reset and then updated it.
If that doesnt change anything i ll try what you suggested.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
actually i did my factory rest BEFORE the 4.3 update
It's a good idea to perform a Factory Reset AFTER the OTA; and to wipe the cache in Recovery mode as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon