Brand New Galaxy S3 Fully Charged But Wouldn't Turn On. Dead Battery! HELP!!!

Lisa-Marie

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I bought a new S3 from amazon not a seller. I fully charged it before switching it on. I didn't use it much at all, so it was still fully charged. I turned it off went to bed and in the morning tried turning it on again. It wouldn't turn on so i plugged the charger in and it started charging saying the battery was completely dead.

Could someone please tell me what this is all about? It's Brand New. Is it a faulty battery/phone?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Brand New S3 Fully Charged But Wouldn't Turn On. Dead Battery! HELP!!!

Welcome to Android Central :)
I'm betting it's more than likely just a bad battery. Charge it up again and see if it keeps doing that.
If it's a bad phone then you'd have to contact Amazon and ask for a replacement

Posted via Android Central App

Lisa-Marie

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Brand New S3 Fully Charged But Wouldn't Turn On. Dead Battery! HELP!!!

Thank you, i've fully charged the battery again. I will see how it goes and if it happens again will contact amazon.

Thanks again :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I turned it off went to bed
Do you mean that you pressed the Power button briefly to turn the screen off, or that you turned it off completely? If the former, it's possible that it ran the battery down overnight while you were asleep (even though it shouldn't have) and that's why it wouldn't turn on in the morning.

The only way to find out which case it is would be to keep track of the battery usage during the day while you're awake.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Lisa-Marie

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes i turned the phone off completely. I pressed the off button down then it said power off so i pressed that option.
Today the battery seems to be not as bad but not good either. It's 69% and i haven't used it. It must be a problem with the battery because i have the power saver option on aswell, so don't know what else t could be.

My blackberry battery is terrible but it's over 3 years old now and i have a lot of photos e.t.c on it. When it was brand new the performance was fantastic. I expected this to better but i was wrong!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes i turned the phone off completely. I pressed the off button down then it said power off so i pressed that option.
Today the battery seems to be not as bad but not good either. It's 69% and i haven't used it. It must be a problem with the battery because i have the power saver option on aswell, so don't know what else t could be.

My blackberry battery is terrible but it's over 3 years old now and i have a lot of photos e.t.c on it. When it was brand new the performance was fantastic. I expected this to better but i was wrong!

Could you post screenshots of your battery stats? Maybe we could help with the battery drain :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

Lisa-Marie

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Sorry i'm really dumb lol. I'm new to this Samsung. I have taken a screen shot, hopefully i've posted it correctly!

Could the fact that i've got an SD card with thousands of photos be the issue??? It also says Battery discharging. What does this mean?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 4

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry i'm really dumb lol. I'm new to this Samsung. I have taken a screen shot, hopefully i've posted it correctly!

Could the fact that i've got an SD card with thousands of photos be the issue??? It also says Battery discharging. What does this mean?

I don't think the SD card has any effect on it.
Battery discharging just means that it's not plugged in, so it's losing power
How much screen time was that?

Lisa-Marie

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the SD card has any effect on it.
Battery discharging just means that it's not plugged in, so it's losing power
How much screen time was that?

Sorry i don't understand lol. Do you mean how long did it take to get to that?

It's actually 15% now, telling me to charge it and i've done Sweet FA on it. Just looked through some pics. There's obviously something wrong. I just want to know if it's the battery, the phone or both.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry i don't understand lol. Do you mean how long did it take to get to that?

It's actually 15% now, telling me to charge it and i've done Sweet FA on it. Just looked through some pics. There's obviously something wrong. I just want to know if it's the battery, the phone or both.

No, I meant how long was the screen on since you last charged it
These are what I'm looking for

Attachments

• 1392002459317.jpg
    1392002459317.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1392002470511.jpg
    1392002470511.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 5

Lisa-Marie

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
No, I meant how long was the screen on since you last charged it
These are what I'm looking for

Oh i don't know. This is all too complicated for me. I don't even know how to find that screenshot you have. I think i'll just stick to my beloved blackberry because i want a phone that i can rely on and use it whenever i want to without having to turn everything off or charge every 2 hours lol.

Thanks for your help :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
This is all too complicated for me.
It's your call. With some patience and assistance I'm sure you can have a normally operating SGS3 (which may or may not be better than your BB; I can't speak to that topic), but you'll have to do some work and learn some things about the phone.

If you just want a device that works perhaps an iPhone is a better solution?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Lisa-Marie

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
It's your call. With some patience and assistance I'm sure you can have a normally operating SGS3 (which may or may not be better than your BB; I can't speak to that topic), but you'll have to do some work and learn some things about the phone.

If you just want a device that works perhaps an iPhone is a better solution?

Nooooo an iphone would be my very last choice. I hate the look of them. S3 is a lot nicer that's why i chose it. Really not sure what to do as i have no idea why it drains, i will call someone to see if they can help!

Thanks

Lisa-Marie

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I've spoken to amazon and tesco customer service (because i'm on tesco) and they both say the same thing thatbtbe phones constantly on searching for updates which drains the battery so i should turn off mobile data e.t.c. I've already turned off everything and the battery still rubbish. Like i've said before if i have to turn off everything then whats the point? I want a phone i can use all the time, whenever i want to use it. It takes longer to charge the phone to 100% than the phone lasts on which is a joke.

I'm incredibly disappointed. I thought it was going to be a lot different to this. It's sad that my 3 year old blackberry battery lasts longer than a brand new Samsung one even though my BB battery is on it's way out itself!

I'll be sticking to my old phone. I know everyone will disagree but BB still the King in my opinion!

Rant over! lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad