Constant annoyance with uploading and finding music on my Galaxy S3

iainhasaface

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I've had a Galaxy S3 running Android for around a year now, and I've found myself constantly tearing my hair out when trying to play music on it.

Firstly, it's a Galaxy S3, and I'm using a Macbook Pro (2013). All of my music is stored in the internal memory.

I've never been able to find the phone on my computer manually, before when I was using a PC it was easy enough to simply drag and drop the files I wanted using explorer. Not available with the Mac.

Firstly, before the 4.3 update. I used Kies, but even then it was a headache. Whenever I did a general upload of music, it would do so to a 'files' folder, which the music player could not recognise. Kies Air never worked either. How I managed it was to create a folder with all the songs I wanted to upload, go into Kies, click on the Sync tab, make sure that I choose the upload folder as 'Music', then select that folder I made and go for it. It was a bit labourous, but it worked. One thing I noted though, was that the phone wouldn't recognise the upload straight away. The files were there, and if you searched for them in your folders you could play them, but on any of the music players (Google Play, Music Player, WinAmp etc), they wouldn't come up in their menus, not for at least half a day, then out of nowhere there they were. Very strange.

Now with the 4.3 software update, I can't even get that. Trying to upload with Kies is a joke, it doesn't even seem to allow me to properly scroll through the music on the folder (stating the devise cannot be recognised). I thought it may be Kies that also needs to be updates, so I update it, only to find my original method of uploading though the sync tab has been lost, as the Kies team have decided to take that option away from me (now you can only sync up calendars and address books). The program, when clicking on my devise, just goes into an endless processing phase, with no outcome.

I've tried other options. Using Airdroid seemed promisining, but again to no avail. Managed to log into my phone, get into my music folder, delete some songs which I'm bored of, and uploaded a whole bunch of new ones. The infutiating thing is, it suceeded in deleting the old ones, and the new ones have been uploaded, but the music players won't see them!! Again, if I search for them, I can see them, they're in the correct music folder, but the music players will only find the ones that were already there, not the new uploads! It's enough to drive me mad! They're the exact same format in the exact same folder, why won't they recognise them???

I've looked into alternatives (MobileGo, which I'm weary of, don't fancy having to pay for it either, and other players, all of which only recognise the old songs I've had on there for a while) but nothing seems to work. If ANYONE has any help here, I'd much appreciate it, I'm really getting to the end of my patience here.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Try going to Settings, Apps, All and scroll to your music player app. When you find it, tap to select it and then clear cache and data. See if it will repopulate with the newer music.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Android doesn't always refresh the media index. Use something like "Rescan SD" to force it to rebuild. Hmm-if that doesn't work on the internal SD then search play store for others.

As for Kies. I use MyPhoneExplorer to sync and load files. WiFi File Transfer Pro is also good.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
There don't seem to be many apps that force a rescan of the internal memory; most of them deal with rescanning the SD card, which may not solve your problem.

Just curious - have you tried rebooting the phone? That should force a rescan of all media.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I like mrsmumbles's idea of clearing the music app's cache and data. That ought to force the rescan you're looking for.

iainhasaface

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Mrsmumbles - Thanks, but that didn't work. Tried clearing data and cache of every app to do with music, to no avail. Still only reading the old files.

JudH - Tried a variety of rescan apps, again sadly it didn't help to pick up anything. It's all on the internal memory so I don't know if that would do any good.

GSDer - I've tried rebooting a number of times, but nothing changes. Another rubbish thing about my phone currently is that the home button is unresponsive, so I can't do a hard reset either. But I'd hate to have to do a hard reset every time I want to upload some music...?

So far unresolved. This is so annoying. They're all in the same folder, I can even find them in files and play them individually! Why won't these players read them???

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. You can still probably play them by navigating to the folders and tapping a song, but the bigger problem seems to be that your power button doesn't work. You'll need it to reboot for many other problems than this... :-/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
the home button is unresponsive, so I can't do a hard reset either.
When you say the 'Home' button, are you referring to the middle button on the front of the phone? If so, I'm not sure what that has to do with being able to do a Factory Reset (I assume that's what you mean by a 'hard reset').

And yes, it would be ludicrous to have to do a Factory Reset just to get new media recognized.

How about moving your music to an SD card so that one of those "SD Rescan" apps will actually work? Even if it's just to test to see if that would solve your problem. (Then you could write a review of all of those rescan apps!)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

wms3

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I suggest the music player poweramp, which has a re scan function built in. We're getting music onto your phone get one of the wifi file explorer apps.

Posted via my Samsung Apple killer

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692