Galaxy S3: Anybody lose any ringtones after update?

tiarosi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I noticed a while back that some of my ringtones had been reassigned to people/groups and alarms. I thought it was just a fluke & didn't think much of it. After finally getting around to look, I noticed a couple are gone. The one I do remember and that I can't find is the loud telephone ring. This for sure happened after updating. I'm pretty ticked because this one I used for my early alarm. I figure I have to get it from the Play store, but that's not the point. Updates seem to just mess things up and this is another little issue that has come up after updating. Or maybe it's Samsung. I don't know, but I am seriously rethinking my decision to get another Samsung altogether. Has anyone experienced this issue, losing a ring tone just out of the blue after updating? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

wms3

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anybody lose any ringtones after update?

After the recent AT&T OTA update I lost every single custom ringtone and notification! The files were still on my phone, and I also have them backed up to my computer, but the assingments were gone. Took a while to gete everything back!

Posted via my Samsung Apple killer

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

If the ringtones came in the rom and were removed in the update that is going to happen.

If they are on ur sd card because they are user downloaded reasignments are normal in a rom update, either legit or custum.

You can root and copy the stock ringtones from the phone to the sd card ringtones directory to avoid such loss in the future. You will have duplicate entrys if u copy, if u cut and past u wont but u will haft to re assign them again.

Every time I flash a new jedi rom, all my ringtones go back to the default for the custum rom assignments.

If you root, I belive their is an xml settings file for these settings that can be backed up in titanium backup, however I am not sure as I always just use one ringtone and notify for everything I never worried about it.

Hope this information helps you understand why this happend.

Now: if your missing ringtones were user downloaded and are no gone that is realy odd unless the app you use to install ringtones puts them in the root of the device which I have never seen, shouldent have happend. I know things like zedge use the sd card to store ringtones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

wms3

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site

I did not realize that ringtone reassignment was necessary after an update. Just one more reason for me to hate forced updates. But thank you for the information!

Posted via my Samsung Apple killer

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

When a rom is flashed it replaces the old rom completely because of the changes in code accross many files. Including your changes to ringtones. The only way this would be avoidable is if they pulled the data from every device for ringrones and sent ever phone a unique update package.

The pain of re doing your ringtones is minor compaired to the pros of an update which include add features, security hole fixes and such.

But I agree forced updates are a pain, you shohld have the option.

That's one reason why I root and flash andy device I buy the moment I get it home the first day. I have compleate control over what happens. [Tho rooting and security do not go hand in hand, I have never had any security issue.]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

tiarosi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

Thank you for the reply. These were stock ringtones that came w/the phone that disappeared. My SD card crapped out 1-2 days after the update, which is weird b/c I had that card since my previous phones, over 2 yrs. Anyway, I did reassign some b/c I noticed some of them were changed from what & where I'd had them before. I only have 2 I've downloaded & those remain intact. I appreciate your help but I have no idea of going about rooting and/or flashing a phone. I have some idea of what the purpose is, but I leave it alone just to have a workable phone for my needs. I know there are pros & cons to updates, but usually I think there are more cons from what I've read & in my case. I've experienced more issues & quirks every time since updating. Maybe next phone I get I should just ignore updates altogether. I'll need to remember that & not pay attention to all the hype when a new update is released! LOL!

Thanks again. Rosa

K Clancy

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Hi. I noticed a while back that some of my ringtones had been reassigned to people/groups and alarms. I thought it was just a fluke & didn't think much of it. After finally getting around to look, I noticed a couple are gone. The one I do remember and that I can't find is the loud telephone ring. This for sure happened after updating. I'm pretty ticked because this one I used for my early alarm. I figure I have to get it from the Play store, but that's not the point. Updates seem to just mess things up and this is another little issue that has come up after updating. Or maybe it's Samsung. I don't know, but I am seriously rethinking my decision to get another Samsung altogether. Has anyone experienced this issue, losing a ring tone just out of the blue after updating? Thank you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173