resetting a rooted and upgraded s3

jossify

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I have bought a second hand galaxy s3 that has been rooted and upgraded. I would like to reset it so thatIit is no longer rooted.
What is the best way to go about this?
Do I do it with my sim in?
And is there anything else security related I shoukd do to make sure I get a clean device?
Thnx

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Probably the most straightforward thing to try would be to use the Kies software on your PC to reload the stock firmware. Here's an overview of what to do:
- if you don't already have the Kies software installed on your PC, download it (just search Google) and install it. The first time it runs it'll update itself to the latest version so make sure you run it once before proceeding.
- put your phone in Download mode: with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen
- connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable that came with the phone
-- if you've never had the phone connected to your Windows-based computer before, you'll see messages about installing drivers, etc - just wait until this is done (may take 5 or 10 minutes) [I don't know what happens if you have a Mac - it probably just works]
- in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu "Firmware update and initialisation" and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
- the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)

Edit: if the phone is running some version of 4.3 be sure to search for "Kies v3". If this doesn't work for some reason you can use a tool called Odin to reload the stock firmware - you can look on http://samsung-updates.com/latest-firmware/ and select your device in the upper left and it'll show you the current firmware.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE