Samsung Galay S3 charging problem - Samsung won't fix - says its a BER

Chrissy Sommer

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. It is approx 11 months old. I have had charging troubles for months and finally the phone stopped charging all together. The only way to get it to charge was to hold the connector at a certain slightly tilted angle so phone would charge. It won't charge with any charger. Obviously there was a connector problem.

I returned to Samsung to get it fixed.. I was told it was under warranty and I would have to return it to Texas which I did and my Service Ticket Number is 4123452102. I was told it was Fixed.... (Email from Samsung said - We have checked the repair status of your phone and see that the unit has left the technician with replaced component on 3/6/2014 at 8:40 AM. You will receive your device within 2 business days. Your concern is of the utmost importance to us. Your satisfaction is what we strive for. )

Upon getting phone back I discovered it was not fixed and that the tech said it was a BER. Apparently they are refusing to fix this phone and have declared it my fault. This phone has NEVER been Dropped. It was Never Exposed to Water, Never been Abused, Never been tampered with or attempted to be repaired. It has been in a Military protection case since the moment I got the phone. I am a State Rep in Missouri so my job is not dusty and is not a abusive environment. It is also my job to know when people are taking advantage of their customers and I see this as a prime example of this.

I am also researching and it appears that Samsung declaring a BER seems common and there is a problem with this phone in relation to the USB charging. Here are some examples: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...s3-samsung-says-beyond-economical-repair.html
Top 135 Complaints and Reviews about Samsung Cell Phones
http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Samsu...ng-tech-but-will-not-honor-warranty-b-1084348
Samsung Galaxy S III Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
And I could go on and on about these postings. I also spoke with several individuals in our building and they too have experienced USB charger problems with the Galaxy S3.

I would do a sworn affidavit that I have not misused, abused, or attempted to repair the phone in any way.

I have started the process with the BBB, and will also be contacting my own Attorney General, consumer affairs, and will research who else to know about this situation.

I may only be one customer in your millions of other customers but you are selling phones that have a fault and there needs to be a recall. The one year warranty with Samsung is useless especially since Sprint or Samsung will not stand by the products they sell.

This is so frustrating and I am open to suggestions to get this solved.:(

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. It is approx 11 months old. I have had charging troubles for months and finally the phone stopped charging all together. The only way to get it to charge was to hold the connector at a certain slightly tilted angle so phone would charge. It won't charge with any charger. Obviously there was a connector problem.

I returned to Samsung to get it fixed.. I was told it was under warranty and I would have to return it to Texas which I did and my Service Ticket Number is 4123452102. I was told it was Fixed.... (Email from Samsung said - We have checked the repair status of your phone and see that the unit has left the technician with replaced component on 3/6/2014 at 8:40 AM. You will receive your device within 2 business days. Your concern is of the utmost importance to us. Your satisfaction is what we strive for. )

Upon getting phone back I discovered it was not fixed and that the tech said it was a BER. Apparently they are refusing to fix this phone and have declared it my fault. This phone has NEVER been Dropped. It was Never Exposed to Water, Never been Abused, Never been tampered with or attempted to be repaired. It has been in a Military protection case since the moment I got the phone. I am a State Rep in Missouri so my job is not dusty and is not a abusive environment. It is also my job to know when people are taking advantage of their customers and I see this as a prime example of this.

I am also researching and it appears that Samsung declaring a BER seems common and there is a problem with this phone in relation to the USB charging. Here are some examples: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...s3-samsung-says-beyond-economical-repair.html
Top 135 Complaints and Reviews about Samsung Cell Phones
Ripoff Report | Samsung Complaint Review Plano, Texas: 1084348
Samsung Galaxy S3 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
And I could go on and on about these postings. I also spoke with several individuals in our building and they too have experienced USB charger problems with the Galaxy S3.

I would do a sworn affidavit that I have not misused, abused, or attempted to repair the phone in any way.

I have started the process with the BBB, and will also be contacting my own Attorney General, consumer affairs, and will research who else to know about this situation.

I may only be one customer in your millions of other customers but you are selling phones that have a fault and there needs to be a recall. The one year warranty with Samsung is useless especially since Sprint or Samsung will not stand by the products they sell.

This is so frustrating and I am open to suggestions to get this solved.:(

Welcome to the forums. I am inclined to agree that as long as they are making new units, there is no reason this should be a Beyond Economical Repair. To me, that just seems ludicrous.
Let us know how everything goes.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You're not the first to have a connector repair denied by Samsung. Their response to warranty repairs, as reported here and in other forums, makes me think I won't be buying another Samsung phone.

i don't think there's anything you can do to get Samsung's attention, but complaining on their Facebook page and on Twitter (if you use it) can't hurt. Your other options are to buy a couple of extra batteries and external charger (lots of options on ebay and Amazon), and swap out batteries when necessary, or to buy a wireless charging back and charger. You can probably find those at the same locations.

The wireless charger is a lot more convenient, but also a lot more expensive.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Class action lawsuit comes to mind... Based on all of the other people on the forums that have had this problem (both the problem with the charging port and with BER evaluation) you shouldn't have a problem getting additional signatures.

Or you can go the routes mentioned above, or write Samsung off for future purchases and try something like http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-usb-port-repair/

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Caleb Kruse

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Here's what you do: Make sure you have some time. Basically, stay on the phone with one person. Don't let them transfer you around from department to department. Wear them out with kindness. Basically, you're hoping they'll budge. You're hoping they'll find it easier to just give you what they owe you, rather than to stay on the phone with you. You prove to them you're smart. You're not giving up. They'll eventually see, if enough people do this, they're wasting far more on customer service phone calls than they're making back by denying repairs. Follow a script like the following.

First, get the name of the representative you're speaking with. Establish accountability.

Ask them if they can be who you speak to in future regards of the conversation. (otherwise they'll transfer you all over the place)

Ask them which department they're in. Which location. Joke around. Talk about the weather. Establish good rapport and be respectful to them. Don't raise your voice or get angry. If you do, it will only hurt your chances.

Say; Have there ever been exceptions made by the technicians to reevaluate a phone that has been declared BER? If so, what exceptions have been made in the past? If not, Would they ever consider making any?

Could there be instances when a phone appears to have been physically damaged even when it actually wasn't? How does your warranty account for such instances?

If necessary, tell them which service ticket ID it is regarding. Continue asking questions. Say:

I've read about other people experiencing this same issue. I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. I know you must deal with a lot of angry people. And people who aren't being honest. So, I understand your pain. But unfortunately, it's an inconvenience to me because those dishonest customers have made a bad name for all customers, even though I'm not like them. I'm not angry, nor am I dishonest. So, if possible, please try to see that I'm not your average upset person. Rather, someone with the unfortunate circumstance of having a phone that has unexplainably stopped working.

If it's beyond economical repair, would Samsung be able to replace my phone?

Being that this has been a common complaint among Samsung customers, and being that I haven't physically abused my phone, is there any way we could meet in the middle? Perhaps you could trade my phone in for a refurbished phone?

Being that there appears to be some doubt from your technicians about the validity of my complaint, perhaps you could offer me a less expensive phone in place of my phone. Perhaps Samsung might be willing to offer me a replacement phone of an older version. Anything would be better than having nothing. Perhaps an S2 or a phone of lesser value?

Perhaps Samsung might agree to pay for some of the repair, being that it's your warranty that is partially at fault?

Are there any other ways that Samsung will meet in the middle for its unsatisfied customers? Perhaps a special offer or a discount in the future?

Would Samsung be willing to consider creating some type of offer for its customers who are dealing with this same problem, being that there are many of us, representing a large portion of potential future business for your company? Perhaps not a repair, but something else as a gesture of good faith on your end that you at least hear our concerns and are willing to give us some benefit of the doubt? By that I mean, could you perhaps offer us some type of points that can be used towards other Samsung products?

Keep offering them alternatives that are more difficult than actually repairing the phone.

Maybe if you can't help me here today, you can personally be my advocate with whichever department within your organization that can be of help?

Ask your rep: Who can you talk to personally to see that this issue is being addressed? Can you talk to the repair technicians personally?

Can you please bring this matter to your supervisor? I would appreciate knowing that the customer's concerns are being taken seriously.

Would it be possible to have 3-way call? Maybe a conference call with whom it may concern? If you yourself feel powerless to help me in this matter, isn't that a valid concern of yours? Perhaps you can bring that to your supervisor's attention? (Again, be patient and professional).

Say; I've talked with a lot of angry people about this. Many who unfortunately won't be buying Samsung products again. I know you care about your business. And for your company's sake, it's important to know which customers concerns are legitimate and which aren't. I know many of us feel we have legitimate concerns, and we aren't being heard. And, it's not an isolated incident. Rather, a common problem. One that might suggest a recall could be fought for by consumers if enough of them were to unite in pursuit of it. I know some who have gained interest in class action suits, who would be glad to have me on their side. Also, those who are trying to build interest in bringing this matter more attention publicly, as well as to the Better Business Bureau. But I don't believe in taking legal actions right away. I much prefer to try handling issues a simpler way, which is what I'm hoping to do now. I trust that the company will be reasonable once it has heard my concerns. Good reputable businesses usually care about their customers' complaints, and a large business like yours depend on a good reputation to stay in business. So, I'd like to know that in your organization, my matter is being heard. By you, but also by whoever it may concern. I would like to stay in dealing with you about this matter, as I also continue to deal with whoever else in the company I can speak to regarding this concern. You and I will be in close correspondence about the matter. My concern (as well as many of ours), is that we feel there is an error in the warranty, voiding Samsung's obligation to repair items that they should be obligated to fix. Depending on how you choose to address this concern of ours, could do your company either a great service or a disservice. I personally would like to be able to say our talk today went well, and that Samsung is a reasonable company. I would like to be able to say to other potential customers of yours that there is hope when dealing with your company regarding these discrepancies. I want to believe that the rumors I've heard are false, and I want to know I can stop them from spreading further, but before I can do so with good conscience, I need to know your company is a reasonable company. If you can convince me of that today, I'm sure I can convince others the same. I just need your help to do that.

If it would be of help in your convincing, I'd be willing to sign a legal affidavit stating that I haven't abused the phone in any way. No physical abuse or exposure to extreme temperatures. No water damage, etc.

I paid for a phone. It stopped working. I trusted that your warranty was valid. I still do. I believe my phone is an exception. It somehow slipped through the cracks of your system. That's ok. Accidents happen. Now, the next step is fixing the issue. What is Samsung willing to do to in situations like this to uphold its reputation?

I'd like the technicians to show me evidence that the phone was abused. Do they have pictures? If not, I'd like to see pictures. I'd be willing to send my phone back in so that they can reevaluate it and take pictures.

Can I find out which technicians are responsible for determining whether a phone is BER?

Could I request to have an investigation done on that technician's department, being that there are many of us who feel they aren't doing their jobs sufficiently?

How does a technician confirm physical abuse? (who would be able to tell me? Can you contact that person for me?)

Can you explain the warranty to me? I'd like to know where in the warranty it voids my phone's repair, and how it determines whether a phone is beyond economically repairable.

Which location declined my request to have the phone repaired? (who would be able to tell me? Can you contact that person for me?)

If you can't personally get my phone to be repaired, can you please have our current conversation submitted to your quality assurance department for evaluation? (If not, who would be able to do that? Can you contact that person for me?)

Also, if you can't help me today, could you find out who can?

Is there a reference number for our conversation today? Can I have it please? Who can I speak with in order to review your job performance in assisting me today?

Reestablish accountability. By now, you've been on the phone with them, whittling down their defensiveness for an hour or so. Hopefully, they've decided to budge. If not, keep going. Don't let it be easy for them to get away with this.

The end.

Paul Pattra

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
No you're not the only one. I thought I was. I've been very loyal to Samsung from the S1 right through to the S3. I had no problem with the S1 with charging, only with internet connectivity. I figured I'd upgrade when the S3 came out only to have issues with the charge port after 12 months. Like you I have never dropped or attempted to fix it myself, even though I worked for an authorised repair centre.

I like the Samsung's functionality as I'm not a fan of the iPhone as it's a sealed unit and all of the issues with iOS 7 upgrade. I'm considering the Note 3 or 4, but am scared that the same issue will arise.

Maybe a Windows Phone???

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Maybe a Windows Phone?
Maybe a different manufacturer of Android phones? The Moto X is dirt cheap these days, and still a great phone, especially for the money. The HTC M8 is nicely built. And if I had money to throw around I'd be looking at the LG G3.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Jen Sinclair

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
i am soooooooo unbelievably thrilled to know that i am not the only person in this world who cares about quality customer service and customer relations!!! :) and even though it only makes matters more inconvenient and frustrating, its good to know im not the only one having the same problem.

thank you for being so informative about your personal progress and including a few "going further" options as well.
for someone who feels technology lingo reads almost just like doctor lingo reads (full of jargon and/or vocabulary that is incomprehensible and highly complex), having someone provide realistic steps for me to take from here was extremely helpful.

thanks so much!

Daisy59

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with charging my phone. Tried a few different chargers with the same problem. Tried my daughter's htc charger and this worked. Unfortunately it broke recently so ordered a new htc cable off ebay and so far it's working. Can't explain it but it has worked for me

jennifer

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
i'm on my third s3 because of the same charging issue and i have babied them all (no cracked screens or drops on hard surfaces or in water ever). my insurance has replaced them all so i don't have issues with costs but it's definitely been frustrating. oddly enough, the only charger that worked on it when it was first having issues was an old htc one as well. now that i have a new replacement, i expect it to go out again within a year but i'm way overdue for an upgrade so i'm hoping to change to a new phone anyway this year. i still love the phone (as ancient as it is) but it's getting a little old having to set up everything the way i keep it every single time its replaced. sorry i have no real solutions but hopefully you can get your particular issue resolved soon. i just wanted to say you're definitely not the only one with this problem.

John Panicker

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello all
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and had the exact same issue and I had gone through the exact same experience. I just checked in the web to find the solution of the issue and found out this thread. My phone is under warranty and still looks like new. But when I sent the phone to Samsung authorised repair locally they told they can't fix it and I directly sent to the Samsung repair over mail and they told exactly the same thing and told that it is BER(Beyond Economic Repair) and returned it unfixed. They told me that they may have to change the motherboard to fix it and may cost as buying a new phone. It is really frustrating.

Regards
John

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's beyond economical repair to them

I see repair services advertising overnight repair for $25 including shipping.
USB Charge Port Repair Service for Samsung Galaxy SIII S3 Super Fast | eBay
If they have done it 211 times and have a 99,5% approval rating I would think they are adept at replacing/reflowing the micro usb port on these phones.

Not a customer nor do I have any business with them,
Just providing another option.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It is really frustrating.
It's really frustrating that 'Warranty' means 'if we feel like honoring it' - class action lawsuit is the only way to deal with this b/s.

I'm glad the EU put the screws to them and forced them to provide a two year warranty; now if they could just force them to honor it.

Jen Duncil

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I have this exact same issue and it's happened now on my second Galaxy S3. I know there has to be some kind of defect. I went to my local boost store and they said there have been issues and I need to contact Samsung for a replacement or repair. Ughg just haven't taken the time to do so and now I am discouraged by the below. Very frustrating indeed!

Barky3h

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I was plagued with the S3 charging problem like so many others for months. I tried other chargers and cables without success. I bought a Galaxy Tab 3, and tried charging my phone with its charger. It charged up normally, so I continue to use that charger for both devices. If this works for anyone else, maybe it'll help point to a clue as to what's causing the problem for so many.

stretchlimo48

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I've had my galaxy s3 for 2 months and I have this same problem. Sent phone in to Samsung and they won't fix it. Said I abuse the phone which is ridiculous, the phone is in the same condition it was when it came out the box. Something need to be done Samsung should not be able to get away with this. I don't have money to throw away on a new phone that don't work properly.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Said I abuse the phone
You need to ask them to provide proof (a written technical evaluation) that the phone has been abused. Then contact the Better Business Bureau, the FCC and the Attorney General in your state.

It's unfortunate that someone with the $$$ or legal experience hasn't filed a class action lawsuit about this kind of B/S.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
This is exactly why I told Diane Helen in another thread not to bother waiting another week to root because of her concern invalidating warranty.
Samsung doesn't want to honor it anyhow.

The whole usb Portis sue on these phones is a prime example of of what a class action should be.
(Said from his Qi enabled phone. In an effort to save the port from charger abuse)

Matt DeMichiel

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problems my dad said to replace the battery when that didn't work I take it in and best buy said they had on cue and that i didn't have warenty so best bet get new phone it sucks but I would go to apple my s3 does the same problem:':)'

bkalalian

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I lifted this part from another thread because it matches my experience too..."I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and had the exact same issue and I had gone through the exact same experience. I just checked in the web to find the solution of the issue and found out this thread." My phone has never been anywhere near moisture but they claim to have sent me photos of corrosion around the power port (they never sent the photos). Regardless, we have all had problems with the S3 power port because it is a MANUFACTURING DEFECT which needs to be covered by Samsung. They are trying to charge me $300 for the refurbished S3 that they sent me as a replacement in September 2015. The S3 is over three years old. They couldn't give away an S3. I would like to be part of a class action lawsuit!!!!!!! Meanwhile I will be contacting the BBB and my state Attorney General (as suggested in another thread). Samsung is total BS. I will never buy anything from them ever again and I recommend that no one else does. Thanks.