Galaxy S3: Wi-Fi Button Greyed Out

vmir21

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
So, I started experiencing issues with my Samsung S3 last week (was repeatedly turning off on me out of the blue). I brought it to a certified repair shop and they told me it was the power button - which they fixed. While that problem is no longer present, I seem to have a new one: my wi-fi is no longer working, and the button for it is greyed out every time I try and switch it over. I've flipped through a couple forums and tried pulling the battery out, doing a factory reset etc, but nothing seems to be working. Is there a chance the guys' at this shop messed it up while they were fixing the power button? (I'm completely unaware of the schematics in S3 hardware).

Last edited by a moderator:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: S3 Wi-Fi Button Greyed Out

Is there a chance the guys' at this shop messed it up while they were fixing the power button?
Welcome to the forums!

It's possible - did this problem start right after you brought it home? Perhaps they didn't reconnect the antennas properly. You certainly wouldn't be out of line to call/visit them and describe the problem and when it started.

Did they have to reload the firmware by any chance?

Edit: What about when you try to use the Wi-Fi toggle from the Notification bar?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

vmir21

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

Thanks!

Yes, this problem started as soon as I brought it home from the tech shop. I also noticed the power button is not working as consistently as it should be, either, so I will definitely be bringing it back there. I actually performed a factory reset once I brought it home from the shop (seemed to be one of the "things to do" according to many forums I read), but that did not work. I'll bring it back and have them check out the antennas - do you happen to have an accurate diagram of the S3's hardware? I searched for one but they all seem to differ drastically.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

do you happen to have an accurate diagram of the S3's hardware? I searched for one but they all seem to differ drastically.
I do not. There are two major versions of the hardware - the US models and the International model, but it's pretty rare to find schematics for these things - the best you can hope for are the teardowns that sites like iFixit publish, and perhaps block diagrams of the component layout or some technical analysis by sites like AnandTech. Sorry.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech