Qi wireless charging wont work!!! Help!! s3

Monzaandroid

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
So recently my charging port on my galaxy s3 broke, It wont charge my phone. i've tried many different cords and non seem to work. So my solution was to order a Qi wireless charger. (Amazon.com: Lerway Wireless Qi Power Charger Pad for Lumia920 HTC 8X S4 S3 Note II (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories) The device came with a receiver and a charger. I tried charging my phone and it will not work. im not sure if it has to do with my battery being so drained it wont even boot up or what. I just thought this was a good alternative instead of tearing my phone apart and putting a new port in it. Any help will be greatly apprecated!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
The device came with a receiver and a charger.
When you say that it came with a 'receiver' you mean a new back for your phone (which connects to the little contacts near the battery)?

Do you have a case on the phone? If the case is too thick it could interfere with the induction charging.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
This?

Amazon.com: Lerway Wireless Qi Power Charger Pad for Lumia920 HTC 8X S4 S3 Note II (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

That's only half of what you need. As GSDer suggests, you need a Qi compatible charging back for your phone, too, like this:

Amazon.com: Qi Wireless Power Perfectly Back Cover Case Charging Receiver for Samsung Galaxy S3 III i9300 500-800mA (Dark Blue): Cell Phones & Accessories

But make sure you get a back for your specific version of the S3. The ones for Verizon are different, and I think the international (i9300) versions are different than the other US versions.

Monzaandroid

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It didnt come with the special back just some off brand receiver. Im sorry for not being so specific I just made an account on here to try and get some form of help on this, But since this hasnt worked I plan on ordering a special back for it and a new charging port. The port replacement looks extremely simple now that I 've watched some youtube videos on it. I think mine is the i9300 but im not 100% sure. Thanks for the help guys! :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I think mine is the i9300 but im not 100% sure.
That's something that you need to be sure of. When the phone is working you can look in Settings -> More (if using the Tab view) -> About phone and look at 'Device name'.

If the phone isn't working then remove the back and take the battery out and there should be a sticker there with the model number and IMEI.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

lynnmarie93

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
My wireless charger will not work either. I have both pieces and according to the company that sold it to me it works with a Samsung Galaxy S3 I535. My phone says charging and gives me a percentage, but when i checked it 20 minutes later my charge had gone down instead of up. I thought maybe I needed a new battery considering mine did not want to hold a charge before. My new battery just came in and it will not charge it either. I bought this because my charging port is broke and I needed a cheap solution. Can anyone help me?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
My phone says charging and gives me a percentage, but when i checked it 20 minutes later my charge had gone down instead of up.
Perhaps there are a couple of things to try or to take into consideration before deciding that your Qi charger isn't working properly:
1. Is the phone in a case when you are placing it on the charging pad? This technology only works at a very short distance (we're talking millimeters here) so if the bare phone back is not directly on the charging pad there will be a reduction in charging capability.
2. Is the phone centered on the charging pad? There should be a mark or something to indicate the ideal placement of the phone; if it's not in the ideal location there will be a reduction in charging capability.
3. By its very nature, induction charging is not as efficient as a direct connection - so, if it used to take two hours to fully charge your phone, induction charging will take longer. How much longer depends on several factors including the two previously mentioned, along with the quality of the charging back and charging pad. I'm not an expert in this area, nor have I researched current data, but assume anywhere from 20 to 30 percent longer. (If you need hard data rather than a guesstimate I'm sure a Google search will turn something up.)
4. Try turning the phone completely off and time how long it takes to fully charge - this will act as your baseline (it'll never charge faster than this).
5. Try booting into Safe mode http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/59242 and time how long it takes - there are no 3rd party applications running to chew up power.
6. Put the phone in Airplane mode and time how long it takes - this will be your next fastest time since the cellular radio, Mobile data radio and Wi-Fi radio are turned off (although you can turn Wi-Fi back on if you need some kind of network connection).

Note that the previous suggestions assume that you're starting charging at the same discharge amount and all other factors are the same.

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
try recalibrating the battery level monitor in the phone by:

1. Performing a "Clear Cache Partition", google that if you don't know how. Mine took about 20 minutes to clear the first time i did it (Droid Turbo)
2. With phone powered off, plug into a wall charger directly into the charging port, NOT through Qi. Let it charge to 100% and then let it keep charging beyond that point for at least another hour or more.

This recalibrates the battery indicator and may cure the problem. I would be interested in knowing if it helps, as I am researching wireless charging issues in general.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie