GT-i9300 Galaxy S3 and S3 Mini will not get KitKat - Thoughts

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So, it's been confirmed on this (amazing) website that the international (GT-i9300) S3 and the S3 Mini will not get KitKat. For many of us in the US, it's not such a big deal because our version has different specs. For others around the world, and those rocking those handsets (including me), it's a big slap in the face. :mad:

I'm truly disappointed in Samsung for doing this. They claim that the S3 couldn't run KK due to RAM limitations. Funny thing is, over at XDA Developers, there are a bunch of KitKat ROMs for the S3. There's even a ROM based on the S5's software (running Android 4.3, though) for the S3.

Now, I'm not sure why this has happened. Maybe they tried adding new features but resulted in too much bloat, or they're simply too lazy to update it, or just want to force S3 users to upgrade to an S5.

What are your thoughts on this? Leave a comment below. ;)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
They claim that the S3 couldn't run KK due to RAM limitations.
The really funny thing is that Google claims that KitKat is optimized to require less memory (IIRC they said it would run on phones with only 512MB RAM).

With that being said, the S3 is two years old and it's pretty common for manufacturers and carriers to stop supporting devices that old. (I didn't say that it's right; just that it's what we've come to expect.)

Let your voice be heard and complain directly to Samsung (I doubt they bother reading the forums)!
File a class-action lawsuit!
Start an online petition!

Or speak with your wallet and make your next device a Nexus and receive updates direct from Google.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The really funny thing is that Google claims that KitKat is optimized to require less memory (IIRC they said it would run on phones with only 512MB RAM).

With that being said, the S3 is two years old and it's pretty common for manufacturers and carriers to stop supporting devices that old. (I didn't say that it's right; just that it's what we've come to expect.)

Let your voice be heard and complain directly to Samsung (I doubt they bother reading the forums)!
File a class-action lawsuit!
Start an online petition!

Or speak with your wallet and make your next device a Nexus and receive updates direct from Google.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

I've bought a HTC One mainly because I wanted to stand out from the pack. Now, I'm going to be sticking with them and maybe get a Nexus tablet.

Well, if you own a carrier version, then it's no big deal.

Samsung, THAT phone helped got you to where you are now. It was the best phone you've ever made. And now, you're abandoning it, after only 2 major updates?

I'm done with this. Thank god there's XDA Developers.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma