Digitizer cracked...use another?

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
While following online directions to replace a cracked screen it looks (visually) like we cracked the digitizer. we always keep the old phone ad a "backup" phone so she isn't out a phone....just all shades of p*$#!? off at me. Our contract is up in a few months, so she doesn't want to put the $100 into the phone that we are seeing online for pricing. Can we buy one of those as-is broken eBay phones and trade it out? Its a Verizon phone, would we have to find a Verizon phone, or since we are trading the whole assembly out can we use any version?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Waaait. The first thing you were trying to replace, was it the glass or the colored panel behind the glass? Because $100 for the glass seems high.

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
The glass and the colored front so to say......in removing that we cracked what was behind it, which looks (from graphics) to be the digitizer.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Any US model phone screen should work. Not sure about the i9300 international version. Some of it's internals are different, so the screen may be, too.

Note that most people who have tried to replace just the digitizer, separately from the glass, find it doesn't work nearly as well. The assembly is normally glued together, and when you reassemble the pieces without the physical connection the digitizer is, apparently, much less sensitive.

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
That was the plan this time since we've failed miserably at just replacing the glass the first time. My thought was to get one of the bad esn phones on eBay and just tear it down for the screen, digitizer and LCD assembly

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Or, take the guts out of an Ebay phone, and replace them with your own.
Trying to replace either the digitizer or screen will result in them being broken into tiny pieces.

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
My plan was to take the screen, LCD, and digitizer out of the eBay phone and put it on hers